Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chimex
11.07.2012 , 10:46 AM | #231
For mercs, I think something that would give us a hand would be "movable death from above." Being able to move while using DFA would give us a bit of mobility and a good escape mechanism. Of course, the template itself should be stationary, and cancel only if interupted or out of range
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

Lionflash
11.07.2012 , 10:49 AM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by chimex View Post
For mercs, I think something that would give us a hand would be "movable death from above." Being able to move while using DFA would give us a bit of mobility and a good escape mechanism. Of course, the template itself should be stationary, and cancel only if interupted or out of range
Haha, that would look so funny/awesome. Mercs should be able to fly around and onto ledges and stuff.

They should be like Reapers from StarCraft 2.

Phasersablaze
11.07.2012 , 11:19 AM | #233
Please give us something unique and useful to PVP. Something that would make us a valuable asset to a RWZ team.

1) Superior DPS (Like Pyro PTs. They don't need that much survivability cause everything that comes close to them melts)

2) Superior survivability (Marauders don't even need awesome dps because they can outlast their opponent with superior defensive cooldowns. Of course they actually do have massive dps but that's beside the point.)

3) Superior Mobility (Mele can Jump to a target on a completely different level of Huttball. Sins can Force Speed every 15 secs. Maras can frequently Predate. These are serious assets to OBJECTIVE GAMEPLAY. Hint Hint jetpack leap ability to target area would not be too much to ask for.

Notice: An escape mechanism WILL NOT HELP US because PVP is completely OBJECTIVE BASED. Winning in pvp has nothing to do with how much you die.

DashaAdair
11.07.2012 , 11:24 AM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
After looking at this again I realized the mobility faction may be winning internally. Stop it. I don't want 'escapes' unless it does not require movement. Commandos are a primarilty a stationary class with stationary characteristics. It shares some character with Gunslingers. You can put mobility in the Assault tree if you want (I think putting a little mobility as an optional choice is fine), but as a rule retain the stationary character of Commandos. For Gunnery/CM think base of fire or support. You move only when you absolutely have to, not constantly or often.

If you don't want to waste a lot of effort like you did with 1.4 I would strongly advise you float what you are considering long before you start coding a solution.

Phasersablaze
11.07.2012 , 11:27 AM | #235
I take it back. There is a way an escape ability could be also objective based.

Jet-Pack Jettison - The Mercenary activates his jetpack to fly straight up in the air 15m. The dust raised causes everyone within 5m of the mercenary to be blinded for 5 seconds. While in the air the mercenary can guide himself in any direction for the duration of the ability (5 secs). Mele can not leap to a mercenary in the air, but the mercenary cannot cast spells either because it acts like a channeled ability.

We still need some type of entrench ability to counter the mele madness, but this would also help quite a bit.

BobaStyx
11.07.2012 , 11:32 AM | #236
Oh god not another stun....
Mawgwi - Mara - McGirth - Sniper - Mowri - Merc Heals - Azishess - Assassin - Mègatron - Jugg -

AsiriusNazriel
11.07.2012 , 12:01 PM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Lol, your arrogance to ignorance ratio is off the charts. I love how you keep posting in my threads, even when you have no idea what you're talking about. I think I got under somebody's skin.

Plenty of changes to the class? Hardly, but keep thinking that. Anyone who spammed gravround was bad anyways. Oh, you had problems beating grav round spammers? Then you're even worse.

Here's some advice: stick to your marauder threads, because your knowledge of classes only extends that far, if even. Leave the other classes to the big boys.
Didn't know you owned the thread? We gotta pay royalties to post here? You make a thread on a forum, expect people to respond, unless it's locked.

You mean the big boy who hasn't touched his Commando since January? Or who plays his sentinel and keeps on QQing about how OP they are, with no real evidence posted to back it up? Your knowledge is laughable because all you do is flame people who disagree with you instead of providing discourse and intelligent conversations.

What you want me to requote your big boy talk that discourages differing opinions? Must really take a big boy to tear down someone else's opinion. So big, so huge. I mean, humongous boy really. But alas, just a boy.
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

TeganKing
11.07.2012 , 12:22 PM | #238
We certainly need some tweaking and adjusting and I have faith it will happen eventually. With that in mind lets all get together with our creative collective mind and submit some ideas on new abilities or modifying current abilities.

Any ideas you have for the Mercenary or Commando advanced classes can be added to this thread I just started in the Commando forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=552043

I think an escape ability could be useful, but maybe something to encourage others around us and discourage our enemies is just what the leader of Havoc Squad or an Infamous Bounty Hunter needs!

Jyx Kingstar
Commando
Jung Ma

Phasersablaze
11.07.2012 , 12:31 PM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by TeganKing View Post
We certainly need some tweaking and adjusting and I have faith it will happen eventually. With that in mind lets all get together with our creative collective mind and submit some ideas on new abilities or modifying current abilities.

Any ideas you have for the Mercenary or Commando advanced classes can be added to this thread I just started in the Commando forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=552043

I think an escape ability could be useful, but maybe something to encourage others around us and discourage our enemies is just what the leader of Havoc Squad or an Infamous Bounty Hunter needs!

Jyx Kingstar
Commando
Jung Ma
Why post in your thread when there are dozens of threads like that that have been active for months?

Asukaa
11.07.2012 , 01:26 PM | #240
I think I got it.... Commando/Merc should get a passive ability. The closer the Commando/Merc is to his target increases dmg %. Give something like 30% increase dmg when in melee range of target. 15% when 10m. And 0% when 30m. That would make the need to "escape" nil. We can call it "In For The Kill"

I think that would put us at the same level of Vanguards/Powertechs. It'll make people think twice before leaping in at us.

Thoughts?

Edit: Make it "Vs Player" only. So it doesn't effect PVE.
25 minute Assault Commando pvp video: http://youtu.be/7wM0QXWBwoE
Duck'bumps (Assault Commando) vs Silch (Focus Guardian) all 5 Rounds (Silch POV): http://youtu.be/R_S_DQKOvd8