Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

yoomazir's Avatar


yoomazir
05.23.2013 , 12:51 AM | #2361
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
idk, smash is one of the most telegraphed abilities in the game. shii-cho form warrior/knight leaps to your merc? pop decoy, and there is a 90% chance you absorb smash.
Does decoy work on pvp? Didn't seem in my experience.

Nightkin's Avatar


Nightkin
05.23.2013 , 12:53 AM | #2362
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
Does decoy work on pvp? Didn't seem in my experience.
It does work, but it does not absorb smash since smash is a AOE. It only absorbs direct dmg force attacks on you.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
05.23.2013 , 01:31 AM | #2363
Yeah, decoy doesn't work on smash. It will help with force screams though.
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

PerinnAybara's Avatar


PerinnAybara
05.23.2013 , 07:54 AM | #2364
I love how the snipers are pissed off at Mercenaries because we keep comparing the two classes. They don't want to be nerfed to our level so they try to get rid of the complaints before it happens.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.23.2013 , 09:41 AM | #2365
Quote: Originally Posted by PerinnAybara View Post
I love how the snipers are pissed off at Mercenaries because we keep comparing the two classes. They don't want to be nerfed to our level so they try to get rid of the complaints before it happens.
lol It is fun to watch.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

stringcat's Avatar


stringcat
05.23.2013 , 09:51 AM | #2366
Quote: Originally Posted by PerinnAybara View Post
I've never been easy to kill. Even in 1.7. I know how to play my class. Regardless, 40 straight seconds of entrench in Engineering definitely outdoes merc survivability when preventing people from capping a node.
40 seconds of Entrench does not happen. A sniper does not stay in the same place for 40 seconds and live; a huge chunk of sniper survivability comes from ballistic dampers, which are reset by leaving/entering cover. What the refresh of Entrench ACTUALLY does is give Engineering snipers a second chance with their Entrench, after someone drops an Orbital Strike on their position, they've been pulled out of cover by a MM sniper, they need to LOS one or two ranged attackers, and similar.

Entrench can prevent people from capping a node, but cannot stop people from killing you fairly easily -- particularly if you're bloody-minded about maximizing uptime on Entrench.

Quote:
I love how the snipers are pissed off at Mercenaries because we keep comparing the two classes. They don't want to be nerfed to our level so they try to get rid of the complaints before it happens.
It's because Mercs seem to want to have all of the advantages of being a sniper, without being a sniper, while losing none of their own advantages as Mercs. And because, frankly, much of it comes across as whining about 36/36/36 specs by people who don't play or understand the class. (Like 40 seconds of entrench. Hah!)

Frankly, I think Mercs are fine. A Merc I play with regularly almost always is top of the damage charts in warzones; the only time she is ever outdone in raw output, it's by the very best smashers on the server. (And I'm talking the top three to four). And it's single-target.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
05.23.2013 , 09:58 AM | #2367
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Yeah, decoy doesn't work on smash. It will help with force screams though.
this makes me incredibly sad.

that explains why i thought it was buggy.....
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Lowyjowylof's Avatar


Lowyjowylof
05.23.2013 , 10:30 AM | #2368
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
It's because Mercs seem to want to have all of the advantages of being a sniper, without being a sniper, while losing none of their own advantages as Mercs. And because, frankly, much of it comes across as whining about 36/36/36 specs by people who don't play or understand the class. (Like 40 seconds of entrench. Hah!)

Frankly, I think Mercs are fine. A Merc I play with regularly almost always is top of the damage charts in warzones; the only time she is ever outdone in raw output, it's by the very best smashers on the server. (And I'm talking the top three to four). And it's single-target.
Again...this thread is about enhancing or giving tools to the Merc/Commando to make them RWZ viable, not murdering derps in WZs. They are better in 2.0, however they still need some work.

With all of the elemental/internal damage thrown around in PvP in general and the short TTK, there is absolutely no advantage to wearing heavy armor over medium when superior DCDs make the difference in a short fight.

Don't give me ~2 maybe 3% damage reduction that does not apply to crits or internal and elemental damage. Sniper/Slinger DCDs are head and shoulders above anything Commando/Merc have, plus you have interrupt immunity and better abilities for creating and maintaining space.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
05.23.2013 , 10:48 AM | #2369
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
the results will show that Merc is designed for a game with much slower paced combat.

our average utility skill cooldown is 87.5s, median 105s (10 abilities)
sniper's is 84.375, median 60s (8 abilities)

the averages are close, but the sniper median is ~40% lower than merc's.
thats back like 20 pages now, but you can see the problem.

our median utility skill cooldown is 40s greater. which means is that 50% of Merc utility skills have cooldowns greater than 105s.

kolto overload, power surge, and thermal sensor override need shorter cooldowns. imo, 120s for KO, and 60s for PS and TSO.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

PerinnAybara's Avatar


PerinnAybara
05.23.2013 , 08:32 PM | #2370
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
thats back like 20 pages now, but you can see the problem.

our median utility skill cooldown is 40s greater. which means is that 50% of Merc utility skills have cooldowns greater than 105s.

kolto overload, power surge, and thermal sensor override need shorter cooldowns. imo, 120s for KO, and 60s for PS and TSO.
Psh, we need to make a chart of abilities. Maybe a bar chart since that's how the developers like to view things.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five