Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthBloodloss
05.10.2013 , 12:49 PM | #2271
Pyro needs more damage somehow. Survivability is excellent now. With a root breaker + speed burst + immunity, another root breaker, and an instant cast heal...we can easily LOS other ranged classes if the opportunity is there. And a spammable snare along with electro net is enough to not be an auto-kill for melee toons.

But our burst, and damage output in general, is not enough for PvP. Gonna have to check out Arsenal this weekend I guess.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Choffware
05.10.2013 , 02:46 PM | #2272
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
Pyro needs more damage somehow. Survivability is excellent now. With a root breaker + speed burst + immunity, another root breaker, and an instant cast heal...we can easily LOS other ranged classes if the opportunity is there. And a spammable snare along with electro net is enough to not be an auto-kill for melee toons.

But our burst, and damage output in general, is not enough for PvP. Gonna have to check out Arsenal this weekend I guess.
same survivability much better burst. I actually do more overall as pyro but I kill much more efficiently as arsenal.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

scraycroft
05.10.2013 , 02:55 PM | #2273
Quote: Originally Posted by RankorSSGS View Post
Arsenal mercs are being used regularly in RWZs on The Bastion, and doing really well. It's all about player skill.
This. I've been seeing em do pretty well
Malystriz PuffinStuff
The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
They added alacrity to the gear so you can taunt things faster and accuracy is there so the fast taunts don't miss, fly off and taunt a tree or something.

T-Assassin
05.10.2013 , 03:48 PM | #2274
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Strangely, I actually think there is a glimmer of hope for Merc Arsenal.

Not for Merc Pyro though. As we have seen from Merc Arsenal's history, a subclass must remain dead for 3-4 months before BW gives them any air whatsoever. And by dead, I mean "no one" is using that spec in normal warzones. And by "no one" I mean literally zero matches played on a server for a week. There are people still using Merc Pyro. So it is not technically dead. Maybe by July people will give up the ghost. Which would imply that maybe by November, Merc Pyro *might* get a minor buff. Nothing that would matter, but maybe some fixing of bugs that act to nerf Merc Pyro (like the Sweltering Heat bug). What is a bit of uncharted territory for Merc Pyro is how BW will manage Merc Pyro given that BW still will be nerfing PT Pyro for at least another six months. It is possible that Merc Pyro will continue to get side swiped.

But back to Arsenal. Why am I semi-optimistic about the subclass? Because more people are playing it. And as always is the case when that happens, the new entrants aren't very good. So the subclasses meta average is getting lower. Which means more buffs are possible down the road. I will say that the size of the influx of new Arsenal/Gunnery players is not large. We need that to increase so we get more low skill players using the platform. But the numbers are headed in the right direction.

So what do we have to do? Nothing really. Just hope (or convince) more people pick up Arsenal/Gunnery. The rest takes care of itself.
I'm pickin up what you putting down. Logic and history.

So, pretty much go find something else to play...Merc/Pyro (Firebug, I go way back ) and VG/Assault are my "mains".

Kinda figured...
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Macroeconomics
05.10.2013 , 03:57 PM | #2275
Quote: Originally Posted by scraycroft View Post
This. I've been seeing em do pretty well
From a pure damage output standpoint, the conventional dps picks (Assassin, melee dps, sniper) for a rwz team are better than Merc Arsenal. They also have more utility. But Merc Arsenal does have the advantage of providing a team armor debuff. But right now the only reason a rwz team would pick a Arsenal/Gunnery toon is that the player piloting it is very skilled and doesn't have the correct dps subclass available, i.e. it's the player that is making the Arsenal toon effective, not the subclass.

Merc Pyro is not as survivable as Merc Arsenal. And the reason why is that you can't use mezz/cc effectively. All DoT subclasses have this handicap, and it's worst for Merc Pyro because their subclass is specifically given a dedicated mezz ability compared to PT Pyro in order to compensate for other weaknesses. But the Pyro's mezz ability is worthless in PvP.

Bluntron
05.11.2013 , 08:58 AM | #2276
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post

Ironically Pyro potentially does more dmg then arsenal, it just has ZERO burst. Its all consistent steady damage.

JaingSkiratapwns
05.11.2013 , 10:24 AM | #2277
Arsenal/gunnery is good right now, I don't see why this thread is still around. Pyro/assault spec is bad, but I don't see why you think that's going to change anytime soon, it's not like you are the only class that has a useless spec.
......Meh

KhalDrogoe
05.11.2013 , 12:20 PM | #2278
I have no problem 1v1 anyone with my 0/28/18 Hybrid Spec. It's quite hilarious to wonder what they're thinking as my merc just dominates them.

Iraq-Lobster, Wakwa, The Marshmallow Legacy POT5
Bloobies - JC

T-Assassin
05.11.2013 , 12:44 PM | #2279
Quote: Originally Posted by KhalDrogoe View Post
I have no problem 1v1 anyone with my 0/28/18 Hybrid Spec. It's quite hilarious to wonder what they're thinking as my merc just dominates them.
Let me know when they open ranked 1v1's.

Then I'll ask for that spec.

For the time being, I was hoping for a bit more viability in team, rankeds and PvP in general...Team PvP, that is.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

PerinnAybara
05.12.2013 , 06:36 AM | #2280
Quote: Originally Posted by JaingSkiratapwns View Post
Arsenal/gunnery is good right now, I don't see why this thread is still around. Pyro/assault spec is bad, but I don't see why you think that's going to change anytime soon, it's not like you are the only class that has a useless spec.
That's because you're not seeing it from the perspective of a Mercenary trying to get into rateds. We're not good enough.

Do we have an execute? Do we have a heal debuff (like snipers) Do we provide a crowd aoe shield? Do we provide much utility? Do we have an aoe denial of area ability (snipers) Under focus, does our damage remain the same? (Snipers and other damage classes)

Snipers execute is silly in how much damage it does and only way to dodge it is to los. While basically every ability in our belt is shutdown by ranged and melee interrupts, as well as stuns and knockbacks. Snipers don't have that issue.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five