Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
05.08.2013 , 01:00 PM | #2261
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
My final, fleeting suggestion is perhaps calling for a vote of "No confidence" in the PvP development "team".

anyone have any better ideas, that might ACTUALLY come to fruition?

Given the complete debacle that 2.0 has been...this isn't a terribly bad idea - they "may" be prone to listening. How do you start? Ask Eric? Email EA? Bioware?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

T-Assassin
05.08.2013 , 01:16 PM | #2262
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Given the complete debacle that 2.0 has been...this isn't a terribly bad idea - they "may" be prone to listening. How do you start? Ask Eric? Email EA? Bioware?
That's the tricky part, nowadays. it is difficult to do, being heard, without power and/or money.

...politics, media, technology rant aside...

A petition is always a start.

Perhaps a social media call to arms? I don't facebook or twitter...but, I see the potential power there. Forums is a good place, but you only reach a MINORITY of players.

I guess start somewhere, see if it generates any excitement, and go from there...

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

TUXs
05.08.2013 , 01:20 PM | #2263

That's the tricky part, nowadays. it is difficult to do, being heard, without power and/or money.

...politics, media, technology rant aside...

A petition is always a start.

Perhaps a social media call to arms? I don't facebook or twitter...but, I see the potential power there. Forums is a good place, but you only reach a MINORITY of players.

I guess start somewhere, see if it generates any excitement, and go from there...

Perhaps reddit? Bioware has directly replied there before.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

T-Assassin
05.08.2013 , 01:28 PM | #2264
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Perhaps reddit? Bioware has directly replied there before.
I'd say everywhere you can...FB, redstuff, twits-er...I have no time for that stuff, generally, but, I can see the power they wield.

That ^, in conjunction with smart posts in general, PvP, and your server forums requesting support, opinion, and discussion might be a start.

I think nothing will happen or change. CC generates enough money to keep SWTOR relevant...what does PvP generate? more manpower and resources...I've been a cog in the corporate machine, and if you're not making money, you're not part of the solution, just sayin'...

I will support however I can.

Transcendent
05.08.2013 , 05:12 PM | #2265
Yep I have one, let the class die at higher level. Don't get me wrong, I love playing my merc, it's my first toon and also my main. I've given it some time in PVP and can clearly see it's outclassed...... by pretty much everything unless it's controlled by someone who doesn't know how to play their class. No way on earth i'd consider using it for rated, it gets shut down by a good pug team far too fast so i'd dread what a well organised team would do to it ... free kill? .

I've rolled an operative that i'm levelling for end game PVP, and from what i've seen in PVP they look like fun to play.

Merc is just frustrating as it stands right now, and just whoop at the full stack in the patch, doesn't take into account target lock for arse does it? Still need to build that up. No point reducing someones armour, and not being able to deal out the damage.

Clearly the PVP team don't play any AC merc.

cashogy_reborn
05.08.2013 , 09:15 PM | #2266
gunnery and assault are now equally easy to shut down.

both specs can do the "one cast and move" type of hit-and-run playstyle which was very viable with pre 2.0 assault.
both specs rely on a 3s channel and a 1.5s cast for damage output/buffs/procs.

the amount of CC and survival skills vary, but gunnery has a slight lead in those categories. plus gunnery can dish out some serious deeps in a very short amount of time now.

in the larger picture of things, commando/merc has not moved far up the totem poll. the only real change is that gunnery and assault have switched places as far as what is more viable/effective in PvP
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

T-Assassin
05.09.2013 , 01:10 PM | #2267
Page 3?

You done, son?

RankorSSGS
05.09.2013 , 01:12 PM | #2268
Arsenal mercs are being used regularly in RWZs on The Bastion, and doing really well. It's all about player skill.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion

Macroeconomics
05.10.2013 , 02:20 AM | #2269

Strangely, I actually think there is a glimmer of hope for Merc Arsenal.

Not for Merc Pyro though. As we have seen from Merc Arsenal's history, a subclass must remain dead for 3-4 months before BW gives them any air whatsoever. And by dead, I mean "no one" is using that spec in normal warzones. And by "no one" I mean literally zero matches played on a server for a week. There are people still using Merc Pyro. So it is not technically dead. Maybe by July people will give up the ghost. Which would imply that maybe by November, Merc Pyro *might* get a minor buff. Nothing that would matter, but maybe some fixing of bugs that act to nerf Merc Pyro (like the Sweltering Heat bug). What is a bit of uncharted territory for Merc Pyro is how BW will manage Merc Pyro given that BW still will be nerfing PT Pyro for at least another six months. It is possible that Merc Pyro will continue to get side swiped.

But back to Arsenal. Why am I semi-optimistic about the subclass? Because more people are playing it. And as always is the case when that happens, the new entrants aren't very good. So the subclasses meta average is getting lower. Which means more buffs are possible down the road. I will say that the size of the influx of new Arsenal/Gunnery players is not large. We need that to increase so we get more low skill players using the platform. But the numbers are headed in the right direction.

So what do we have to do? Nothing really. Just hope (or convince) more people pick up Arsenal/Gunnery. The rest takes care of itself.

FatEdd
05.10.2013 , 09:48 AM | #2270
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Strangely, I actually think there is a glimmer of hope for Merc Arsenal.

Not for Merc Pyro though. As we have seen from Merc Arsenal's history, a subclass must remain dead for 3-4 months before BW gives them any air whatsoever. And by dead, I mean "no one" is using that spec in normal warzones. And by "no one" I mean literally zero matches played on a server for a week. There are people still using Merc Pyro. So it is not technically dead. Maybe by July people will give up the ghost. Which would imply that maybe by November, Merc Pyro *might* get a minor buff. Nothing that would matter, but maybe some fixing of bugs that act to nerf Merc Pyro (like the Sweltering Heat bug). What is a bit of uncharted territory for Merc Pyro is how BW will manage Merc Pyro given that BW still will be nerfing PT Pyro for at least another six months. It is possible that Merc Pyro will continue to get side swiped.

But back to Arsenal. Why am I semi-optimistic about the subclass? Because more people are playing it. And as always is the case when that happens, the new entrants aren't very good. So the subclasses meta average is getting lower. Which means more buffs are possible down the road. I will say that the size of the influx of new Arsenal/Gunnery players is not large. We need that to increase so we get more low skill players using the platform. But the numbers are headed in the right direction.

So what do we have to do? Nothing really. Just hope (or convince) more people pick up Arsenal/Gunnery. The rest takes care of itself.
Well the biggest problem is the survivability which any Merc or Commando knows. Other than that, I am able to deal out large amounts of damage on my Merc whether primaried or not, as are people like people Corden. Having grouped with him recently, he is consistent in his damage and will do what seems on average around 600k damage, which I think as averages go, is pretty good. Problem like people say and what is frustrating to hell is once you are locked down you might as well just kiss everything goodbye, unless you have dedicated healing. Do not see that happening to much with the other classes??. Of course other classes would claim they have it hard, nada, me not thinks so. Other classes who have never played Merc to a high level simply have not got a clue, period.

When I compare the Merc to pretty much any class, more specifically Snipers or Smash Marauders as a few examples, the Merc is outclassed, but not to the extent where the Merc is useless. I would however, like a button that chokes someone, then 1 hits them from half health to death. That would be lovely thanks. People say try being a Marauder, it is difficult and we have to press more than a few buttons and we have it so hard, blah, blah, and ermm, whatever, lol. What Choke button and then 1 hit kill button, that is a lot of buttons to press for some people obviously, and maybe you are also really pro at Pacman ye?. Try coping with heat issues (although this can be managed through experience) :P, along with having to try and be as mobile as humanly possible to get in the right locations (MORE than any other class, period) and having to use every ability known to the Merc to compete, then you will see what a difficult class it is to PvP with. That is a lot of buttons to press I can assure you. People who say I get frustrated easily, well ye, because quite frankly why should I go and build a class I simply do not wish to play?, that is the easy option isn't it. I do not do easy. Takes balls to play a Merc or even a Commando in PvP these days, and even more so now we have what I can only describe as healing vs healing battles now, which are what are really killing PvP at present.

Not sure what Bioware can do about it tbh. People say buff us, well I do not think we need any damage buffs, and I think at the end of the day, you just have to use your brains with a Merc or Commando, and maybe that is what Bioware wanted all along. A class where you actually have to think to do combat, not mindless choke and 1 kill hit wonders, which ye, does do my head in, but really if I can hide my frustrations, ultimately deep down you know your one of the best on a hugely difficult class, so eh, fingers up to ya :P,lol.