Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Macroeconomics
05.02.2013 , 07:49 PM | #2191
Quote: Originally Posted by texoc View Post
As i said, it works fine in Ranked.
Then you played bads. An enemy Arsenal/Gunnery is still easy to shut down by assigning you Jugg tank to get him. The Arsenal/Gunnery's output will fall by about 50% and the Jugg's output will be completely unaffected.

Right now Merc dps is at the exact same place it was circa 1.4. One Merc dps subclass is useless in pvp. One Merc dps subclass relies on weak opponents to be successful. The only difference is that the particular subclasses (Arsenal & Pyro) have switched places.

T-Assassin
05.03.2013 , 01:44 AM | #2192
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Right now Merc dps is at the exact same place it was circa 1.4. One Merc dps subclass is useless in pvp. One Merc dps subclass relies on weak opponents to be successful. The only difference is that the particular subclasses (Arsenal & Pyro) have switched places.
back on page one.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Astarica
05.03.2013 , 01:53 AM | #2193
Then you played bads. An enemy Arsenal/Gunnery is still easy to shut down by assigning you Jugg tank to get him. The Arsenal/Gunnery's output will fall by about 50% and the Jugg's output will be completely unaffected.

If a tank is on the Merc he's likely too far away to guard his healer. That doesn't necessarily make the decision a bad one but nothing is truly free in this game. If losing 50% of a merc's DPS gets rid of one guard, there are definitely scenarios where I'll take that.

Macroeconomics
05.03.2013 , 02:04 AM | #2194
Quote: Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
If a tank is on the Merc he's likely too far away to guard his healer. That doesn't necessarily make the decision a bad one but nothing is truly free in this game. If losing 50% of a merc's DPS gets rid of one guard, there are definitely scenarios where I'll take that.
There is that trade-off. But consider this - if the tank had spent his time taunting successfully 100% of the time, he'd only be cutting 30% of a single player's dps. This is cutting 50% of a single player's dps (in both cases I think we can assume the tank is skilled enough to get off his AoE taunt normally). You do lose the damage dispersion effect on your healer but....

...in practice the enemy Arsenal is usually in the rear enemy ranks. So when your tank goes to chase him, he is in the enemy midst which tends to draw enemy fire. Which is what you want. So additional damage mitigation usually occurs...

ArchangelLBC
05.03.2013 , 02:35 AM | #2195
60s TO and RP. Make it happen BW.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Astarica
05.03.2013 , 02:48 AM | #2196
There is that trade-off. But consider this - if the tank had spent his time taunting successfully 100% of the time, he'd only be cutting 30% of a single player's dps. This is cutting 50% of a single player's dps (in both cases I think we can assume the tank is skilled enough to get off his AoE taunt normally). You do lose the damage dispersion effect on your healer but....

...in practice the enemy Arsenal is usually in the rear enemy ranks. So when your tank goes to chase him, he is in the enemy midst which tends to draw enemy fire. Which is what you want. So additional damage mitigation usually occurs...
People in the rear are usually ranged DPS, and they could just continue attacking the healer that is no longer guarded (I'm assuming your healer doesn't just run up there to ensure he still gets Guard, that'd be pretty suicidal). It's probably a net positive for the tank just because he probably shut down more DPS via interrupting than the value of his Guard normaly would get, but it's not free. There are times you definitely want to separate the tank and whoever he's guarding even if you have to give up some DPS, so this isn't an unconditionally positive move.

ArchangelLBC
05.03.2013 , 02:55 AM | #2197
He doesn't have to be out of range for long. Leap to merc, push him into your group, leap back (via Guardian Leap/Intercede or your reset force leap). If the tank is a shadow or vanguard you don't even have to do that, just pull them.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Astarica
05.03.2013 , 03:03 AM | #2198
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
He doesn't have to be out of range for long. Leap to merc, push him into your group, leap back (via Guardian Leap/Intercede or your reset force leap). If the tank is a shadow or vanguard you don't even have to do that, just pull them.
The only class that isn't vulnerable to that is a Sniper, and you'd probably be better off trying to grab a healer anyway. I'm sure the healers would prefer the Merc eat the grapple instead of themselves.

TUXs
05.03.2013 , 09:39 AM | #2199
We're not giving up on this thread, are we?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Osxoba
05.03.2013 , 09:50 AM | #2200
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
We're not giving up on this thread, are we?
Of course not. It's only a matter of time before it reaches the all time top commented thread.