Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Choffware
04.26.2013 , 10:54 AM | #2121
Quote: Originally Posted by SkinzOCAU View Post
Choffware - I agree with you, arsenal and gunnery is better now. As for kiting and breaking up players, I can kite well. I pvp with three guilds and they respect what I can do with my Commando, however, we lack both the sustained and front end burst to make us effective enough at this role. Plus it is a very niche role, and it is incredibly unfair to pigeon hole us into this one tiny aspect of the game that is useless in most warzones.
Well I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the tool set... I think we have enough front end burst to play that role well now. Sticky dart, fm, tm, HSM unload... is pretty good to open with... Especially if PS and TO are up and barrage procs... the only stand and cast there would be unload. so pretty good to open.. even if there is no barrage or PS and TO up. But I agree it's very niche... and for some players counter intuitive.

Also in regulars when there isn't as much structure or coordination with teams we really shine there. Mercs are kicking arse in free for alls now. Only the mercs that try to stand still and TM spam my Marauder are easy kills. But half way decent ones are tough especially if I get stupid and try to chase them.
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

cashogy_reborn
04.26.2013 , 10:58 AM | #2122
Quote: Originally Posted by FatEdd View Post
I dunno, some commandos, 1 in specific who is I and most of us think, Zachariah is quite frankly just good at that class and could make any class that is underpowered look overpowered to be honest,lol. Out of all the Commando's that guy is one tough ombre to take out and is streets above the rest of us whether Merc or Commando, but it is good to fight against him always, sneaky player not to be triffled with. But there are some Merc's like that as well, maybe not quite as heavy on the damage, but equally as sneaky and just know the class.

So really, it is upto the individual isn't it?. Some were good before 2.0, so ya know, we all know Merc and Mando is the most difficult class to master in the game. That commands respect to keep playing them in my eyes. I enjoy my Merc, sure I take some savage hits sometimes, but I also can dish it if given space to do so.

All I know is, that I am convinced things are that little bit better. I can not help but say though, apart from Zachariah, most other Commando's are pretty squishy,lol :P.
to perform at that level with merc/mando requires you to play at an absurd skill level. if you take the same player, and put them at the controls of a sniper or a mara, just imagine what they could do.....
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Osxoba
04.26.2013 , 11:18 AM | #2123
Perhaps bioware is afraid that if they make us on par with other classes, the absurd amount of skill of many strong commandos, would be considered OP.

cashogy_reborn
04.26.2013 , 12:02 PM | #2124
Quote: Originally Posted by Osxoba View Post
Perhaps bioware is afraid that if they make us on par with other classes, the absurd amount of skill of many strong commandos, would be considered OP.
or the more likely scenario is that the mando/merc population has dwindled to us die-hards. and we have been playing the class the longest, have the most experience with it, the greatest character progression, etc. if someone is still playing a commando in max level PvP, they are likely good at it.

so when AP goes to look at his meta-average metrics, a larger % of mando/mercs are highly skilled players, which pushes the metrics higher than other meta-averages. when in fact, he should be comparing the top 5% of each class, rather than giving weight to every single member of each class.

ie: there are 10,000 maras, and 1000 mercs. you cannot compare 10,000 to 1000, yet that is what is likely going on here.
The King of Bads

SkinzOCAU
04.26.2013 , 12:40 PM | #2125
Quote: Originally Posted by Choffware View Post
Well I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the tool set... I think we have enough front end burst to play that role well now. Sticky dart, fm, tm, HSM unload... is pretty good to open with... Especially if PS and TO are up and barrage procs... the only stand and cast there would be unload. so pretty good to open.. even if there is no barrage or PS and TO up. But I agree it's very niche... and for some players counter intuitive.
When we see other classes drop their offensive cooldowns all at once, someone usually dies. I dont feel this happens with us. It also infers that we are doing this whilst not being targetted. This requiires someone on the team to 2v1 so that we can dps from afar, and thus is not ideal.

What I am trying to say is I like your idea, but once again it is not ideal and puts Mercs in a corner where they are inferior. We should not accept this. I am unsubbing as result.

TUXs
04.26.2013 , 01:08 PM | #2126
Quote: Originally Posted by SkinzOCAU View Post
Something I have been working on is a spreadsheet that compares all our CDs to those of other classes. So far it greatly highlights how poorly we are equipped.
Oh, that would be great!!! I REALLY appreciate you working on that and I look forward to seeing it all spelled out...although I'm also a bit troubled by what I fear the results will be...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

cashogy_reborn
04.26.2013 , 01:31 PM | #2127
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Oh, that would be great!!! I REALLY appreciate you working on that and I look forward to seeing it all spelled out...although I'm also a bit troubled by what I fear the results will be...
the results will show that Merc is designed for a game with much slower paced combat.

our average utility skill cooldown is 87.5s, median 105s (10 abilities)
sniper's is 84.375, median 60s (8 abilities)

the averages are close, but the sniper median is ~40% lower than merc's.
The King of Bads

Lowyjowylof
04.26.2013 , 09:52 PM | #2128
Quote: Originally Posted by Marisblood View Post
This thread must be closed. Merc/PT/mandos/VG have strongest defensive CD in all game, 30% HP in few seconds is huge buff, they just have to learn to play it and stop spaming 1 button.
You sir are an idiot, and must be a bad. You cry for buffs to Shadow/Assassin, which happens to be one of the most "balanced" classes in game. To emphasize "we need a dot to counter Ops and Scoundrels" I definitely find it laughable you got your a** kicked by a scoundrel/Op. Why else would you want a buff against one of the weakest classes in game (when not healing).

Also, you obviously have no idea how the new adrenaline rush works...it's doo doo now.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

cashogy_reborn
04.27.2013 , 01:14 AM | #2129
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowyjowylof View Post
Also, you obviously have no idea how the new adrenaline rush works...it's doo doo now.
this makes me a sad panda.

not that it was a good skill before, but its now just so bad. it does absolutely nothing to keep you alive in PvP, and is 100% useless against classes w/ execute abilities.

the 3min cooldown certainly doesnt help its case either.
The King of Bads

fujeo-finel
04.27.2013 , 01:53 AM | #2130
Allow the option to pick which animation Tracer Missile uses by choosing the right chest piece.
Allow the option to buy the old animation with cartel coins.