Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy
11.04.2012 , 05:01 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
I tend to agree (except the worst possible players part) that TM/Grav being instant is a bad idea. It would be better to work in some sort of uninterruptable proc in there, or add it to a CD (still rooting for reserve powercell.) As well as some kind of escape or better survivability.

Then a good player could:

Open with an unitteruptable, heatless Grav round (reserve powercell)
Use an insta-cast grav round with Tech override CD.
Begin damage rotation with 4 stacks of debuff on the target.
and you could do that 1 time every 2 minutes as an arsenal spec, because that is the cooldown on Tech Override.

having an instant tracer missile would change nothing as far as damage output. i have suggested trading some of tracer missile's damage for heatseeker damage to weaken the run'n'gun tracer spammers, but you will still see them because bads will be bads. but if you run in a straight line and fire 3 tracers, it would do the exact same damage as firing 3 tracers while not moving

if this game should have taught people anything, its that you DO NOT balance the game to the lowest common denominator.

im not sure how people do not understand the basic mechanics of this game...... the damage would be the same if you are moving or immobile. the major difference is that every other class can maintain dps output on the move (or in the case of a sniper, protected while immobile). im getting tired of people claiming that Mercs would become OP if they are allowed to move and do damage. Are they OP now when they are allowed to free-cast? No, they are in line with every other DPS class. So what on earth would make Mercs OP by allowing them to actually maintain DPS when they are pressured by the hordes of melee players?

/endrant. just getting really tired of people who lack the ability to think critically

PowerReaper
11.04.2012 , 05:25 PM | #172
- For one this class needs like a I'd like to call it Evade (30 second cool down-30m range) where you can choose a area to quickly use your jet pack to maneuver to.
- Change Barrage to "Tracer Missile and Power Shot have a 50%/100% chance to grant Blaster Override, which causes you're next Unload to have its cool down finished, become uninterpretable and immune to push back, stacks to 3. Each stack additionally increases its damage by 12%. At 3 stacks Unloads damage deals an additional High X Amount of Elemental damage (or a root).

- A skill that causes Power Shot to be an instant cast.
- Maybe causes Rail Shot or Tracer missile to finish Unloads active cool down?
- The Self Heal...maybe change it to Kolto Unload which causes Power Shot, Tracer Missile, etc to heal you for x amount for x time.

(I have to agree, this class is ridiculously underpowered to a point where they are considered a free kill).

And lastly, the Jetpack on your back....lol and this class has next to 0 mobility.

Bioware buff this class PL0X
Prophecy Of The Five
Warlord »schaton - 55 Sith Juggernaut
Elite Warlord Christine - 55 Jedi Sentinel

Dovahbrah
11.04.2012 , 11:46 PM | #173
Bizzump.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Phasersablaze
11.04.2012 , 11:57 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
and you could do that 1 time every 2 minutes as an arsenal spec, because that is the cooldown on Tech Override.

having an instant tracer missile would change nothing as far as damage output. i have suggested trading some of tracer missile's damage for heatseeker damage to weaken the run'n'gun tracer spammers, but you will still see them because bads will be bads. but if you run in a straight line and fire 3 tracers, it would do the exact same damage as firing 3 tracers while not moving

if this game should have taught people anything, its that you DO NOT balance the game to the lowest common denominator.

im not sure how people do not understand the basic mechanics of this game...... the damage would be the same if you are moving or immobile. the major difference is that every other class can maintain dps output on the move (or in the case of a sniper, protected while immobile). im getting tired of people claiming that Mercs would become OP if they are allowed to move and do damage. Are they OP now when they are allowed to free-cast? No, they are in line with every other DPS class. So what on earth would make Mercs OP by allowing them to actually maintain DPS when they are pressured by the hordes of melee players?

/endrant. just getting really tired of people who lack the ability to think critically
In 1.2 they weakened TM by 10% and increased HSM by 10%. HUGE DPS LOSS. This is a very bad idea. Very very very very very bad.

Power-techs get an increased chance to crit buff for 15 seconds. This is something we should have as well. Or else an increase in power for 15 seconds.

Giving us some lame cool-down that lowers our overall dps is stupid and also useless for PVE.

I also agree with you that we need utility...but we need A LOT of it. We need something huge. Something that would be considered a valuable asset to PVP game-play. Little tiny tweaks, and one escape mechanism is not going to bring us back in line, plus it dooms our class forever cause devs will consider merc fixed after the changes even though an escape mechanism doesn't help with objectives at all.

Dovahbrah
11.05.2012 , 08:00 AM | #175
Derp.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Asukaa
11.05.2012 , 08:18 AM | #176
I keep reading about "give us instant this/that." Truth is, they will not ever give us anymore instant attack abilities. We are a "Ranged" class. Which means we must cast our dmg abilities. Do you guys not remember how VG Assault/PT Pyro played? They could do half of their dmg rotation from 30m out. Give that to merc and they will be the next fotm. I'm not talking about arsenal here... I do not know anything about that AC. But if they buff Merc/Commando Pyro/Assault, that's how I feel it will result. I'm not against buffs but it will just keep feeding the vicious cycle. Just undo the 1.4 changes and give us a real reliable snare and let our knockback root like sages/sorcs. Done.
25 minute Assault Commando pvp video: http://youtu.be/7wM0QXWBwoE
Duck'bumps (Assault Commando) vs Silch (Focus Guardian) all 5 Rounds (Silch POV): http://youtu.be/R_S_DQKOvd8

CommanderKeeva
11.05.2012 , 08:55 AM | #177
Great, now we at least know that the developers took the time and effort to read this (these ?) thread(s). However, I too, would like to point out that simply giving this class an escape ability in itself will not provide enough incentive for ranked teams to pick a commando/merc dps over a sniper/gunslinger. How do I know that? I asked my fellow team members: "Hey guys, if my Commando could suddenly use Force Speed and run away from tough situations will you allow me to bring it to ranked pvp?" Guess what the answer was? "No."

Even if I had a Combat Sprint like ability, the first Sentinel/Mara who force kicks my Grav Round/Tracer will screw the rotation. No proc for Demo Round or HIB. Firing Full Auto then, but sadly it falls victim to another interrupt. No matter, I will interrupt his Master Strike instead with my brand new Disrupting Shot! Oh wait...I can't....Fuuuuuuuuuu

As I've stated this in many threads before, you need to give some kind of insurance that no matter what the class can use the skill its entire rotation is based upon.

Snipers can spec into Snap Shot which makes their core skill, Snipe, activate instantly (all you need to do is stand up and crouch every 6 second and bamm....instant Snipe every time.) Followthrough is instant and not interruptible (in fact it's so instant that I can hit enemies with Followthrough that I have already killed with Snipe or Ambush!) Oh yeah and Ambush, you can spec into that as well and take a whole second off it's cd. Hell why not, give them an offensive cooldown that makes their Snipe insta crit. And one that increases their accuracy just for good measure.
And one that removes the cd on SoS. And since they're stationary....make them immune to Force Leap and put a root on their KB. Hell, why not just make every skill immune to interrupts while used in cover?

Why can't you give an ability (e.g. Entrench) that makes Commandos immune to being jumped while active? Then you could make channeled and activated skills immune to interrupts while "Entrenched". And give an offensive cd that makes the first grav round/tracer autocrit? And allow us to spec into activation time reduction on Grav/Tracer. Give them another offensive cd to boost accuracy (like Target Acquired) to boost the white dmg of Full Auto/Unload.
Put a root effect on Concussion Charge (Snipers have AoE KB AND root need I remind you) and put the 30-meter range back on Cryo grenade. (I still don't get it why you let Snipers and Gunslingers keep the 30-meter range on their stun but nerfed the stun for Commandos/Mercs.)

Then we can talk about a versatile and useful class that is on par with other DPS classes and can be an asset in a ranked team.

Yours truly.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Kusanami
11.05.2012 , 10:03 AM | #178
I think instead of Powershot and Unload having a chance to proc the Prototype Rail shot, change it from needing powershot to Missile Blast. Missile Blast is high heat but can be spammable and is more or less instant which will make procing the combustible gas cylinder and the rail shot far better then a channeled cast for Powershot.

xxIncubixx
11.05.2012 , 10:26 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by Asukaa View Post
I keep reading about "give us instant this/that." Truth is, they will not ever give us anymore instant attack abilities. We are a "Ranged" class. Which means we must cast our dmg abilities. Do you guys not remember how VG Assault/PT Pyro played? They could do half of their dmg rotation from 30m out. Give that to merc and they will be the next fotm. I'm not talking about arsenal here... I do not know anything about that AC. But if they buff Merc/Commando Pyro/Assault, that's how I feel it will result. I'm not against buffs but it will just keep feeding the vicious cycle. Just undo the 1.4 changes and give us a real reliable snare and let our knockback root like sages/sorcs. Done.
not instant, grav round/tracer missile should have a way to be uninterruitble like snipers do, since both are supposed to be stationary

Phasersablaze
11.05.2012 , 12:28 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Great, now we at least know that the developers took the time and effort to read this (these ?) thread(s). However, I too, would like to point out that simply giving this class an escape ability in itself will not provide enough incentive for ranked teams to pick a commando/merc dps over a sniper/gunslinger. How do I know that? I asked my fellow team members: "Hey guys, if my Commando could suddenly use Force Speed and run away from tough situations will you allow me to bring it to ranked pvp?" Guess what the answer was? "No."

Even if I had a Combat Sprint like ability, the first Sentinel/Mara who force kicks my Grav Round/Tracer will screw the rotation. No proc for Demo Round or HIB. Firing Full Auto then, but sadly it falls victim to another interrupt. No matter, I will interrupt his Master Strike instead with my brand new Disrupting Shot! Oh wait...I can't....Fuuuuuuuuuu

As I've stated this in many threads before, you need to give some kind of insurance that no matter what the class can use the skill its entire rotation is based upon.

Snipers can spec into Snap Shot which makes their core skill, Snipe, activate instantly (all you need to do is stand up and crouch every 6 second and bamm....instant Snipe every time.) Followthrough is instant and not interruptible (in fact it's so instant that I can hit enemies with Followthrough that I have already killed with Snipe or Ambush!) Oh yeah and Ambush, you can spec into that as well and take a whole second off it's cd. Hell why not, give them an offensive cooldown that makes their Snipe insta crit. And one that increases their accuracy just for good measure.
And one that removes the cd on SoS. And since they're stationary....make them immune to Force Leap and put a root on their KB. Hell, why not just make every skill immune to interrupts while used in cover?

Why can't you give an ability (e.g. Entrench) that makes Commandos immune to being jumped while active? Then you could make channeled and activated skills immune to interrupts while "Entrenched". And give an offensive cd that makes the first grav round/tracer autocrit? And allow us to spec into activation time reduction on Grav/Tracer. Give them another offensive cd to boost accuracy (like Target Acquired) to boost the white dmg of Full Auto/Unload.
Put a root effect on Concussion Charge (Snipers have AoE KB AND root need I remind you) and put the 30-meter range back on Cryo grenade. (I still don't get it why you let Snipers and Gunslingers keep the 30-meter range on their stun but nerfed the stun for Commandos/Mercs.)

Then we can talk about a versatile and useful class that is on par with other DPS classes and can be an asset in a ranked team.

Yours truly.
Very much agree with an entrench ability. We should have had that a LONG time ago.

Little tweak to you auto-crit on Tracer. Would rather have an autocrit plus 15% damage on the next HSM. Tha'ts supposed to be our finishing attack and make up for not having a finishing blow move...hey, another thing that snipers have and we don't. If we don't bring something unique to the table, then we should at least be as good as our other ranged dps class. So far they have much better knockback, much better stun capabilities, much better AE capabilities, much better defensive abilities, much better burst dos abilities.