Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ArchangelLBC
03.26.2013 , 09:48 AM | #1691
Actually the particular changes they are saying they'll make could probably have gone through in a normal patch no problem. I'm more confused why there was a delay at all.

WOULD have been nice to test it to get a look at some of those unintended consequences which is the result of any change. Who knows? Maybe it WILL make us ranked viable.

Not holding my breath on that one though >_>
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

cashogy_reborn
03.26.2013 , 10:38 AM | #1692
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Actually the particular changes they are saying they'll make could probably have gone through in a normal patch no problem. I'm more confused why there was a delay at all.

WOULD have been nice to test it to get a look at some of those unintended consequences which is the result of any change. Who knows? Maybe it WILL make us ranked viable.

Not holding my breath on that one though >_>
yeah, neither am i.

the change is a good step for sure. but how does it change the core mechanic away from "plant feet, pewpew"? we still need to cast tracer missile for barrage procs and to stack Rail Shot damage.

the only real difference now is that our front-loaded burst is not so much of a joke.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

ArchangelLBC
03.26.2013 , 11:14 AM | #1693
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
yeah, neither am i.

the change is a good step for sure. but how does it change the core mechanic away from "plant feet, pewpew"? we still need to cast tracer missile for barrage procs and to stack Rail Shot damage.

the only real difference now is that our front-loaded burst is not so much of a joke.
If Charged Bolts also gave Charged Barrel we'd at least be less vulnerable to interrupts since they can't stop both, but yeah you're right otherwise. Asking Gunnery to be anything BUT "plant feet, pewpew" is kind of asking a lot though. I'll take the "plant feet" if I can also "pewpew". In ranked it's more "plant feet, die".

And that also hasn't significantly changed with this imo. We'll see though! I kind of hold out tentative hope that they'll eventually realize TO and RP are on ridiculously long cooldowns for what they do, but that's about it.

-Wnd

cashogy_reborn
03.26.2013 , 11:21 AM | #1694
If Charged Bolts also gave Charged Barrel we'd at least be less vulnerable to interrupts since they can't stop both, but yeah you're right otherwise. Asking Gunnery to be anything BUT "plant feet, pewpew" is kind of asking a lot though. I'll take the "plant feet" if I can also "pewpew". In ranked it's more "plant feet, die".

And that also hasn't significantly changed with this imo. We'll see though! I kind of hold out tentative hope that they'll eventually realize TO and RP are on ridiculously long cooldowns for what they do, but that's about it.
yeah, thats a change that really should be made. when you start to think of what other classes have on short cooldowns, there is just no comparison.

take Entrench. Snipers already have interrupt and leap immunity, so lets give them full CC immunity! with only 40 (25 talented in MM) seconds of downtime!

but Merc's only interrupt-proof ability is on a 120s (90s if talented) cooldown. /facepalm
The King of Bads

SafeJungleFever
03.26.2013 , 11:31 AM | #1695
I keep wondering if Austin Peckinpaugh even knows what class balance is. In PVE Merc/Commando heals is far, far behind the other two. DPS-wise they're probably in worse shape than they appear to be as he himself pointed out in his interview here: http://www.madsithassassin.com/2013/...interview.html

In PvP, well...LOL, just LOL.

This has been the case since the 1.2 nerf and he has not changed this in any substantive way.

His JOB, that thing he supposedly spends 40 hours a week doing nominally is to balance 8 ACs, just 8. There are just THREE healing ACs he needs to look at. There are just a few things he needs to understand in PVP, TTK, ability to interrupt/root/snare/CC, burst, and defensive CDs. A very simple chart could be made for this in under 30 minutes to allow him to compare things. He clearly has not done this as he has done nothing to help us out of any substance in just a few weeks short of a year.

To fix the Merc/Commando both heals and DPS wise he'd only need to amke a couple changes:
1. HtL grants INTERRUPT IMMUNITY AS WELL
2. Advanced medical probe instant
3. Shorten the CD on bacta infusion and MAKE IT HIT LIKE A TOP LEVEL TALENT. Every time my full DG commando hits the tank for 2200 with this skill I die a little inside.
4. Drop Electronet to a 30s CD
5. Make reactive shield have a CD more on par with say....every other class. 1.5 minutes or less not this 3 minute nonsense you stupid *********** ****** who can't even do a simple comparison of defensive CDs between classes.

And I don't even get paid for this crap. He does, but hasn't even made a good faith attempt.

cashogy_reborn
03.26.2013 , 11:36 AM | #1696
well to be honest, this part of his post made a little wary:
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh
I definitely have a team that supports me, brainstorms with me, and tests with me, but I do all of the design, implementation, and balance for all of the classes by myself. It is a daunting task.
he has a team for brainstorming, but he does everything himself?
The King of Bads

Technohic
03.26.2013 , 11:49 AM | #1697
I'm curious about how much the changes will help. Gimped or not, Merc has proven to be possibly my second favorite class after Sniper/slinger. Would love to focus more on that if it turns out I get tired of seeing too many other snipers/slingers.
Quote: Originally Posted by proverbs 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him.

ArchangelLBC
03.26.2013 , 12:42 PM | #1698
well to be honest, this part of his post made a little wary:

he has a team for brainstorming, but he does everything himself?
Noticed that too did you? It gives me slightly more sympathy for him....but only slightly.

-Wnd

cashogy_reborn
03.26.2013 , 01:08 PM | #1699
Noticed that too did you? It gives me slightly more sympathy for him....but only slightly.
i wouldnt call my feelings about it sympathetic. it means that every decisions is the direct product of AP. he gets ideas from other folks, but the implementation, testing, balancing, etc is 100% him.

the direction he has personally taken this game has not been good. it doesnt look like its changing anytime soon either.
The King of Bads

ArchangelLBC
03.26.2013 , 01:15 PM | #1700
i wouldnt call my feelings about it sympathetic. it means that every decisions is the direct product of AP. he gets ideas from other folks, but the implementation, testing, balancing, etc is 100% him.

the direction he has personally taken this game has not been good. it doesnt look like its changing anytime soon either.
Well by sympathy I mean, holy crap that's just a lot to try and balance all by yourself.

Otherwise I agree with you, because whether he's overworked or just micromanages, the result has been not very good. Explains why classes go untouched for so long. At this point I'm hoping that he's basically been spending the past 5 months trying to get 2.0 balanced and will actually be able to make meaningful changes now with that off his plate instead of having to split time between balancing 2.0 and balancing live.

We've talked about how strong my hopes are though >.>

-Wnd