Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DariusCalera
02.20.2013 , 05:57 PM | #1321
General

The Trooper's Energy Cells have been reworked to be a 100-pt resource system. Players will see Energy Cells be consumed and regenerate in fractions, and all Energy cell costs will be charged against the new 100-pt total rather than the old 12-pt total.

Guess they finally realized that they messed up the ammo system. Slight buff.

Hold the Line is now trainable at level 26 for all Troopers. This ability has a duration of 6 seconds, which can be extended to 10 seconds using the skills in the Gunnery and Tactics Skill Trees.

Not too bad. Guess this has to do with the LOSing and Pillar Humping from page 4.

Adrenaline Rush has been redesigned. Adrenaline Rush now puts a Health Monitor on the player which will trigger when they drop below 30% health. Once triggered, Adrenaline Rush will heal the player rapidly up to but no higher than 30% of their maximum health. This effect lasts 8 seconds.

Not sure how exactly this will work out and how fast it'll regen health. Can't be any worse than what it was before though.

Commando

A new ability, Electro Net, has been added. Electro Net ensnares a single target, reducing its movement speed and dealing periodic Energy damage which increases over time if the target is moving. While Electro Net active, the target is also hindered and unable to activate high mobility actions and escapes, such as speed boosts, vanishes, and charges. The ability is trainable at level 51.

Still no info on range. But at least now we know that it's Commando only.

A new Passive ability, Mortar Salvo, has been added. Mortar Salvo allows up to 3 weaker Explosive Rounds to be fired in a row before consuming Energy Cells and going on cooldown for 6 seconds. This ability is trainable at level 10.

Not sure on this one, might be worth it, might not. Could end up going the way of Explosive Round though at high levels and not be useful at all.

Concussion Charge now costs 8 Energy cells (down from 16).

Cool

Kolto Bomb is now trainable at level 20 to all Commandos.

Outstanding. Definitely see this as a big plus in my book.

Armor-Piercing Cell now additionally increases Alacrity by 3% while active.

Hmm....sounds good, only issue might be ammo management.

In all of this, I didn't see anything about the 5% damage nerf to Demo Round. So, I'm curious as to whether or not that is still going to happen.

cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 06:00 PM | #1322
we can still get interrupted out the butt.

but im glad that my merc was already copied to the PTS before i got rid of all of its gear. so now i have a geared powertech and geared merc to fiddle around with lol
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

DariusCalera
02.20.2013 , 06:14 PM | #1323
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
we can still get interrupted out the butt.
Yeah, I know. That was really the only part that still made me sad.

Jherad
02.20.2013 , 06:19 PM | #1324
Heh, the changes look interesting (and hopeful), but the first thing I've noticed on the PTS is that it now takes 36 points to get your top ability (eg. demo round) in the tree. Rather than adding to the top, they shunted the abilities up.

This won't be a problem at 55, but screws up some of your build at 50 (I'm looking at a 2/36/3 build right now)
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

SpaniardInfinity
02.20.2013 , 06:49 PM | #1325
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post

Commando

A new ability, Electro Net, has been added. Electro Net ensnares a single target, reducing its movement speed and dealing periodic Energy damage which increases over time if the target is moving. While Electro Net active, the target is also hindered and unable to activate high mobility actions and escapes, such as speed boosts, vanishes, and charges. The ability is trainable at level 51.

Still no info on range. But at least now we know that it's Commando only..
1 min 30 second cooldown, 30m range (confirmed off of PTS). Cost 8 ammo.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Jherad
02.20.2013 , 06:57 PM | #1326
Dang, I was really hoping for 45 seconds or so. Still, better than a kick in the teeth. Now to see if it can be cleansed.
The Twinkletoes Legacy

cashogy_reborn
02.20.2013 , 07:27 PM | #1327
90s cooldown? that sounds too long, but i wont pass judgement til i get to use it

i have to add tho, i am so unbelievable happy to be proven wrong about how long we would have to wait for these changes to come
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Jherad
02.20.2013 , 09:49 PM | #1328
Well, can't seem to copy my main to the PTS (my alts copy just fine), so I've only been able to play with a really badly geared copy from way back (mix of WH and BM, doesn't have any augs). There's a nice terminal that will zip you up to lvl 55.

Played a fairly one sided voidstar, did about 490k, a vanguard did close to a million. I reeeeally hope thats my bad gear talking - I'm seeing some crazy hitpoints. My guy was boosted to 22k, and I'm seeing sentinels with 37k, and vanguards with 45k+

The damage from electro net was pretty much ignorable by everyone (quelle surprise), but the effect is quite nice. I still don\t know if it can be removed, I didn't get it cast on me. I wish it was available twice as often. I did kill someone kiting with it once, with a tick of about 450 or so (I think the ticks started in the late 200s).

TTK is waaaaay down. The damage flying around is INSANE. As is the CC.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/704154/Valo..._50_252583.jpg
The Twinkletoes Legacy

Lalainnia
02.20.2013 , 09:57 PM | #1329
R.I.P Donna ill miss u The PTS is hell... for me anyway
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

mandoforlife
02.20.2013 , 10:17 PM | #1330
I've played a total of 3 warzones with my merc on the PTS, and the changes definatley seem to be good in my opinion. Electo Net seems to be a great ability, and works REALLY well when coupled with Jet Boost. No smashers leaping right back to you. From what I can tell, players haven't quite figured out that the damage increases with movement, cause people are trottin' along eating the damage. The damage from the net is good, with the last tick hitting for 3k when the Target is moving, but note that damage and hp is real messed up on the PTS at the moment, I hit a guy with an 8k HSM (yum, I'll keep that thank you very much).

Kolto Overload: it isn't useless anymore! If you hit it before you're below 30%, it puts a charge on you that lasts a fair amount of time. Once you drop below 30%, the healing it provides is very rapid, and was healing for 275 a tick when I used it. Unless someone can hit you with an execute, I can see Kolto Overload and an instant heal giving you a considerable amount of hp.

Missile Salvo: took some thought. At first, I was just hitting my keybind for it once, expecting it to fire off 3 missiles, but it only fired one. I soon found out that you actually hit it 3 times, but the 2 after the first are off the GCD, so you can fire them in very rapid succession. Overall, I think this is a great addition. It gives us decent damage on the move, and a pretty good finisher.

Hydraulic Overrides: Very good addition. What can I say? How can you complain? It offers immunity to any movement impairing effects and increases movement speed by 30%. By default, it lasts 6 seconds, but Arsenal gives it an additional 4, to add up to a full 10 seconds. Great ability. And did I mention it has a 30 second CD?

Chaff Flare: It's alright, one guaranteed absorb on a 45 second CD. In the matches I played, it was only valuable for 1v1s. In the cluster **** that is warzones, outside of a 1v1, it is almost impossible to anticipate a big hitter coming. Plus, with alacrity speeding up the GCD, it'll be even harder to utilize. But I'm not complaining, I'll take anything.

I haven't been able to try out the alacrity changes yet, since we have 0 comms when you transfer to PTS (they give PvE free comms to try out gear but not PvP?). So I can't comment on alacrity yet, outside of the fact that its essential now; its on almost every gear set, even the Eliminators.
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion