Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

T-Assassin
02.14.2013 , 01:19 PM | #1241
Quote: Originally Posted by Reysin View Post
They aren't useless like everyone likes to think. You wont top damage charts, but mercs are a very versatile class, jack of all trades, master of none. You can still be a threat if you play smart.

A 50 Merc in War-hero versus any 50 in War Hero solo is guaranteed to lose, our stationary damage isn't a high enough output and our ability to absorb damage isn't as good as a tank. However, pair a merc with a ranged dps, merc plays a tanky-damage, abosrbing hits where possible (sniper/merc can be scary.) Paired with a healer, merc plays peeler-damage, standing close to the healer to use CC on whoever is attacking him/her, and damaging the biggest threat in hopes the attacker leaves the healer alone. Pair merc with a tank, merc takes on stationary nuking, hitting tanks target out of the immediate LoS (in the background.) In large groups, stand mid-field, hit a priority target (I.E healer, or high dps) Most merc damage is kinetic, too (save for unload and sweeping blasters... and power shot, if you use it.) So damage is always hitting, excellent for killing blows in Guardians or sents with their ward up.

Also, in desperate times, your vast array of AoE is great in WZ for people capping nodes, planting bombs, etc. Missile blast does splash to 5 targets, interrupting plants and caps. Fusion missile, combined with power surge, is an instant cast AoE. Death from above, and sweeping blasters. Blow a medpac, adrenal, and shield, proceed to survive and keep people off nodes for as long as possible. (Time varies, based on how many.)

That's how I play my merc, at least, and I'm arsenal spec.
i hear ya...REALLY, i do. been a Merc since the dawn of time

and, Merc can be successful, sure!!

go play Powertech. your Merc will make you cry!!

Merc can be successful, sure!! it just takes extraordinary skill to keep up and/or be competative.

and, not trying to be insulting, just CLEAR, for the lurkers and nut-jobs.

extraordianry : going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary.

what my merc can do, my VG can do better...way better. (talking DPS) with less effort, less pillar humping, less interruption.

and, i think that is what most of us are trying to get acknowledged.

"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

T-Assassin
02.14.2013 , 01:27 PM | #1242
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
LOL looks like we had a few pages deleted. GG BW.
i got no problem with it, tbh.

most of it was half decent(at best) info wrapped in a self righteous tirade.

i'd prefer it stay on topic and be an actual PRODUCTIVE debate. that dude, and the responses he solicits, have no place here but to derail from the issues we are debating and fighting to get acknowledged.

there is fact and evidence here proving the gross imbalance in PvP, PvE, and RWZ PvP.

do not let the trolls derail this. while there is nothing wrong with debate, the way to go about it should remain respectful.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

TUXs
02.14.2013 , 02:01 PM | #1243
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
i got no problem with it, tbh.

while there is nothing wrong with debate, the way to go about it should remain respectful.
I completely agree
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

cashogy_reborn
02.14.2013 , 03:09 PM | #1244
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
LOL looks like we had a few pages deleted. GG BW.
not surprised, it stopped being a constructive discussion and just turned into mud-slinging.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

cycao
02.14.2013 , 03:11 PM | #1245
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
not surprised, it stopped being a constructive discussion and just turned into mud-slinging.
That's what the majority of nerf/buff threads turn into after a few hundred posts.

TUXs
02.14.2013 , 03:17 PM | #1246
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
That's what the majority of nerf/buff threads turn into after a few hundred posts.
Since we just started throwing mud after 1245 posts, does that mean there really is a problem with this class?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

cycao
02.14.2013 , 03:22 PM | #1247
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Since we just started throwing mud after 1245 posts, does that mean there really is a problem with this class?
I think its safe to say that mercs can perform fairly well in the hands of someone who can play them correctly. I think its also safe to say that they get destroyed when a decently played melee gets on them no matter how good the merc is. I think its also safe to say that their dps is not wanted for rateds and I have only seen one healing merc on a rated team (best imp team on my server).

Most importantly I think its safe to say that they will be getting some much needed attention when the expansion comes out.

yoomazir
02.14.2013 , 03:46 PM | #1248
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Most importantly I think its safe to say that they will be getting some much needed attention when the expansion comes out.
Unless you know something else other than the datamined stuff, I bet you're mistaken.

Still, hoping is the only thing we can do for this class now.

cashogy_reborn
02.14.2013 , 04:04 PM | #1249
we also need to remember that Makeb is most likely 3-4 months away. that is a lot of time for internal testing to change stuff. im hoping that we also see a lot more conversing between players and devs. the last couple days seems to be showing things improving in that respect, and i just hope it carries over when it is finally time to test everything on the PTS
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Luckeyduckey
02.14.2013 , 04:06 PM | #1250
Pyrotech Merc is fine. Arsenal isn't great, but as Pyro, you really only have to cast 2 abilties. One is channeled, and if it gets interupted, you still get the proc of railshot. Then you have Powershot. A 1.5 second cast when specced, and you only need to use it once in awhile. If it gets interupted, keep going. Rapid Shots is your friend.
Expløit
Ønslaught
Eradicate