Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DariusCalera's Avatar


DariusCalera
02.03.2013 , 11:32 PM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
the problem with the pillar-humping dev post is that pillar-humping is not a tactic solely used by Merc/Mando. its used by everyone
I still chuckle that we're over 100 pages and that post was on page 4.

Anyway, I think it demonstrates that they do not know exactly how a commando works.

Great, we pillar hump....and then what?

Can't stop to dps or heal because most of our abilities have casting bars and they catch up to us. If we weren't slowed to begin with.

Use Concussion Charge to create distance? Awesome, too bad every melee class, besides VG/PT, have a gap close on a shorter CD than our gap opener. As for the VGs/PTs, they do still have some 30m attacks that can hit pretty hard so, once again, nothing is really gained.

Cryo Grenade/SS root? Great for maybe getting of a damaging attack or two, but unless they're already extremely close to dead, and which point we should have just stood and fought them and not try to pillar hump, we still haven't really gained any sort of advantage.

I really don't think BW knows how to fix us without giving us 5 more levels. Which is really the wrong answer.

Lalainnia's Avatar


Lalainnia
02.03.2013 , 11:36 PM | #1012
I would like battle focus/explosive fuel on my mando
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.03.2013 , 11:40 PM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by Lalainnia View Post
I would like battle focus/explosive fuel on my mando
God, please yes. How the hell do you look at the two final cooldowns for these classes and think "yeah that seems about right".
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

klham's Avatar


klham
02.04.2013 , 12:34 AM | #1014
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
the problem with the pillar-humping dev post is that pillar-humping is not a tactic solely used by Merc/Mando. its used by everyone
But what if they gave us a new casted ability on a really short cooldown: an energy-generated pillar that we could place on the ground wherever we want to make a stand. Immune to stuns and snares as long as we keep running around it.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
02.04.2013 , 12:40 AM | #1015
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
But what if they gave us a new casted ability on a really short cooldown: an energy-generated pillar that we could place on the ground wherever we want to make a stand. Immune to stuns and snares as long as we keep running around it.
dont give them any ideas
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

dcgregorya's Avatar


dcgregorya
02.04.2013 , 03:01 AM | #1016
All you need to know about commandos is that a DPS commando in PVP brings not a single thing to the table that makes them desirable for rated PVP. They don't burst. They can't guard objectives. They have no utility.

Given that they aren't going to fundamentally change the class into a stealth class or increase their burst DPS, they need to give them a lot more utility. Even if you gave them an escape, that would not be enough to make them desirable for rated, because then they'd just be lesser sorcs (no friendly pull, no bubbles). I'd say give them something that prevents healing totally for 3-4 seconds, plus an escape. The escape would help them in 1vs1's, and the unique utility ability would make them desirable for rated.

Or something else, but I think you'll be sorely mistaken if you think an escape is all that's needed to get them into RWZ - because with an escape, they're still adding nothing that a sorc doesn't already do better.

yoomazir's Avatar


yoomazir
02.04.2013 , 06:19 AM | #1017
IMO, I think the best alternatives Bioware can give us is this:

- All channeled attacks are immune to interrupts, that means Powershot, Tracer Missile & Unload.

or

- Give us Flame Burst / Ion Pulse and allow us to have Rail Shot being reseted by it and Rocket Punch.

One idea I have is to give pyro mercs a permanent movement speed buff, I was thinking that since I'm constantly on the move and I use rapid shots most of the time after the usual IM/TD/RS, that would make us a more hit & run style, completely the opposite of turret mode of Arsenal & Snipers.

I recently lvl another BH past 10 and went on fleet to pick my advanced class and I kinda felt sad when listening to those 2 boyos trying to explain me how tinies dual wielding guns mercs are so top dps while fat heavy PTs are so tanky... how misleading Bioware, how misleading.

EDIT: Also after 1000 posts, look at the time that passed since the first post ( 10.29.2012 , 03:53 AM | #1 ) and today... GOOD JOB PVP DEV TEAM.

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
02.04.2013 , 10:30 AM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
IMO, I think the best alternatives Bioware can give us is this:

- All channeled attacks are immune to interrupts, that means Powershot, Tracer Missile & Unload.

or

- Give us Flame Burst / Ion Pulse and allow us to have Rail Shot being reseted by it and Rocket Punch.

One idea I have is to give pyro mercs a permanent movement speed buff, I was thinking that since I'm constantly on the move and I use rapid shots most of the time after the usual IM/TD/RS, that would make us a more hit & run style, completely the opposite of turret mode of Arsenal & Snipers.

I recently lvl another BH past 10 and went on fleet to pick my advanced class and I kinda felt sad when listening to those 2 boyos trying to explain me how tinies dual wielding guns mercs are so top dps while fat heavy PTs are so tanky... how misleading Bioware, how misleading.

EDIT: Also after 1000 posts, look at the time that passed since the first post ( 10.29.2012 , 03:53 AM | #1 ) and today... GOOD JOB PVP DEV TEAM.
That seems entirely reasonable and an effective way to get this class back into the WZ's. Sadly, since this first post was made up until now I see so few merc/commandos compared to the smash classes.

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
02.04.2013 , 08:00 PM | #1019
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
But what if they gave us a new casted ability on a really short cooldown: an energy-generated pillar that we could place on the ground wherever we want to make a stand. Immune to stuns and snares as long as we keep running around it.
Kinda like a stripper pole?

Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
All you need to know about commandos is that a DPS commando in PVP brings not a single thing to the table that makes them desirable for rated PVP. They don't burst. They can't guard objectives. They have no utility.

Given that they aren't going to fundamentally change the class into a stealth class or increase their burst DPS, they need to give them a lot more utility. Even if you gave them an escape, that would not be enough to make them desirable for rated, because then they'd just be lesser sorcs (no friendly pull, no bubbles). I'd say give them something that prevents healing totally for 3-4 seconds, plus an escape. The escape would help them in 1vs1's, and the unique utility ability would make them desirable for rated.

Or something else, but I think you'll be sorely mistaken if you think an escape is all that's needed to get them into RWZ - because with an escape, they're still adding nothing that a sorc doesn't already do better.
I completely agree. If they're are not going to dramatically improve our DPS output (particularly burst) then we need some kind of unique utility to be competitive in RWZa.

But I don't believe BW's PvP team (if it even IS a team any more) has the faintest idea what happens in RWZs. They are outliers to the general metrics the devs seem so fond of.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
02.05.2013 , 12:09 AM | #1020
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
All you need to know about commandos is that a DPS commando in PVP brings not a single thing to the table that makes them desirable for rated PVP. They don't burst. They can't guard objectives. They have no utility.

Given that they aren't going to fundamentally change the class into a stealth class or increase their burst DPS, they need to give them a lot more utility. Even if you gave them an escape, that would not be enough to make them desirable for rated, because then they'd just be lesser sorcs (no friendly pull, no bubbles). I'd say give them something that prevents healing totally for 3-4 seconds, plus an escape. The escape would help them in 1vs1's, and the unique utility ability would make them desirable for rated.

Or something else, but I think you'll be sorely mistaken if you think an escape is all that's needed to get them into RWZ - because with an escape, they're still adding nothing that a sorc doesn't already do better.
Yep! Been saying that for awhile. Address the utility issue or why bother?
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.