Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

First PvP match as sniper (level 11). I got utterly decimated by a scoundrel.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
First PvP match as sniper (level 11). I got utterly decimated by a scoundrel.

Finrok
10.28.2012 , 04:35 PM | #1
I go into the match and a level 45 scoundrel is stalking me the entire match within 20 seconds of spawning I am ambushed and killed inside 3 seconds...literally do not know what hit me.

This happened honest to god 10-12 times and I just logged. This guy shadowed and stalked me all match..what is the answer? is there an answer? Or am i a sitting duck?

What in gods name do I do? I got 3-4 secs to respond before i'm dead..and snipers are supposed to own in PvP??? For real???

MalignKarma
10.28.2012 , 05:40 PM | #2
The first part is this...you are level 11 and he is lvl 45. You barely have sniper abilities, he has nearly all of his skills and has had an extra 34 levels to play with them. Snipers dont gain key abilities till their T3 or T4 skill tree skills.

Its a matter of practice and having a button to click. You were likely targeted and marked from the get go, seeing as you are only level 11. You have two choices: 1. know you have a target on your back till about level 20 or even later, or; 2. Wait to PVP until you have a few more levels and abilities.
Matthis - 50 Operative | Mattak - 50 Juggernaut | Mattu - 50 Powertech | Mattsnip - 50 Sniper | Mattyre- 50 Mercenary

TalonVII
10.28.2012 , 08:22 PM | #3
I wouldn't start pvping till atleast lvl 30. Too low of level and you're no good to your team besides bullet sponge.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Woimy
10.29.2012 , 12:00 AM | #4
Once you get Cover Pulse and Leg shot, he won't ever get to kill you again, assuming you're as skilled as he is, so he's getting his shots in now.

Seriously though, see the above post.

Sitherall
10.31.2012 , 02:04 PM | #5
Yea - your level difference is the main issue there - although, if he was rage hunting you, he probably wasn't benefiting his team much tbh and probably was just looking for easy kills.

At his level, (assuming he is pure DPS scoundrel) - and this is off the top of my head - he gets 2 stuns, 1 root, 2 backblast attacks (one from stealth), 1 punch/pistol whip that triggers additional punches, not too mention the grenades and DOT he can push out. - all those above skills have a very quick cool down too, and if managed correctly, he can push them out in a continuous cycle.

The biggest difference is level gap, that is all; he is in the prime of his tool availability, you have not receieved any of yours yet.

My Operative is lvl 37 now - i'm still missing 1 major attack, but I can now go toe to toe with lvl 40+ operatives/scounderels as it really just comes down to skill in our encounters - timing of stabs/stuns, use of medpacks, availability and use of additional attacks etc- it is pretty fun actually. I used to think that there was something broken with Operatives vs Scoundrel because there were so many stab attacks - but now i'm realizing the scoundrel has all the same abilities, they are just split up as pistol whips, punches, back blasts - where the operatives are all some type of blade attack - so they all look the same pretty much.

As far as going against a sniper now - if the sniper is in the mid 40's, I don't have a chance (if he knows anything about his abilities). If they are low to mid 30's, I can take them out usually without a problem. The 40 + snipers though suck, I hate going against them.

Hippis
10.31.2012 , 08:57 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Woimy View Post
Once you get Cover Pulse and Leg shot, he won't ever get to kill you again, assuming you're as skilled as he is, so he's getting his shots in now.

Seriously though, see the above post.
Yea that help alot on a invisible target ?
First off all the scondrel gets a hi dps shot even before u know it from behind, the sniper has alredy lost the fight.

TalonVII
10.31.2012 , 09:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Hippis View Post
Yea that help alot on a invisible target ?
First off all the scondrel gets a hi dps shot even before u know it from behind, the sniper has alredy lost the fight.
So does the Operative. Hell i can hit defib at lvl 31 and i still have about 6 knife attacks to choose from, then i can totally fade away after they are all done.

but lvl 11, i can run around in stealth do about 1 knife attack and a gun attack or two then dead. Sorry wouldn't even THINK about pvping till lvl 25 or 30.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Jumpchan
10.31.2012 , 10:08 PM | #8
its all about situation awareness at that level you need to know where you are going to be effective and where you are just going to get rubbished

level does matter but not to the point of not being able to pvp
ive been lvl 11 before and still done 200k on a sniper

in prevp if they dont see you 9 times out of 10 you will be the last one to die
its all about attack the guy right infront
Jump
/avoid

Prabhunath
11.01.2012 , 01:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MalignKarma View Post
The first part is this...you are level 11 and he is lvl 45. You barely have sniper abilities, he has nearly all of his skills and has had an extra 34 levels to play with them. Snipers dont gain key abilities till their T3 or T4 skill tree skills.

Its a matter of practice and having a button to click. You were likely targeted and marked from the get go, seeing as you are only level 11. You have two choices: 1. know you have a target on your back till about level 20 or even later, or; 2. Wait to PVP until you have a few more levels and abilities.
What MalignKarma said. I would also like to add that stealthers (operatives and assassins) are a sniper's natural worst enemies, just as a sniper is the bane of any pure melee class.

Don't let this experience dampen your hopes, as you will eventually grow to become one of the deadliest classes on the battlefield.
+ Sorc running out of Force while fighting Marauders? Bioware says L2HYTF...wonderful +
A day may come, when our courage fails, when we forsake our class, and break all bonds from it; when we fall to our knees and cower in fear, and we look up to you and see death as inevitable. But today is not that day. Today, we fight!

Nothematic
11.01.2012 , 04:02 PM | #10
Not sure what happened to you - my first PvP game at level 11 yesterday I got top damage in the 100k somewhere, and I was facerolling people who got in my way.

Maybe I was playing **** people though. Anyways, ambush, snipe and explosive probe are your best friends at low levels. They do huge damage (average ambush is 2k + explosive probe of 1.5k).