Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why game *crashes-to-desktop* every 2-3 hours since 1.4 Update...???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Why game *crashes-to-desktop* every 2-3 hours since 1.4 Update...???

Nee-Elder
10.27.2012 , 05:37 PM | #1
I've been playing this flawed but wonderful 'game' since Early Beta-testing and i have never i repeat NEVER *crashed to desktop* but maybe a handful of times in a year..........Then Update 1.4 came, and ever since 1.4: the game literally crashes like clockwork after 2-3 hours of consecutive play.

1) Why is this happening? (is it the memory leak 'bug' again? )

2) What can i do to resolve this extremely frustrating issue? (besides what i do now which is /logout and restart the entire game every couple hours before the game crashes itself)

3) Why did this only start to occur after the 1.4 update? (yes i've already updated my Nvidia drivers)

Please help thanks. -- regards, Nee

p.s. Yes i've read the 'stickys' and done a Search for similar threads, but all i see are "memory leak" statements and "dxdiag" requests....i haven't seen anything yet that explains WHY this is happening so much post-1.4 update.
(i will keep searching of course)
Never tell me the odds!
TEAMZiRe

Testeklies
10.27.2012 , 06:11 PM | #2
The black screen to crash issue is usually a refresh rate or resolution problem.
You can check this by navigating to the client_settings folder (Press the Windows Key and R and enter:%localappdata%/swtor/swtor/settings) and ensuring the following are displayed within, or edit/add if so required:

Fullscreen = false
D3DFullScreen = false
RefreshRate = 60

Try that and see if that checks out on that file. Worked for me.

Nee-Elder
10.27.2012 , 07:38 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Testeklies View Post
The black screen to crash issue is usually a refresh rate or resolution problem.
You can check this by navigating to the client_settings folder (Press the Windows Key and R and enter:%localappdata%/swtor/swtor/settings) and ensuring the following are displayed within, or edit/add if so required:

Fullscreen = false
D3DFullScreen = false
RefreshRate = 60

Try that and see if that checks out on that file. Worked for me.
Thanks for the reply, but i have a Question just for my own edification: What does that do and Why would that work?

Also: i couldn't locate the exact file the exact 'method' you wrote to do (i'm running Windows XP-pro still btw) but i did find this File called client_defaults in the Retailclient folder:

WARNING: ** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE ** //
// Making any changes to this document will result in the corruption of //
// your install and will require the use of the repair utility. //
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------//
[Renderer]
Width=1152
Height=864
WindowX=-1
WindowY=-1
FullScreen=true
doShadows=true
[Repository]
BaseResourceFileName=..\..\Assets\swtor_
Never tell me the odds!
TEAMZiRe

Nee-Elder
10.28.2012 , 10:55 AM | #4
shamefully 'bumping' my own thread out of necessity

sorry but still looking for Answers....anywhere lol

btw: Yes my 'shaders' are set to LOW (or very low even ) and i have 'shadows' turned OFF (always)

---------

p.s. Am i really going to have to purchase an entire new Computer with *Windows 8* just to play this game post-1.4 at a more realistic/optimal level? (plz say no lol )

Never tell me the odds!
TEAMZiRe

Kyuuu
10.28.2012 , 11:31 AM | #5
That would be bad idea to buy computer of this game, cause its game engine that is the problem. it had issue / performance problems before 1.4 and 1.4 made them worse.

I never really crashed or had terrible performance before 1.4, but after 1.4 my performance tanked, I getting dc'ed alot along with huge spikes, 9000 error which i never had before. and In Event viewer I constantly getting error reports coming from Swtor reporting errors from Memoryman.dll and MSVCR90.dll. both at same time. Then there is all the bugs that where fixed before 1.4 that came flooding back, Namely error 9000 WZ accpeting kicking you to chracter select, Customizing UI causing performance issues, Stuttering depsite haveing 60+ the list goes on

Never hand any of these problems till AFTER 1.4 And it would be ill advised to buy new computer just to play this game. For what i seen so far the game poorly managed and Q/A team arnt doing the job right Highend CPU and GPU get crappy performance in this game mean while those people could throw crysis 2 and likes at it and have better FPS MAX and MIN then a game that dont look anywhere as nice.

And with the game going F2P I dont see these problems being fixed. I just a Cash grab happening before everyone leaves

Scorpassailant
10.28.2012 , 11:39 AM | #6
Yeah after 1.4 its like riding a rollercoaster, sometimes you're riding high, sometimes you're low and sometimes you're upside down not knowing what the heck is going on.

HiltoftheDragon
10.28.2012 , 11:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nee-Elder View Post
I've been playing this flawed but wonderful 'game' since Early Beta-testing and i have never i repeat NEVER *crashed to desktop* but maybe a handful of times in a year..........Then Update 1.4 came, and ever since 1.4: the game literally crashes like clockwork after 2-3 hours of consecutive play.

1) Why is this happening? (is it the memory leak 'bug' again? )

2) What can i do to resolve this extremely frustrating issue? (besides what i do now which is /logout and restart the entire game every couple hours before the game crashes itself)

3) Why did this only start to occur after the 1.4 update? (yes i've already updated my Nvidia drivers)

Please help thanks. -- regards, Nee

p.s. Yes i've read the 'stickys' and done a Search for similar threads, but all i see are "memory leak" statements and "dxdiag" requests....i haven't seen anything yet that explains WHY this is happening so much post-1.4 update.
(i will keep searching of course)
Some of your comp specs would be nice to see.

I had this exact same problem after 1.4 and it was simply one thing.......i was running out of ram. You can watch your task manager nee and see how much ram the game is using. Its pretty horrid.
The memory leaks in this game have always existed. Somehow they manifested in 1.4. After putting up with the 2 hour interval crashes, i decided to upgrade my ram capacity.

I also ran xp pro for a long time but the 4 gigs of ram (actually 3.25) just wasnt enough to keep the game running anymore. I made the jump to win7 64 bit and installed 8 gigs of ram.

My crashing problem is now over.

It was an upgrade that i had not planned on doing, but i like this game so its done. I can also not worry about ram issues anymore and hopefully im ready for any future mmo i see coming.
The Ventress Legacy
"Sanity is a prison....let madness release you"

Nee-Elder
10.28.2012 , 12:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HiltoftheDragon View Post
Some of your comp specs would be nice to see.

I had this exact same problem after 1.4 and it was simply one thing.......i was running out of ram. You can watch your task manager nee and see how much ram the game is using. Its pretty horrid.
The memory leaks in this game have always existed. Somehow they manifested in 1.4. After putting up with the 2 hour interval crashes, i decided to upgrade my ram capacity.

I also ran xp pro for a long time but the 4 gigs of ram (actually 3.25) just wasnt enough to keep the game running anymore. I made the jump to win7 64 bit and installed 8 gigs of ram.

My crashing problem is now over.

It was an upgrade that i had not planned on doing, but i like this game so its done. I can also not worry about ram issues anymore and hopefully im ready for any future mmo i see coming.
Excellent post and THANKS so much for the reply. Very logical and also sounds like this could be my problem (excluding all the inherent problems on BioWare's end of course) .

I will still await a possible investigation from any Cust Service Reps who eventually read this thread, but i'm also going to def. consider an 'upgrade' similar to what you mention HiltOftheDragon (since upgrades are inevitable anyways) .

So frustrating this is though, that such a fine Company like BioWare can soil it's reputation so much with this 'game engine' and it's many strange (and imo unnecessary) issues.

Anyways, thanks to everyone else who have replied so far as well.
Never tell me the odds!
TEAMZiRe

Nee-Elder
10.29.2012 , 12:57 PM | #9
I've been combing through pages of similar Posts about this 'issue' and i'm amazed that BioWare still has yet to specifically address this rather GAME-BREAKING problem.

It's obvious that the common-thread is "post 1.4 update" , but i just wish someone from BioWare would tell us the *why* and the *when* (it will be fixed) .

p.s. Is the only solution to the "memory leak" problem just simply buying/upgrading more RAM?
Never tell me the odds!
TEAMZiRe

Asavrede
10.29.2012 , 01:43 PM | #10
There is definitely a memory leak issue - although I can run the game for longer than you apparently, I still get progressively higher memory usage to the point where Win7 asks to close the program due to running low.

I never had this until this month, so might have been reintroduced in a recent patch.