Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

Marci_Bloodfin
12.20.2011 , 08:54 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
You have compared raid drop to 3 slot orange piece of armor ?

That's my question as well.. we don't know what's there in the operations.. whether the "Loot" is mod-pieces (which is my guess), and perhaps unique appearance custom items..

I would expect high quality mods, high end crafting recipes and materials, with some rare Custom outfit pieces.

magnuskn
12.21.2011 , 09:53 AM | #42
Actually, we know by the vendors on the space stations what epic loot from the Operations will look like. We do not know yet how a fully epic modded item will compare.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

NightHawke
12.21.2011 , 09:59 AM | #43
The only thing that orange cannot do so far is have augment slots. If they do get that, then they are comparable to epic "loot".

Also don't buy an orange item that is above your level from a vender. Even if you remove and/or replace every single mod with something your level or lower, it will still be unusable.

I tested this last night with a few pieces of PvP armor.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

kimmeh
12.21.2011 , 12:53 PM | #44
I'm away at the moment so can't really check but, purple raid gear and orange custom gear may still be comparable given the same number of slots.

Here is my reasoning:

Purple items have 3 slots - enhancement, mod and augment

Orange items have 3 slots - enhancement, mod and armour

Whilst purple items cannot change level they can be augmented. They Will also have built in stats.

Whilst orange items cannot be augmented they can have armour mods. The armour mods will also have additional stats on them.

The question then becomes; do the additional stats on an armour mod designed for orange gear compare to the base stats on purple items plus an augmentation.

As I said before, I'm away for a week or so and can't check, however if this is the case and armour mods of the same level as purple gear have stats comparable to the purple gears base stats plus augments, orange gear should remain on par.

I am hoping this is the case as it not only gives players greater range for customization but should lead to an interesting mix of outfits when people reach higher levels.

Kunari
12.21.2011 , 01:03 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Droidist View Post
... If this is the case, that's pretty cool on one level, but I might want a change of scenery once in awhile.
There are many sets of orange gear plus the green, blue, and purple drops. Many options to "change the scenery" when the mood strikes you.

Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 01:09 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by kimmeh View Post
I'm away at the moment so can't really check but, purple raid gear and orange custom gear may still be comparable given the same number of slots.

Here is my reasoning:

Purple items have 3 slots - enhancement, mod and augment

Orange items have 3 slots - enhancement, mod and armour

Whilst purple items cannot change level they can be augmented. They Will also have built in stats.

Whilst orange items cannot be augmented they can have armour mods. The armour mods will also have additional stats on them.

The question then becomes; do the additional stats on an armour mod designed for orange gear compare to the base stats on purple items plus an augmentation.

As I said before, I'm away for a week or so and can't check, however if this is the case and armour mods of the same level as purple gear have stats comparable to the purple gears base stats plus augments, orange gear should remain on par.

I am hoping this is the case as it not only gives players greater range for customization but should lead to an interesting mix of outfits when people reach higher levels.
This is how I see it the two will be on par if equal mods are available.

Where i think Orange gear shines is that once you have your look, you can maintain it, and as new tiers of raiding are added your orange gear can be modded past the current tier.

NeoSpud
12.21.2011 , 01:14 PM | #47
I've read a dev post explaining the modification system and you will be able to find purple mod drops that allow you to upgrade orange gear to be equivalent to purple gear drops.

The problem you may run in to is that there is something called crit crafted or mastercrafted orange gear which will have an extra augment slot. The stats on that will be better than something you get now that isn't mastercrafted simply because it gets an extra slot.

On a side note if you want to match... you can run flashpoints and get social points. Find a social vendor in a cantina and check out their sets. Check out the pvp sets.

Racheakt
12.21.2011 , 02:11 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoSpud View Post
I've read a dev post explaining the modification system and you will be able to find purple mod drops that allow you to upgrade orange gear to be equivalent to purple gear drops.

The problem you may run in to is that there is something called crit crafted or mastercrafted orange gear which will have an extra augment slot. The stats on that will be better than something you get now that isn't mastercrafted simply because it gets an extra slot.

On a side note if you want to match... you can run flashpoints and get social points. Find a social vendor in a cantina and check out their sets. Check out the pvp sets.
Can orange crafted be critted? If so those will be worth a ton.

Dragondog
12.21.2011 , 02:24 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Becvar View Post
Mod slots definitely make it hard to tell if something is an upgrade or not. I would assume that a level 40 orange with 3 slots and no stats would be better than an otherwise identical level 15 orange, but who knows? Have to get both, mod them, and see.
You can change the settings so that you can see what bonuses come from mods.
SWTOR Referral Link for new and returning players. Add 7 days of SUBSCRIPTION and other good stuff.

magnuskn
12.24.2011 , 01:50 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Racheakt View Post
Can orange crafted be critted? If so those will be worth a ton.
I've yet to see someone have confirmation on that. So, unless someone can bring evidence with screenshots, I fear I have to say no.

I myself crafted about 20-30 of one particular orange item and had not one crafting crit. But of course my Synthweaver is still pretty low level.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.