Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

Voar
12.20.2011 , 02:34 PM | #31
The big question is.......

Is there Orange armor that has 4 slots? I have not seen any, but maybe an orange item can be caft-critted to create the "4th slot"?

TheRabbit
12.20.2011 , 02:55 PM | #32
There's a couple threads about crit-crafting oranges, and the general consensus is that it can't be done. Several people have said they've crafted dozens of orange items and not a single one has been a critical success.

Legionair
12.20.2011 , 03:02 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRabbit View Post
There's a couple threads about crit-crafting oranges, and the general consensus is that it can't be done. Several people have said they've crafted dozens of orange items and not a single one has been a critical success.
it is still early so I will hold out to see. I don't think they would gimp org items like that based on posted that bio-ware agents have put up about the org items they want them to be just as viable as high end raid items. In that some raid bosses will drop mods and stuff to put into your equipment.

Now that I write it down it may be true since they don't want org to be any better then raid items and they cant be crit either since they are dropped not made.

So great I am in the same place I started in and have no idea until I see it.

Ashanor
12.20.2011 , 03:03 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
The mod is what makes the armor sadly =/
Sadly? That is a huge plus in my opinion. Have you seen some of the ugly armor you would be forced to wear if you couldn't strip the mods and put it in the stuff you like?

DarthOvertone
12.20.2011 , 03:04 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaFaceroll View Post
For a piece of wearable orange armor the armor rating is driven by the Armoring modification. That mod has an armor value attached, along with some bonus stats, that drive the armor value of the piece in which you use the mod. The armor value is what's really important though as that is what the orange piece uses to determine the final armor rating. Light/Medium/Heavy armor types will modify the armor rating on your Armoring so that heavy orange armor becomes "heavy" while light armor is still light even with the same Armoring mod.

Barrels and hilts do the same thing for guns and light sabers as an Armoring mod does for armor. They control the DPS of the weapon in which they are inserted. Every time you upgrade to a higher level barrel or hilt you get more DPS. Barrels and hilts have other stats besides the damage rating, but that damage rating is what is important.

Orange gear also has other slots (1-2, depending on piece) that let you add other stat enhancers. Armor, for example, has Enhancement and Modification slots. These don't control the armor rating of the piece, but they do let you add other stats. You don't have to upgrade these slots to keep the armor value of the piece "up to date" but you will get more stats if you do keep them upgraded. Nice, but not as necessary as the Armoring mod. Weapons perform similarly...other slots add extra stats, but the barrel/hilt is what keeps the piece 'up to date'.

Once you find a look that you like you can keep that orange piece of gear up to date indefinitely. My Agent currently has fully moddable gear in every slot except wrists and boots, and he's only L28.
Thanks for this. Wow. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. My Shadow has already acquired 3 Orange items. So this means he can use those forever if I choose as long as he swaps out the mods as needed.

So glad I stumbled upon this thread. lol
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

magnuskn
12.20.2011 , 04:23 PM | #36
Yeah, the critical question at endgame will be if you can critically craft orange gear, so that it gets an augment slot. If that isn't the case, the whole moddable gear system breaks down and we'll get the clone army other games have.

Pardon, I mean "had", because even the developers at WoW finally recognized how much a lot of people hate being forced into all wearing the same endgame sets and so they invented the transmogrification system.

I recommend posting concerns about appearance customization in this thread. Before launch, we had accumulated 25.000 posts on the topic there, over the course of 1 1/2 years. I just restarted it on the forums a few days ago, but it gets buried under the avalanche of complaint posts we have right now.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Marci_Bloodfin
12.20.2011 , 06:36 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, the critical question at endgame will be if you can critically craft orange gear, so that it gets an augment slot. If that isn't the case, the whole moddable gear system breaks down and we'll get the clone army other games have.

Pardon, I mean "had", because even the developers at WoW finally recognized how much a lot of people hate being forced into all wearing the same endgame sets and so they invented the transmogrification system.

I recommend posting concerns about appearance customization in this thread. Before launch, we had accumulated 25.000 posts on the topic there, over the course of 1 1/2 years. I just restarted it on the forums a few days ago, but it gets buried under the avalanche of complaint posts we have right now.
See. I see it differently.. the moddable armor lets you do your min/max for endgame, but choose the aesthetic you want, essentially you can look completely different from a player of the same class, but have comparable stats..

I'm pretty sure that mods will be where the "gear progression" comes in.

Repefe
12.20.2011 , 06:55 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Marci_Bloodfin View Post
See. I see it differently.. the moddable armor lets you do your min/max for endgame, but choose the aesthetic you want, essentially you can look completely different from a player of the same class, but have comparable stats..

The question is without augment slot, will orange gear be on par with raid drops ?
Killer: 53%, Socializer: 53%, Achiever: 47%, Explorer: 47%

magnuskn
12.20.2011 , 06:56 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Marci_Bloodfin View Post

Oh, I know that this is how it should be. The problem is augment slots. If orange gear can't have them, it cannot compete at endgame.
Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Repefe
12.20.2011 , 07:00 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Oh, I know that this is how it should be. The problem is augment slots. If orange gear can't have them, it cannot compete at endgame.
You have compared raid drop to 3 slot orange piece of armor ?
Killer: 53%, Socializer: 53%, Achiever: 47%, Explorer: 47%