Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's the staus on Same-Sex Romances?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What's the staus on Same-Sex Romances?

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 10:07 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by harpuax View Post
They said "we were not willing to go in and just change all the dialogue to work for the other gender. That is not writing. That is not good storytelling." Where in the current writing and good story telling is any reference to any companion or NPC being heterosexual? What in any of their stories references them as any sexuality? It's not like you get the option to "flirt" them and the reply with "sorry, that's not my thing" (ok I think this happens once in the whole game), you never even get the option to try. I just don't understand what writing they are talking about.
They never really set it in stone, probably because the romantic interest of the companion will to some regard be in response to the player choosing to [Flirt]. Maybe some will then decline (although I know of no opposite-gender companions who respond that way to [Flirt] prompts with no option to possibly continue).

But what I think that what they were trying to say is that they wanted to create unique, specific dialog for those instances. Erickson spoke of writer lead-time. You don't need that much time to tie pronoun changes to a gender-check, although it can be a tedious process. Creating new content adds replay value to existing classes and companions, something they really want to build on and encourage with Legacy etc.

So maybe you already have gotten to know Kira Carsen romantically with your male Jedi Knight. If you choose to level another, say a Sentinel rather than a Guardian, you'd have a new look at that companion if you chose to make a character of the other gender and follow a romantic course with Kira again.

(I refer to Kira just as an example we don't yet know which companions will be available as same-sex romantic possibilities, or even that they'll be available to all classes, although I do notice that in the recent Companions 101 profile, discussion of romance with Kira was gender-neutral).

Anyhow, that's what I think they mean, and why I think they see that as the more appropriate course in creating new story possibilities.

harpuax
10.26.2012 , 10:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
Exactly, I felt the same way when they said that. I see no way that "retrofitting" stuff = "bad writing."
Maybe they're thinking of things like Mako's previous hetero relationship, which is made clear before the Bounty Hunter even gets her as a companion. However, that doesn't mean she can't be bi.
Very true, but like I said I haven't heard every single companions dialogue. Even if 1 or 2 of the companions do happen to have some dialogue that makes them very hetero, there are allot of them that don't. Besides not EVERYBODY needs to be be bi or homosexual, just a few options would be nice.

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 10:41 PM | #23
Truth be told, I haven't heard any companion's romantic dialogue. Just as I am sure many players won't have any interest in exploring the same-gender content, the existing scenarios aren't of any particular interest to me. On the other hand, I can see that in time, having explored same-sex options, I may be curious to see just what is different. In that regrad, writing separate stories does tend to encourage and support replay.

As far as "a few options", how would you determine which? Should the Jedi classes be omitted because it is less in keeping with their overall philosophy? Why, if Nadia and Kira are already romantically available? What about Smugglers? They are a free-wheeling bunch, but the male smuggler is presented in existing story as something of a ladies' man (based on the high volume of opposite-gender [Flirt] options one sees). Should players rolling a character of that class not have the option of taking their character in another direction? What is a sensible limit there?

We know that these are questions that the design team must have faced already and considered. If in fact the content really is still coming this year, then those decisions must have been made. It's not unreasonable to want to know what decisions were made, and how they were arrived at. Devs discuss this sort of thing in regards to other content all the time both present and pending. It's looking more than a little shabby that this topic is the exception.

Suzina
10.26.2012 , 10:47 PM | #24
I am also looking forward to SGRA
Member of Bane Fleet

xorcist
10.26.2012 , 10:59 PM | #25
The short answer to the title is that barely anyone cares. Therefore, Many many many many other things are more important before this. See A Thousand Papercuts thread in suggestions tab. Those are far more important, needed, and wanted.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

natashina
10.26.2012 , 11:08 PM | #26
And it's coming anyways, as promised. So we're going to continue to ask.

This content will not divide from other resources. There are different teams for different aspects of the game at any given point in time. That's why Gabe's statement was pretty vague; he works in the same office as them but doesn't work in the exact same department.

The money has already been spent, BW has already spent time back last winter dealing with the angry letters and general confusion. Unfortunately, it's been several months since there has been any information or addresses to the player base at large. As anyone that is a paying subscriber, we do have the right to ask for information on a feature promised to us back in September of 2011.

We wouldn't go into a thread that you post in for a feature and tell you that it doesn't matter if it got into the game because other things "are far more important, needed, and wanted." That's all subjective and not for any one player to decide, particularly when it comes to what players want.

In some ways, this is no different than talking about white color crystals or requesting Cartel Coin explanations.

SGRAs is a feature that we're asking for any information on. We are not asking fluff features, anymore than other players in the 1000 Papercuts thread. Some of those requests are frankly just fluff and are not central to the way a character story is played out.

Learning if central companions such as Kira or Mako (two examples of characters very tied into the story) are available fundamentally changes the way some people are going to level. Weather effects and such, while nice, do not effect a player's ability to level like SGRs can.

Same Gender Romance content has been promised and as well as reconfirmed even recently. It has not been scrapped and while the silence isn't golden, SGR isn't going away. So please, do some homework before you judge. Enjoy the game and please just ignore the thread if you think we're that silly. Also, I genuinely hope you get the F2P info you want and I hope you are happy with what they've said about it.

For some, this is as important. This may end up determining for whether or not a player keeps going after FTP. We won't come into your thread and tell you your ideas are unworthy, so have the same courtesy.

Grayseven
10.26.2012 , 11:18 PM | #27
The Alderaan Bonus Series bug involving the NPC Jeren is STILL causing havoc and it has yet to be addressed, there are still a ton of class mechanic issues that have yet to be addressed, their are still performance and graphics issues that have yet to be addressed...

...but 1.5 is on Test.

The appearance is that more time and effort is being spent on F2P and more general new content than on bug squashing and bringing "promised" content to life.

To be honest, I don't expect these issues to be fixed. I imagine that the best metaphor for this game's direction is a boulder rolling down a mountain...even at the bottom, that boulder will keep rolling from momentum but it's eventually going to come to a stop.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

natashina
10.26.2012 , 11:23 PM | #28
If you have no faith in the developers or their word at all, then why are you still playing? It must be because you actually enjoy the game, and look forward to seeing new content. I hope you aren't one of those people that stick around forums just to troll players while your sub runs out. If you are not, then I apologize.

Sorry you'd had a rough experience with those bugs. I've had troubles as well with a few, but this isn't the thread for it.

Grayseven
10.26.2012 , 11:29 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
If you have no faith in the developers or their word at all, then why are you still playing? It must be because you actually enjoy the game, and look forward to seeing new content. I hope you aren't one of those people that stick around forums just to troll players while your sub runs out. If you are not, then I apologize.

Sorry you'd had a rough experience with those bugs. I've had troubles as well with a few, but this isn't the thread for it.
I do enjoy playing the game. Unfortunately, I also see that the current "work of the developers" is not making the game better but is instead driving away players bit by bit.

The core to my statement is that you can not expect the Dev team to add this feature when they can't even be bothered to fix bugs that have existed for almost a year. This feature was discussed not long after launch and there are Dev statements to the effect of "we're going to do it". Of course, they were also going to fix the bugs and class mechanics as well...

In short, I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting for this considering the staff reductions, the focus on F2P and the inability to remove even minor bugs.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 11:33 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
The Alderaan Bonus Series bug involving the NPC Jeren is STILL causing havoc and it has yet to be addressed, there are still a ton of class mechanic issues that have yet to be addressed, their are still performance and graphics issues that have yet to be addressed...

...but 1.5 is on Test.

The appearance is that more time and effort is being spent on F2P and more general new content than on bug squashing and bringing "promised" content to life.

To be honest, I don't expect these issues to be fixed. I imagine that the best metaphor for this game's direction is a boulder rolling down a mountain...even at the bottom, that boulder will keep rolling from momentum but it's eventually going to come to a stop.
I think the key word there is "appearance". I also think you unfairly overlook some pretty big problems that have been addressed and fixed, as well as underrating their efforts to continue to address bugs and glitches.

In any case, writers don't do that. Animators don't do that. Voice actors don't do that. You are talking about an entirely separate end of the studio than handles creating new story content. The mechanisms for cutscenes and conversations aren't where the bugs are at least not many, and many graphical glitches (like "tiny Satele" on Tython) have been fixed.

So again, I don't see how this applies to a discussion of story content, where the mechanics are pretty well established and new conversations are probably the content least likely to unpredictably introduce new bugs to the game.