Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stuttering still persists

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Naturalscience
10.26.2012 , 12:09 PM | #1
My stuttering issues began with most everyone else after 1.4 went live. In my case, nameplate scaling has had no effect. I have a pretty decent rig that was performing well prior to 1.4, very smooth with all settings maxed...now the only way I can get decent playtime without the headaches is by setting the Shader to Very Low. This also disables Shadows, Bloom, and Conversation Depth of Field.

I love this game, and in fact bought this laptop for the specific purpose of playing with settings maxed in SWTOR. I have not seen any updates in the past 2 weeks from staff here at SWTOR.com so I wanted to remind you that this problem persists. It is ruining the game for me

I have tried various drivers for my Geforce 660m, none have had an impact of the game positively or negatively.

My dxdiag is spoiler tagged below...

Spoiler

Naturalscience
10.26.2012 , 03:11 PM | #2
I have to bump my own post?

netslayer
10.26.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3
I am starting to wonder if it is a problem with some of our windows installations, I upgraded to windows 8 today ( I know I cant stand the layout) but my swtor performance is flawless now as it should have been all along, my stuttering and microstutter I have had since launch is gone completely the game is silky smooth and looks amazing everything is now maxed even with shadows on at 2560x1440 resolution and im getting a solid 60fps. load times are even much better.
I7 3960x (4.6 ghz) Asus Rampage IV ExtremeCorsair Vengeance 16gb quad channel 1333Ocz Vertex 3AMD Gigabyte 7970Corsair AX1200w PSU

morfius
10.27.2012 , 02:20 AM | #4
I have similar laptop g75 but with 670 video.
Drop your shader complexity to low or very low - it works with me.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Shivax
10.27.2012 , 04:42 AM | #5
For me, lowering setting doesn't change anything. One day I log in, I have shuttering every few seconds, completely unplayable. Next day I log in again, and I have, like every 5min or so.
I also notice, sometimes, changing account can't reduce your shuttering. xD If I log in, and there is shuttering, I exit the game, log in with another account and shuttering is almost gone (and it doesn't matter which one account, it works vice versa). o.O

I also encountered the problem with shattering on pts. Not promising.

morfius
10.27.2012 , 07:39 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shivax View Post
For me, lowering setting doesn't change anything. One day I log in, I have shuttering every few seconds, completely unplayable. Next day I log in again, and I have, like every 5min or so.
I also notice, sometimes, changing account can't reduce your shuttering. xD If I log in, and there is shuttering, I exit the game, log in with another account and shuttering is almost gone (and it doesn't matter which one account, it works vice versa). o.O

I also encountered the problem with shattering on pts. Not promising.
Your issue is like HDD based one... check your HDD usage.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Naturalscience
10.27.2012 , 09:08 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by morfius View Post
I have similar laptop g75 but with 670 video.
Drop your shader complexity to low or very low - it works with me.
I have been playing with shader complexity at very low since 1.4 went live. Obviously this is not the way I want to play this game considering the computer I am running it on. Pre 1.4, everything was fluid at the max settings. Post 1.4, I get significant micro stuttering if I have shader complexity high or shadows enabled.

This is a beautiful game and my computer should have no problem at all playing it, but here I am.

I just want to know that Bioware is still working on the issue.

Shivax
10.27.2012 , 01:08 PM | #8
I doubt that's the case, new hdd, I did defragmentation recently, and all windows' option available. If you have some sugestion, I'm all ears.

I think, since patch 1.4, nvidia become 'less' compatible with this software.

Kyuuu
10.27.2012 , 01:59 PM | #9
I have SSD that is worlds faster then HDD and the game became stuttering mess after 1.4 een with 60+fps, and frankly SSD does nothing for this game while ever other program or game installed on my SSD load and run super fast Swtor does not

Naturalscience
10.28.2012 , 10:28 AM | #10
Bump again.

I am worried that Bioware believes the stuttering issue created by 1.4 is fixed...

This is NOT an FPS issue. FPS is fine, it is a type of like micro stuttering while you are moving or panning the camera around. Makes the game basically unplayable unless I have Shader Complexity at Very Low. Bad headaches if I leave all settings on high.