Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does 'mental alacrity' ADD 20% alac?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Does 'mental alacrity' ADD 20% alac?

Ycoga
10.24.2012 , 06:43 AM | #1
http://www.torhead.com/ability/fLmFqEx/mental-alacrity
Ability description = 'Grants 20% alacrity and immunity to interrupts for 10 seconds.'

'ModifyStat: AmountMin=>0.2, Stat=>Channeling Time Reduction, AmountMax=>0.2'

The above pseudocode suggests that the Mental Alacrity ability sets your 'alacrity' value to 20% for both min and max values, which implies that your current alac rating is NOT added to it when you use the ability.

Do you agree?
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

Ycoga
10.25.2012 , 07:20 AM | #2
Ok, next question.

YOU IN THE BACK, TAKE YOUR HEAD OFF THE DESK AND STOP SLEEPING

Would a sage with 20% natural alacrity (from gear) be 'powerful'; bearing in mind that this tier 5 ability grants a set 20% alacrity for 10 seconds (and makes you uninterruptable, which we can ignore for this question)?
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

enoax
10.27.2012 , 03:34 PM | #3
20% alacrity from gear would be a terrible idea.
enoa - sage - harbringer
chauser - gunslinger
crryra - assassin

SgtKlavier
10.27.2012 , 08:55 PM | #4
The 20% alacrity should be added to your current value from gear, whatever that is, so if you had 20 to begin with, you'd put yourself up at 40%. Obviously 20% from gear is impossible, but you get the idea.

Aital
11.03.2012 , 02:30 AM | #5
20% from gear is easy. It's 891 rating. I had it once but never tested mental alacrity.

SgtKlavier
11.03.2012 , 02:20 PM | #6
20% from gear is not "easy" by any means, though I was wrong, it is possible. The maximum alacrity rating you could obtain currently is 1078, but that is completely neglecting surge. The grind to get the proper enhancements and gear for even 891 rating would be tedious, and you should never have been at that point anyways.

warstory
11.04.2012 , 04:31 AM | #7
glad someone brought this up i been thinking about doing this myself. turbulence would be at 1.6 secs naturally may make it useful. I am currently at 14.56% which has my turbulence at 1.71 I think. Not sure if its worth it to go higher...at this point i think will power will be what I stack so i get the boost in dmg and crit.

Ycoga
11.05.2012 , 05:20 AM | #8
I'm experimenting also. I have 20% alac at the moment but I'll be upping it to 25% (procced) with the addition of 4 campaign armourings in 1.5.

At the moment, with 20% alac, my GCD's tick over at 1.2 seconds instead of 1.5. In practice this means I can for example produce an armor-piercing disturbance almost every second, at 35m range. Another example is TK throw, which can proc down to a 1.2 second channel.

I can produce a Telekinetic wave + tk throw in 3.6 secs, which is almost 2 GCD's. By comparison, a 'standard' TKWave + TKThrow = 4 GCD's.

Obviousy these are not the only examples and I look forward to learning more about how a high alac rating affects my playstyle.

SgtKlavier
11.05.2012 , 11:46 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
I'm experimenting also. I have 20% alac at the moment but I'll be upping it to 25% (procced) with the addition of 4 campaign armourings in 1.5.

At the moment, with 20% alac, my GCD's tick over at 1.2 seconds instead of 1.5. In practice this means I can for example produce an armor-piercing disturbance almost every second, at 35m range. Another example is TK throw, which can proc down to a 1.2 second channel.

I can produce a Telekinetic wave + tk throw in 3.6 secs, which is almost 2 GCD's. By comparison, a 'standard' TKWave + TKThrow = 4 GCD's.

Obviousy these are not the only examples and I look forward to learning more about how a high alac rating affects my playstyle.
Are you talking about running with a base 20% alacrity or what you are able to do when you add the ability bonus of 20%?

You will also not get the telekinetic wave and telekinetic throw off in 3.6 seconds unless you are casting the t-wave and using the procced version of t-throw, giving you 2.4+1.2. However, you should never actually be casting t-wave to use it as even with the 20% alacrity it is a waste when you can keep using shorter casted spells and then instant cast t-wave with proc after mental alacrity fades.

Aital
11.06.2012 , 09:08 AM | #10
Listen not to sargeantCleaver!!! HE KNOWS NOTHING!!! 8d

He knows not the way of the sage! Alacrity should be base 25% with 5% bonus proc from Force Master's and Mental alacrity! NO LESS!!!

10 seconds of 0.5 telekinetic throw will teach anyone a lesson!!! That's a lot of damage! 8o It's Armageddon it is!! He wishes not you have!! ><