Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best dps spec?

BadureAves's Avatar


BadureAves
10.23.2012 , 09:22 PM | #1
Need some help here on a dps spec for my Sin. Deception or madness?

Xethis's Avatar


Xethis
10.23.2012 , 11:09 PM | #2
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZfhbRzZfMfRrMkbM.2
There are many threads and posts where I break down the pros and cons to this spec. Not going to go through it all again just read around a bit.

ruling's Avatar


ruling
10.27.2012 , 04:37 PM | #3
darkness is still the best if your talking about pvp

nosmos's Avatar


nosmos
10.28.2012 , 07:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ruling View Post
darkness is still the best if your talking about pvp
I use deception, and i melt face. Mess around with different spec's and see what works for you
55 Assassin - 55 Sorc - 55 Jug - 55 Marauder - 55 Sniper
55 Operative - 55 merc - 55 Powertech

Draank's Avatar


Draank
10.28.2012 , 07:43 PM | #5
http://imgur.com/nl4wJ
http://i.imgur.com/pZmIY.jpg

Madness is viable as a dps spec if you're a good player. Its a very hard spec to play well.
_________________________________
Damager-Assassin/Shadow
Sithilus-Marauder
UncensoredUncensoredUncensoredUncensored

nosmos's Avatar


nosmos
10.28.2012 , 07:46 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Draank View Post
http://imgur.com/nl4wJ
http://i.imgur.com/pZmIY.jpg

Madness is viable as a dps spec if you're a good player. Its a very hard spec to play well.
In a regular warzone, madness is very easy to get mad damage. Discharge every player, creeping terror, deathfield. Full madness that is, deception since 1.4 (when i started playing my assassin again) i regularly top the charts, the odd marauder may be ahead a bit. Last week I got over 500k - in PVE, I seem to be doing fine as well in 16man TFB hm. I am usually within a percent or two from our marauders - and on certain fights im on top from burst.

I have yet to use madness in a raid, though I plan on it. Thing is, deception just feels more 'assassiny' to me - and I got sick of madness on my sorc back in March (though they have differences).

Play around, and get good gear
55 Assassin - 55 Sorc - 55 Jug - 55 Marauder - 55 Sniper
55 Operative - 55 merc - 55 Powertech

Draank's Avatar


Draank
10.28.2012 , 08:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by nosmos View Post
In a regular warzone, madness is very easy to get mad damage. Discharge every player, creeping terror, deathfield. Full madness that is, deception since 1.4 (when i started playing my assassin again) i regularly top the charts, the odd marauder may be ahead a bit. Last week I got over 500k - in PVE, I seem to be doing fine as well in 16man TFB hm. I am usually within a percent or two from our marauders - and on certain fights im on top from burst.

I have yet to use madness in a raid, though I plan on it. Thing is, deception just feels more 'assassiny' to me - and I got sick of madness on my sorc back in March (though they have differences).

Play around, and get good gear

Yes you can pull good numbers just by dotting people, but there is a lot more to the spec than that. If you're bad then all you do is dot people up. If you're a skilled player with the spec most of your damage will come from single target burst sequences that you can execute because your force regen is about 3x what it would be with deception.

I don't think deception has any use in a Ranked Warzone to be honest. Deception isn't viable for the same reason a concealment operative isn't. It has NO utility at all besides stealth. There are other burst classes that can seriously out perform them in burst as well such as a marksman sniper or a carnage marauder. As far as single target goes madness beats deception anyways as well as having arguably one of the best pressure dps capabilities in the game, and the best stealth capping ability in the game with the insta whirlwind. Getting over 500k damage is not really too much of an accomplishment for any class by the way, I've done 880k tank spec'd.
_________________________________
Damager-Assassin/Shadow
Sithilus-Marauder
UncensoredUncensoredUncensoredUncensored

thatPERSON's Avatar


thatPERSON
10.29.2012 , 03:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Draank View Post
I don't think deception has any use in a Ranked Warzone to be honest. Deception isn't viable for the same reason a concealment operative isn't. It has NO utility at all besides stealth. There are other burst classes that can seriously out perform them in burst as well such as a marksman sniper or a carnage marauder. As far as single target goes madness beats deception anyways as well as having arguably one of the best pressure dps capabilities in the game, and the best stealth capping ability in the game with the insta whirlwind. Getting over 500k damage is not really too much of an accomplishment for any class by the way, I've done 880k tank spec'd.
your forgetting one major thing that makes deception assassins amazing. the fact that they can laugh at rage spec maras and juggs with their aoe damage reduction. i cant tell you how many times ive had a rage spec come after me on my shadow only to crit 2k on their smash and they sit there helpless as i hit them for nearly 5k 3 times in a row (project, shadow strike, force breach). not to mention if you time all you stuns right you can burst a player down to nothing by the time the last stun falls off.
also, you can be tank spec'd as a sin/shadow and pull that kind of damage. i also notice you never said "in tank gear"

Letsjet's Avatar


Letsjet
11.27.2012 , 05:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xethis View Post
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZfhbRzZfMfRrMkbM.2
There are many threads and posts where I break down the pros and cons to this spec. Not going to go through it all again just read around a bit.
Is this post 1.4? I'm going to be mainly pvp'ing, but I still have to finish up my 40's and do the class quests. I'm moving from Darkness and Ashara.

Whould this above spec be viable in pve?
What comp should I gear out to give me the best chance to complete the last class quests
"I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen."

Xethis's Avatar


Xethis
11.30.2012 , 03:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Letsjet View Post
Is this post 1.4? I'm going to be mainly pvp'ing, but I still have to finish up my 40's and do the class quests. I'm moving from Darkness and Ashara.

Whould this above spec be viable in pve?
What comp should I gear out to give me the best chance to complete the last class quests
Yes its for 1.4
In the Wakalord guide on the first couple of pages I went into depth on how to Mad Maul. You can find info there. Second if you are still leveling then I would just stay Deception till 50. Mad Maul is not really going to shine till after your rocking Rakata/Black Hole Augmented gear. For pve I would just go full Madness till you get gear then switch over to Mad Maul after you get gear. If your going to pvp then at 50 start off with 23-1-17 and go to Wakajinn 0-27-14 after you start gearing up.