Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operatives got nerfed, why not rage spec?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Operatives got nerfed, why not rage spec?

Individual
10.22.2012 , 11:25 PM | #1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but opertives did hit that hard at one point till the first nerf, then they didn't see those numbers anymore, yet they got nerfed 2 more times after that. So Bioware, why is rage spec now allowed to hit this hard? Just kind curious if you folks are going to allow this type of burst. Also, operative burst wasn't aoe like rage spec is.

Kitru
10.23.2012 , 12:30 AM | #2
Properly played, release Operative/Scoundrel burst could kill pretty much anyone without them being able to do anything about it. Shoot First's stun is a knockdown effect, which means it ignores CC breaker abilities, and, iirc, it also lasted 3 seconds at release rather than the 1.5 that it currently does. Rage spec requires some time to ramp it up, and there are ways to counter it. There isn't really a reasonable comparison between the two specs, honestly.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Ismercu
10.23.2012 , 12:37 AM | #3
Hidden Strike/shoot first can only be used during stealth so you can only use it once while in combat unless you use your 2 min in combat stealth. It also requires you to be behind your target and it hits for a MAX of 4k on a war hero geared light armor user(Very very rare) while smash is aoe on the same cooldown hits for 7k on a war hero light armor user(pretty common) and can be used many times during combat since it doesnt require stealth. Not to mention jug has better defensive cooldowns, more mobility, wears heavy armor and can taunt. Only plus OP has is its stealth. Not saying OP is a bad class, it's just that no point in playing a DPS OP if you can do more with another class. And rage doesnt really need time to ramp it up, just press 1 button then leap and your smash is ready for use.

Kitru
10.23.2012 , 06:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ismercu View Post
Not saying OP is a bad class, it's just that no point in playing a DPS OP if you can do more with another class.
I'm not making the claim that Operative/Scoundrels are somehow better than Focus/Rage Guard/Juggs. I *am* stating that there is a massive difference between Operative/Scoundrels *at release* and Guard/Juggs *now*. *At release*, a burst spec'd Op/Scoundrel could kill pretty much anyone they chose without that person being able to do anything about it by walking up in stealth (using Sneak so they couldn't even be detected outside of a Stealth Scan) and double tapping the back of their skull without the target being able to do anything about it. It was broken. Focus has amazing burst, but it's not the same level of "***" that release Ops and Scoundrels were.

Quote:
And rage doesnt really need time to ramp it up, just press 1 button then leap and your smash is ready for use.
Combat Focus + Leap>Sweep is 2 GCDs that only stop the target from moving for a short period. You're fully capable of using a KB/CC/stun or activating a CD in that time frame to make up for the incoming burst damage (which isn't going to insta-gib you like a release Op/Scoundrel would). Combat Focus eliminates *some* of the ramp up time, but it still gives the victim time to react. That's completely different from the stealth gib that would be served up from the smoking scattergun of a release Scoundrel, which dealt more damage in a shorter time frame with no ability to react to your impending doom other than to bash your keyboard in futility while you watch your health plummet.

Focus Guardians are bursty, but they're nowhere near the same as Scoundrels were before they were nerfed, which is what the OP is bringing up.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

warultima
10.23.2012 , 06:33 AM | #5
Operative now and hulksmash now. Theres really no reason to talk about the past at this point really.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |