Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

Highcommander
01.05.2012 , 04:07 PM | #51
First, thank you all for the great feedback. This weekend I should put up part 2! So stay tuned!

Secondly I would like to point out that this is a basic guide and not a place for tips such as "make an alt and run the ball the wrong way." Those types of "tips" are not helpful for the longevity of the community. For whoever reads this guide I would ask that such posts are just ignored.

Quote: Originally Posted by Prophetic View Post
combining the Trooper's pull with the Jedi's Force leap. Jedi falls into the pit, Trooper positions himself on the enemies goal line, both the Trooper and Jedi target the same guy in the pit, Trooper pulls an enemy from the pit, Jedi leaps at the enemy once the enemy lands and runs the ball in.
That sounds really great! I would love to see that in action, although I think that would be incredibly hard to coordinate without the use of voice chat. Another way to do that is if the ball carrier does not have force leap they could just either pass the ball to the trooper or pass the ball to the enemy and kill him.

Thanks for sharing!

qqemokitty
01.05.2012 , 06:47 PM | #52
This is awesome. I've come to really enjoy Huttball, it is far and away the most exciting PvP map. It does make me wish I had a KB or a pull but other than that it is awesome.

Passing is a difficult thing to get used to and it is definitely a weakspot for me personally. Maybe because I don't have the throw ability hot keyed to something, I just click it. Since it is used only in Huttball I hate to give it an "important" keybind. :P But I think I will need to if I want to get serious about PvP.
Let them see what is not there, and feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses... that is the time to strike.

Sereloth
01.05.2012 , 08:12 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
This is awesome. I've come to really enjoy Huttball, it is far and away the most exciting PvP map. It does make me wish I had a KB or a pull but other than that it is awesome.

Passing is a difficult thing to get used to and it is definitely a weakspot for me personally. Maybe because I don't have the throw ability hot keyed to something, I just click it. Since it is used only in Huttball I hate to give it an "important" keybind. :P But I think I will need to if I want to get serious about PvP.
I didn't realize how important it was to keybind the ball throw ability until I did. It would take me so long to click and then pass that I would almost always die (usually being forced into acid or fire) before I could pass. I then decided to key bind the throw ability to my mouse wheel (pressing it), and I can pass much more efficiently.

dougstacy
01.06.2012 , 01:38 AM | #54
All I want to know about Huttball... is how the heck do I turn it off so I never play it again? It's crap. I cannot find a way to never play it.

Atrozious
01.06.2012 , 07:27 AM | #55
Just so were clear, Huttball sucks for bounty hunters. Just sayin.

iSay
01.06.2012 , 09:11 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Atrozious View Post
Just so were clear, Huttball sucks for bounty hunters. Just sayin.
Which is the part that sucks? The 2 knockbacks you can get, or the ability to drag the EBC off the platforms?

EscVelocity
01.06.2012 , 09:56 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by iSay View Post
Which is the part that sucks? The 2 knockbacks you can get, or the ability to drag the EBC off the platforms?
I did PVP through teens and into my level 32 Powertech (that I've put on the shelf for now), and killing people was difficult. Very difficult. Grappling people was fun since I saved the game (Huttball) by doing that a few times. But fighting just sucked. Flamethrower requires me to stand still. flame burst and sweep do hardly any damage at all. I used a build collected and agreed as viable in PVP among multiple popular sites/forums.

Think I'm just bad? So did I. So I tried another class that was melee (since I was getting killed mostly by melee), and lo and behold, I've got a Sith Warrior at level 10, still using the freaking training sword, MOWING down level 20's and higher. I kid you not. The people I kill the most? Bounty Hunters. They hardly do any damage to me, AT LEVEL 10! And I'm taking them down in less than 10 seconds. On my Bounty Hunter PT it takes like 45 - 60 seconds to fight someone. By that time they have allies show up.

Either I'm just more talented pushing buttons 1 - 6 on my Sith Warrior than I am on my Bounty Hunter, or something's imbalanced.

FalconDroid
01.06.2012 , 10:11 AM | #58
Our guild uses every tactic in this guide. As a BH PT Shield, I enjoy fire/poison grapples and jet charges into the endzone from the pit.

Quote: Originally Posted by EscVelocity View Post
I did PVP through teens and into my level 32 Powertech (that I've put on the shelf for now), and killing people was difficult. Very difficult. Grappling people was fun since I saved the game (Huttball) by doing that a few times. But fighting just sucked. Flamethrower requires me to stand still. flame burst and sweep do hardly any damage at all. I used a build collected and agreed as viable in PVP among multiple popular sites/forums.

Think I'm just bad? So did I. So I tried another class that was melee (since I was getting killed mostly by melee), and lo and behold, I've got a Sith Warrior at level 10, still using the freaking training sword, MOWING down level 20's and higher. I kid you not. The people I kill the most? Bounty Hunters. They hardly do any damage to me, AT LEVEL 10! And I'm taking them down in less than 10 seconds. On my Bounty Hunter PT it takes like 45 - 60 seconds to fight someone. By that time they have allies show up.

Either I'm just more talented pushing buttons 1 - 6 on my Sith Warrior than I am on my Bounty Hunter, or something's imbalanced.
Man, I honestly think huttball was BUILT for BH. I don't use channeled stuff in there. Flameburst and sweep are my bread and butter next to rail shot. I can 1 v 1 anyone up to lvl 40. You realize sweep is more of a debuff, right, to lower attack? (at least in my build) Are you using rail shot? Are you guarding people?
On'dru Ibex / Mind Games - Sith Empire

Masturomenos
01.06.2012 , 10:34 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Highcommander View Post
First, thank you all for the great feedback. This weekend I should put up part 2! So stay tuned!

Secondly I would like to point out that this is a basic guide and not a place for tips such as "make an alt and run the ball the wrong way." Those types of "tips" are not helpful for the longevity of the community. For whoever reads this guide I would ask that such posts are just ignored.

That sounds really great! I would love to see that in action, although I think that would be incredibly hard to coordinate without the use of voice chat. Another way to do that is if the ball carrier does not have force leap they could just either pass the ball to the trooper or pass the ball to the enemy and kill him.

Thanks for sharing!
Every tactc allowed is viable. I 100% agree they are horrible for longevity and community. When it is fixed by bioware then it will be deleted. Until then no tactic is broken or wrong. Alt self scoring and force grip into spawn zone are allowed and used so everyone should know about them not just the people abbusing the mechanics.
Worlds greatest PvP guild US Army 75th R.R. "Rangers Lead the Way" Formerly (Scarybadlady & Droppinloads of Banished-Rift)(Masturomenos, Restopharian, Swalowmylight, Drwitch & More of Infernal Affairs-WoW) (Scarybadman of Imperial Affairs, Bootyhunter & Scarybdlady of Spacebar Heroes-SWTOR)

Arellea
01.06.2012 , 12:02 PM | #60
One extra tip not mentioned here that many new huttball players overlook is that you can reset the ball if you are carrying it by passing it to no one (ie throwing the ball to a location where no player on either team will receive the pass).

This is very useful when you manage to kill an enemy ball carrier close to your goal line and find yourself near death and in a situation where you are at risk of turning the ball back over and have limited or no other immediate options. Even if the other team manages to be the first to the ball they will have to advance from mid field again rather than starting in a high probability scoring position.

Just be careful using this and ensure the throw is directed well away from any opposing players so as to not be intercepted.