Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
HuttBall 101 - A Player Guide

theLast
01.17.2012 , 09:50 PM | #111
TL;DR - Stack your team with healers and use no other tactics = win
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLast
I've never been a fan of the idea of player bounties, but if we have the option of putting bounties out on people using only their forum handle I'd be down for it.
▲▲▼▼◄►◄►(B) (A) (SELECT) (START)

cravix
01.18.2012 , 05:09 PM | #112
**** huttball

AngryBuddhist
01.19.2012 , 02:11 PM | #113
This is my huttball experience....

http://www.abominable.cc/2012/01/18/...nger/#comments

Anbesol
01.19.2012 , 05:22 PM | #114
I Love the idea of huttball, BUT lightsabers and guns in a sporting game? Devs too lazy to come up with specialized force-gloves for each class???

Molochai
01.20.2012 , 02:40 AM | #115
This is an awesome thread. So much so that it inspired me to share what I've learned as of this stage of my Huttball career. I am still learning and I change my mind and perspective often, but I felt compelled to share how I look at things and play. After reading this thread, I've already learned quite a few things I didn't take into consideration. I hope to see more tips and such after finally reading this because there's a lot of players out there that have strategies that leave me scratching my head wondering *** just happened =P Anyways, feel free to flame or suggest away. I'm merely trying to inspire help as well as hoping to learn more tips in perpetually becoming a better player.

What I "think" I know about Huttball regarding when to both inflict damage, and when not to:

-- (When the ball is neutral):Only attack the other team (for dmg) when you're protecting team members or finishing off adversaries; preferably using AoEs when in group situations. This statement is meant to state that if you're not focused on the ball and you're simply attacking a target as a "personal vendetta" then you're either a noob, five years old, or a selfish hole that NEEDS to be doing open world pvp. The only other plausible reason to be attacking anyone that doesn't involve direct relations with the ball is because you're hung like Chuck Norris and can sweep through your target in a quick brisk fashion with the rest of the Champion/Battlemasters.

-- (when the ball is in play): Regarding single target damage; when your team is carrying the ball, or if it's a dire NECESSITY in order to remove the ball from the other team, then it is also considered "OK" to both, attack and to remove an adversary to sustain your teams ability to score and to ultimately win the game. Spamming AoEs around the ball (be it to damage the adversary or to heal your team) helps everyone... This is quiet possibly the biggest issue that I can personally see... This is what everyone is really complaining about we they say "you all suck at pvp and you should quit life, jump out a window and hope it's more than one story": Attack with single target damage only when it involves either placing the ball in your teams hands, or keeps the ball within your team... As soon as the fight you're in becomes irrelevant to the unified objective, pick up anchor and move on. <----- This is the place reserved for you to get your jollies off. This is for all of you that like to match up 1 vs 1 or run into colors and numbers for another untimely death... whatever does it for you, really... Just so that you're not hurting your teams effort to win the game. ^ This is the place reserved for testing your might! If you don't give a good godd about the ball and just want to fight then... HERE'S YOUR WINDOW!!! Your opportunity to assists your team is right here. I feel like it can't be said enough. If everyone, even half the time, did this we'd have some epic games... as many of us have seen. Otherwise... Focus on status effects or AoEs to slow or bind up the other team until your next window of opportunity comes.

This IS all to say that there ARE most definitely bad times to be killing members of the other team. There are always going to be players that just wonder around and aimlessly attack and incur a battle that has little or no role in the shared activity at present. Simply do your best to not be one of them. It's easy to do. Each player that plays like this just removed themselves from helping your team. Your dps and other unique abilities should be utilized on targets involving the ball.

-- (Playing styles):

The Aggressor: follows the ball wherever it resides like a K-9 after it's favorite toy. If the ball is in team, than he guards; if the ball is out of team then he does everything in his power to get it in his hands (e.g. killing, healing, slowing, holding, pulling, knocking back... etc.)

The Defender: follows the group of aggressors and supports team with their actions.(e.g. guarding, healing, buffing, mezzing/slowing, etc... the same as the aggressor, basically but meant to defend the teams actions rather than to drive the team.)

The Elite Aggressor/Defender: With the ability including gear and skill to do so, the EAD is free from the "team mentality"; taking on the burden of the task all to himself he plays both, the aggressor AND the defender roles as they apply in a SOLO attempt to win the game. The sole difference between "The Aggressor" and EAD is not only the break from team work mentality, but the ability to sustain and succeed as a single unit as well. This is to say that if you CANNOT sustain AND succeed as a single unit then stick with the team. The EAD will inevitably cross paths and run with the team a good 80% of the time as it is the same objective at hand.

-- (Retrospection): Do not limit your team with your presence unless you're absolutely sure that your actions are meant in aiding your teams chance to succeed. Your actions matter as soon as you take that spot in the team. Larger numbers as a unit wins games. Don't limit your team by lessening it's volume of effort. If you don't want to play Huttball then let yourself "time out" by staying dead or staying in the safe zone so that another player can enter from Queue... If your actions are anything other than aiding in moving the ball at all, then you are sincerely subverting your teams chance to succeed in a HUGE way.
(▓███████████████α██████α██████π███████████████▓)

Highcommander
01.22.2012 , 12:01 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Molochai View Post
So much so that it inspired me to share what I've learned as of this stage of my Huttball career. .
Thank you for a wonderful post and sharing your tips with us! was a great read

DivineDi
01.23.2012 , 08:53 AM | #117
hehe I love the idea of stealthing at the enemy line and just walking over ! Think I can manage that :-p

Hardin_Steele
01.23.2012 , 03:01 PM | #118
It's got to be simple, but how do you pass? I can't ever release the ball even tho I have the Hot Button with the ball on it. In perfect position to grab after a score, but can't get rid of it.

Basilmurds
01.23.2012 , 05:07 PM | #119
Ok so I keep getting crushed in Huttball! One time I got the ball, I took two steps, and then four guys killed me! It was funny actually, but also made me sad

Arraya
01.23.2012 , 07:59 PM | #120
damn u idiots from bioware reduce numbers of the same classes in the same team in every WZ. U never can play against 6 sorc or sages . I think u must be really helpless with pvp parts in this game let Mythic do it