Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Changing "saber stance" is instant...changing "ammo" or "clips" needs cast time...WHY

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Changing "saber stance" is instant...changing "ammo" or "clips" needs cast time...WHY

Royox's Avatar


Royox
10.21.2012 , 04:35 PM | #1
Why? Why the SAME thing has cast time in one class and it's instant on the other? It makes no sense. When I'm playing my Guardian I change my saber stance with the situation..."oh that healer is being attacked and unguarded, let's help him" or "1 imp alone, chii-cho and dstroy him".

I can't do this with my vanguard cause I have to STOP and Cast what can make the diference to a healer life.

Let us change clips as a Instant Skill just like Jedis/Siths. Balance this.

IronFirewind's Avatar


IronFirewind
10.21.2012 , 04:47 PM | #2
Troopers and Bounty Hunters start out a fight with their ammo maxed out, but I have to charge in to build up my rage which can cost the healer's life. Balance it please because it makes no sense.
Lilisetté - Assassin | The Progenitor EU (RP)

Royox's Avatar


Royox
10.21.2012 , 04:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by IronFirewind View Post
Troopers and Bounty Hunters start out a fight with their ammo maxed out, but I have to charge in to build up my rage which can cost the healer's life. Balance it please because it makes no sense.
This makes no sense. I can't change my stance instantly as a jedi can and we have the same purpose.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.22.2012 , 03:57 AM | #4
The Jedi stances reset their relevant class's resource to 0 when switching. The Trooper/BH stances do not. That's the balance you're not realizing. When BH/Troopers have to deal with losing all of their resources when they stance swap, then they'll get the ability to change them as an instant cast rather than a 1.5 sec cast (which is the same amount of time; the only difference is that the cast requires you to not move and can possibly be interrupted, which isn't really a big deal).

Honestly, it's not like you ever need or want to hot-swap stances. If you're DPS and you "need' to tank/heal something, you're better off blowing a survivability CD and tossing out either your taunt (which doesn't require a tank stance to use) or start hardcasting heals whether you're in the appropriate stance or not. The loss of the GCD that occurs whether you're a Force user or a Tech user when you stance swap would be wasted because so much of what a tank actually operates with is dependent upon gear and spec (and healing is almost entirely based on spec since healer gear is remarkably similar to DPS gear) that going into a stance other than the one intended by your spec is pretty much pointless.

In short, it's balanced because you're not looking at the whole picture, and it's not like it's even that big of an issue in the first place. Hot swapping stances is idiotic, whether you're a BH/Trooper, Guard/Jugg, or Shad/Sin.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Royox's Avatar


Royox
10.22.2012 , 11:11 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
The Jedi stances reset their relevant class's resource to 0 when switching. The Trooper/BH stances do not. That's the balance you're not realizing..
True. I didn't remember that.

Almost /threat then. Sorry :_

Daxx-Vosh's Avatar


Daxx-Vosh
10.25.2012 , 03:15 AM | #6
Well to be honest, he has a point.

While the warriors resource will be reset to 0, he however still is able to generate it quickly again.
A trooper has a, please correct me on this, 1-2 min CD he COULD blow in order to regain half of his resources in an instant.

Furthermore a warrior has no penalty in regaining his resources while a vanguard/pt has to deal with lessened resource regeneration rate.

So an explanation still would be good.

denpic's Avatar


denpic
10.25.2012 , 03:27 AM | #7
Force leap doesn't give full resources its like 3 focus

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.25.2012 , 03:53 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Daxx-Vosh View Post
Well to be honest, he has a point.
No, he doesn't. You're apparently ignorant about the differences between the stance switches even though I've already stated it earlier. Let me be clear: the resource reset *only* applies to Knight/Warriors and Shadow/Assassins. When Troopers stance swap, which has a cast time attached to it, their resources are left completely alone.

Instant cast = resource reset
Cast time = no resource cost at all

The balance between the swaps is *right there*. You either instant cast or you keep your resources when you stance change, not that you ever *should* in combat. It's a largely pointless thing to debate in the first place, as I also pointed out: you shouldn't be stance dancing at all in the first place. Even if you needed to quickly tank or heal, you'd be better served by blowing a CD and just jumping into the role without stance dancing at all because spec and gear matter more than your stance does on its own.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Daxx-Vosh's Avatar


Daxx-Vosh
10.25.2012 , 04:10 AM | #9
As a matter of fact it is a pointless conversation since you obviously made up your mind already and seem to lack reading skills.

A trooper can't regenerate ammo by hitting his primary attack nor by charging onto the next enemy, nor does he have the privilege to regenerate his resource on a constant rate once it's depleted.

Cast time = interruptible, stand still
No cast time = well I hope you get the point.

....But if this helps you - stance dancing is mostly pointless.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.25.2012 , 05:29 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Daxx-Vosh View Post
A trooper can't regenerate ammo by hitting his primary attack nor by charging onto the next enemy, nor does he have the privilege to regenerate his resource on a constant rate once it's depleted.
Why does it even *matter* that Troopers regeneration ammo at a reduced rate when they're low? It has *nothing* to do with their stances having a cast time and the wrongly perceived imbalance between the stance swapping abilities of Force using classes and Tech using classes. The balance, insofar as balance is "needed" for a capability that is entirely pointless within the confines of the game, is present already in the comparative "costs" and risk of stance changing for the classes in question.

It's not "lack of reading skills" on my part. It's "and your point is?" Sure, you can find situations where it's "worse" to switch stances with one class (and there are just as many where it's vice versa) compared to the other based upon observations of the different classes' resource mechanisms (btw, Strike spamming to rebuild your resources is a *terrible* idea since few Guardians or Sentinels should be touching Strike since they have access to *better* resource generation powers that are designed to replace Strike unless you're doing a poor job of balancing your generation and consumption), but you still have to answer the question as to *why* you would ever want to change stances while you're in combat in the first place.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.