Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reactive shield SUCKS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Reactive shield SUCKS

Kitru
11.04.2012 , 04:19 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishko View Post
What if reactive sheild for commandos made them immune to interrupt, crit, pulls and knock back?
I could see something like that, without the crit immunity (I'm not even sure how feasible that is, honestly), though it only really solves the problem for 12 seconds every 2 minutes. Combat Medic already gets the interrupt immunity so that would need to be replaced.

Quote:
And adrenline rush increased movement and cast speed by 50%?
50% increase to cast speed simply isn't going to happen.You'd be allowing for .75 sec cast time heals and Grav Rounds/Charged Bolts, which turn it into a DPS CD as opposed to a survivability CD. What Adrenaline Rush needs is it being turned into a frontloaded heal (so that it heals at least 5% right away and then 10% more over 10 seconds or something like that), but, even so, neither of those changes would really do much to make up for the fact that Troopers have outright less in the way of CDs compared to everyone else.

Reactive Shield, on its own, works fine for Commandos as a DPS/Heal class. The change needed for them is more systemic: they need specific protections to operate effectively as a turret class in PvP, similar but not identical to GS/Snipers. Some kind of passive conditional interrupt immunity or a heavy tweak to Tech Override (reducing the CD and providing charges as opposed to a single effect) is what's needed. As for VGs, for tanks, at least, another CD, in its entirety, is needed. For DPS, they don't really need another CD, but there is definitely some credence to suggesting that Storm should be made into a baseline skill, what with being a melee/short range class without an effective gap closer.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Ishko
11.04.2012 , 06:16 PM | #42
Crit immunity is very feasable in pvp. Been proven on wow. Let's face it, crits hurt. Immunity to forced movement and interrupt also would make it a very powerful option.

As for adrenlin rush, instead of adding more HP, all it would take is an increased movement speed talent for assault since they don't worry as much about cast time, allow gunnery to cast while moving with adrenlin rush up, and for medic increase self heals. That in addition to the 15% weak and laughable HP bonus would probably make it worth it's while in PvP.
For my brothers in arms, I will protect my own.

Kitru
11.04.2012 , 07:43 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Ishko View Post
Crit immunity is very feasable in pvp. Been proven on wow.
I'm not talking about balance feasibility. I'm talking about mechanical feasibility within the confines of the game engine. As it stands, I don't know of any ability that reduces your chance of getting crit, and, honestly, if it did exist, you would expect it to be given to tanks at the very least. If it takes a lot of programming to implement such a capability, it's not likely to be worth it, from a developmental resources perspective.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

BlznSmri
11.04.2012 , 09:13 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
And in 2 mins, I'll be able to use it again unlike saber ward where I'll die just as quickly, but have to wait 3 mins to use it again.

Saber ward blows in comparison to reactive shield. I also forgot to mention in my last post that things like accuracy will eat into saber ward's 50% defense, and certain skills will always hit. For example, snipers/GS have a skill that increase their accuracy by like 30%. Then there's also riposte which cannot be parried/dodged/miss. Those things either completely bypass saber ward, or reduce it's effectiveness.

This is why 25% red ALL dam is better, especially when you can use it every 2 mins instead of 3. Reactive shield is quite good, though I agree it should also make you immune to interrupts as a baseline.
I guess their 30% boost to health and 40% damage reduction doesn't exist either.

Simply put though, Saber Ward is the strongest defensive cooldown in the game simply because it is the Shadow's Deflection and Trooper's Reactive shield lumped together in one defensive.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

Zoom_VI
11.05.2012 , 08:47 PM | #45
BW made reactivesheild the way it is for the van tank style and forget to look at the other specs and AC. Vans have hardly any defensive cds becuase they are the passive tank.
Jugg tanks are cds based - low passive defense but many cds to use, they also have high utilities but relatively low dps compared to the other two tank classes. Shadow/Sins have moderate amount of cds and moderate passive defense. They are mid range for the tank dps classes and have little utilities. Vans are the passive end with hardly any defensive cds but the highest passive mitigation, and the highest dps of the tanks with a moderate amount of utility. Reactive sheild was designed for this and BW overestimated heavy armor and thus did not give the other specs any cds of their own.

Perhaps the best fix in my opinion would be to reduce the cd of reactive to say 1 min. That way it is actually more usable in pvp matches. BW could also add maybe a passive talent given to commandos when they get their AC, perhaps increasing reactive sheild's damage mitigation for them so they can actually use it to prolong their lives, perhaps 50% mitigation.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

dejavy
11.05.2012 , 09:53 PM | #46
Troopers sux we know. Vanguard is fine with his burst damage but it doesn't change the whole picture. TROOPERS are squishiest shi* in the game with stupid utility like Tech override etc. Oh, and vanguard is a 10m kitable piece of shi* now. ))

steaktrooper
11.07.2012 , 08:53 PM | #47
Quote:
Troopers sux we know. Vanguard is fine with his burst damage but it doesn't change the whole picture. TROOPERS are squishiest shi* in the game with stupid utility like Tech override etc. Oh, and vanguard is a 10m kitable piece of shi* now. ))
I beg to differ. I am tank spec and with my storm and harpoon i am un-kitable.
Lembar Romdoro Agenros Cavteff
Sith Covenant / Jedi Covenant @ The Harbinger

Smashbrother
11.10.2012 , 02:00 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
I guess their 30% boost to health and 40% damage reduction doesn't exist either.

Simply put though, Saber Ward is the strongest defensive cooldown in the game simply because it is the Shadow's Deflection and Trooper's Reactive shield lumped together in one defensive.
We're comparing the two skills, not the two classes. Saber ward is only marginally stronger than reactive shield, but at the same time has a 50% longer cd. I'd much rather have reactive shield.

DariusCalera
11.11.2012 , 01:35 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
We're comparing the two skills, not the two classes. Saber ward is only marginally stronger than reactive shield, but at the same time has a 50% longer cd. I'd much rather have reactive shield.
The use of each is entirely situational and in those situations when a defensive cool down must be popped, Saber Ward is, by far, the superior or the two.