Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reactive shield SUCKS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Reactive shield SUCKS

Royox
10.21.2012 , 09:41 AM | #1
This is NOT FAIR. Every other class has better defensive skills than us.

Jedi Knight have Saber Ward (-25% damage and DEFENSE INCREASED ---> Deflect deflect deflect deflect) and Enure. And if you are Sentinel when you are about to die you can use that "you can't touch me lol" skill.

Shadows have that stupid "nothing affects me" and Deflection (+50% ranged and melee defense------> deflect deflect deflect deflect)

Even SMUGGLERS HAVE DEFENSIVE CD'S! And they CAN'T TANK! Defense Screen (15sec) and Dodge

What do we Vanguards have???? STUPID REACTIVE SHIELD that ONLY reduces damage 25% for 12 sec.

The other TANK classes have a defensive skill that gives them DEFENSE and damage protection and yet another Defensive CD to survive a bit more.......once I used my Shield I HAVE NOTHING.

And no, ADRENALINE RUSH is not a defensice CD. The ammount of life you restore with that skill is ridiculous.

Improve our Reactive Shield....or give us another defensive skill.

Kytea
10.21.2012 , 10:49 AM | #2
Troopers wear heavy armor

DariusCalera
10.21.2012 , 11:01 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kytea View Post
The actual difference between heavy and light armor is negligible.

BW has already stated numerous times that heavy armor is not performing the way that they thought that it would because of the vast number of attacks and abilities used by both other players and bosses that totally bypass it.

Royox
10.21.2012 , 12:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kytea View Post
So Guardians. And their saber Ward is 100 times better than React.Shield. Saber ward gives 25% less damage (as React. Shield) and MORE DEFENSE STAT. I feel like an sponge when playing my vanguard....I have nothing to live a bit longer.

rob_y
10.21.2012 , 12:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
Even SMUGGLERS HAVE DEFENSIVE CD'S! And they CAN'T TANK! Defense Screen (15sec) and Dodge
Defense Screen isn't really a defensive cooldown, it's more similar to a heal than a defensive cooldown (defensive cooldowns tend to mitigate any amount of incoming damage for a set time - defense screen just absorbs a set amount of damage, like the Sage/Sorc bubble, and can be blown right through). And Dodge only lasts 3 seconds (4 if using the set bonus).

Just to clarify.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

Royox
10.21.2012 , 12:18 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
Defense Screen isn't really a defensive cooldown, it's more similar to a heal than a defensive cooldown (defensive cooldowns tend to mitigate any amount of incoming damage for a set time - defense screen just absorbs a set amount of damage, like the Sage/Sorc bubble, and can be blown right through). And Dodge only lasts 3 seconds (4 if using the set bonus).

Just to clarify.
I know I know. i'm only trying to say that everybody have more def. skills than a Vanguard. And the other tanks classes have much better Defensive skills.

pd: A 3-4 sec "dodge bubble" would save my life almost 90% I deal with a marauder in 1 vs 1. They use their "u can't touch me" I use it too.

crazyBE
10.21.2012 , 12:52 PM | #7

I know I know. i'm only trying to say that everybody have more def. skills than a Vanguard. And the other tanks classes have much better Defensive skills.

pd: A 3-4 sec "dodge bubble" would save my life almost 90% I deal with a marauder in 1 vs 1. They use their "u can't touch me" I use it too.
You can stun someone through 'Guarded by the force' and 'Dodge'.
Can't keep you stunned through your entire reactive shield.

Different cooldowns are used for different situations.
Not to mention Dodge and Deflection only work on melee/ranged and are useless on force/tech.
Reactive shield works on everything.

Royox
10.21.2012 , 12:55 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by crazyBE View Post
Not to mention Dodge and Deflection only work on melee/ranged and are useless on force/tech.
Reactive shield works on everything.
So give to it a Defense buff like Saber Ward or the Assassin one and I will be fine. That's the "not fair" thing. My CD ONLY gives me 25% less damage. Guardian and Shadow CD gives them too something else like 50% more defense.

klham
10.21.2012 , 01:21 PM | #9
I've said this in other threads: buffing Reactive Shield is probably the easiest and least invasive way to fix the more glaring class balance issues for Troopers (especially Commandos). You could mix different options in each tree that provide Reactive Shield with a movement buff (like Hold the Line), shorter cool down (like the sage bubble), immunity to controlling effects (like Hunker Down) and AoE damage mitigation (like the Gunslinger's shield), or any combination of these. Imagine having Reactive Shield on a 60 sec cool down providing 25% dmg mitigation for 12 seconds along with a 30% speed buff, immunity from all movement impairing and controlling effects, interrupts, and leaps/pulls. You could *actually* carry the huttball for more than the 3-4 GCDs it takes to leap, stun and kill you. You might even have time to move the ball forward a little bit and pass it to a buddy. Imagine that. Players might actually welcome Commandos in WZs again, and healers might actually see them as worth healing. And given that every other AC (except smugglers and agents) have talents that enable them to completely disregard the physical characteristics of WZ maps (elevated platforms, firetraps, acid pools, and distance gaps) I don't think this would make Troopers (and certainly not Commandos) OP.

Rassuro
10.22.2012 , 04:49 AM | #10
Jedi Knight have Saber Ward (-25% damage and DEFENSE INCREASED ---> Deflect deflect deflect deflect) and Enure.
The 25% damage reduction only works against Force and Tech, and the 50% increased defense only works against melee and ranged. The two does not stack.

I'm not saying that it's not a great ability, it is, but throughout your post it seems as though you don't take into account the difference between melee, ranged, tech, and force abilities, and that you don't take into account the difference between completely avoiding an attack, and reducing the damage from it.

Shadows have that stupid "nothing affects me" and Deflection (+50% ranged and melee defense------> deflect deflect deflect deflect)
Force Shroud lasts for 3 seconds and gives them defense from force and tech attacks.
Deflection, which gives them 50% damage reduction for 12 seconds, only works against ranged and melee attacks. I don't know how useful this is in PVE, since I don't know what types of abilities end-game PVE bosses use, but in PVP most abilities are not melee or ranged.
(Names of Assassin abilities since I don't remember what they are called for Shadows)

Reactive Shield gives you 25% damage reduction for 12 seconds, but it works against every type of damage in the game.

And no, ADRENALINE RUSH is not a defensice CD. The ammount of life you restore with that skill is ridiculous.
Dodge lasts for 3 seconds and only gives defense against melee and ranged attacks (which, again, in PVP means that it won't work against most attacks).

Defense Screen will in total prevent about as much damage as Adrenaline Rush will heal you for.
If you consider Adrenaline Rush to heal you for so little that you can't even consider it as a defensive CD, then why do you not do the same with Defensive Screen?
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse