Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Niman

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Niman

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.20.2012 , 05:29 PM | #1
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"- Cin Drallig, Jedi Battlemaster

The next form is the balanced Niman Form. Cin Drallig continues...

Form VI, also called Niman, is the current standard in lightsaber training. This form balances the emphasis of other forms with overall moderation. Through Form VI, a Jedi may achieve true harmony and justice without resorting to the rule of power. It is often referred to as the diplomats form because it is less intensive in its demands than the other discplines, allowing Jedi to spend more time developing their skills in perception, political strategy, and negotiation. The Jedi Council maintains that Form VIbest suits the role of contemporary Jedi Knights. After all, a Jedi Knight who is overly trained in martial combat might be at a loss to resolve complex political conflict or a sensitive trade disagreement.
How long can you expect to study Form VI before you master it? If you dedicate yourself only to Form VI, you will study for at least ten years.
is Form VI the most worthy of study? No, but in general it is the most practical. I would be negligent if I remained from noting that full masters of other forms have come to consider Form VI as insufficiently demanding.


So what do we know about Niman? We know that the Jedi Council encourages the use of Niman in order to resolve political disputes. But they do not discourage the use of other forms.

Form VI uses a compilation of the qualities of the previous forms, but in moderation. It has no true strength, but no true weakness. The Form also teaches to implement the Force regularly during combat in, somewhat, aggressive ways.

Unfortunately, the sole masters of Niman in the Jedi Order were all killed during the Battle of Geonosis. Practitioners of Form VI that were not at Geonosis were either training at the Temple or had specialized in other Forms.

Known Masters: Deceased. But one of the greatest practitioners of Niman and Jar'Kai ever would be Exar Kun. One of the greatest practitioner of Niman at the time of these recordings was Cin Drallig himself.

Here is Form V if you missed it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=545713

OK. So next is the aggressive form of Juyo. The remaining threads will be released in this order: Juyo, Vaapad, Jar'Kai, the Masters, and The Marks of Contact.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them here or send me a message.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

ToEasy's Avatar


ToEasy
10.20.2012 , 05:35 PM | #2
Good job, though I have never been a fan of Niman. I guess because I don't like that it doesn't have any true advantages.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.20.2012 , 05:39 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
Good job, though I have never been a fan of Niman. I guess because I don't like that it doesn't have any true advantages.
I would have to agree. Niman doesn't have advantages or disadvantages. A very balanced form, but it doesn't have the advantages of the other forms. But sometimes balance can be an advantage in itself.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

ToEasy's Avatar


ToEasy
10.20.2012 , 05:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I would have to agree. Niman doesn't have advantages or disadvantages. A very balanced form, but it doesn't have the advantages of the other forms. But sometimes balance can be an advantage in itself.
True. I guess I am just not a fan of the moderation. Might be the reason why I like forms like Djem So, Juyo, and Vaapad.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
10.20.2012 , 05:48 PM | #5
Yay, Niman

One could say it that way:
Niman was developed for and used by lazy Jedi who didn't expect to fight for their life. But if you are ready to invest lots of time into it and are a little creative, you can turn it into a very effective combat style.

Again, two questions:

Are you sure those who died on Geonisis were real Niman masters who had practiced Niman for at least ten years once a day?
I think the only real master of Niman at that time was Cin Drallig, the others were only diplomats who used Niman as their primary style but never mastered it.


Niman can be used with a second blade, especially a lightsaber shoto, if I remember correctly. Would it be a good idea to use a Cortosis dagger instead of the shoto? That kind of Cortisis which deactivates lightsabers. I think that would really p*ss your opponent off.

Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
True. I guess I am just not a fan of the moderation. Might be the reason why I like forms like Djem So, Juyo, and Vaapad.
Well, someone once said to master Juyo you would have to be an angry lunatic with a lot of self disciplin. A pretty rare combo. And Vaapad is the whole thing to eleven. So better stick with Djem So
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Preventer-Blaze's Avatar


Preventer-Blaze
10.20.2012 , 05:52 PM | #6
And that is my favorite form. I can resume simply by saying that: in my vision "my" Jedi wants to be a "negociator" (diplomatic) and, after seeing all the forms, thats what suits him best. And, the other reason, is because this form balances well with the use of the Force. Hence the reason why this fills my Jedi Consular (again, in my vision, saddly we don't have all the forms of the tor era in swtor, but, like Maaruin says in the other thread, we always can RP)

I really enjoy reading this, thanks and keep up the good work, Aurbere

GarfieldJL's Avatar


GarfieldJL
10.20.2012 , 06:36 PM | #7
I think it's weakness is that it has no particular strengths compared to other forms, I also think that is partially why the masters on genosis that practiced this style got filled full of blaster bolts.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.20.2012 , 06:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Yay, Niman

One could say it that way:
Niman was developed for and used by lazy Jedi who didn't expect to fight for their life. But if you are ready to invest lots of time into it and are a little creative, you can turn it into a very effective combat style.

Again, two questions:

Are you sure those who died on Geonisis were real Niman masters who had practiced Niman for at least ten years once a day?
I think the only real master of Niman at that time was Cin Drallig, the others were only diplomats who used Niman as their primary style but never mastered it.


Niman can be used with a second blade, especially a lightsaber shoto, if I remember correctly. Would it be a good idea to use a Cortosis dagger instead of the shoto? That kind of Cortisis which deactivates lightsabers. I think that would really p*ss your opponent off.



Well, someone once said to master Juyo you would have to be an angry lunatic with a lot of self disciplin. A pretty rare combo. And Vaapad is the whole thing to eleven. So better stick with Djem So
Not all of them were true masters, but the majority of them were very capable with the Form. Joclad Danva was a skilled practitioner of Niman and a master of Jar'Kai. He was one of the Order's best Niman duelists. But Cin Drallig was the Order's greatest practitioner of the Niman.

I believe a dagger would substitute a shoto. I know I would be mad if my lightsaber shorted out.

Not a raving lunatic exactly. Juyo can bring a user close to the Dark Side, but not as close as Vaapad. Juyo is one of the more aggressive forms that very few Jedi practice. Even Cin Drallig was not a practitioner of Juyo. While he did learn it, he avoided it because of its slightly darker nature.

EDIT: fun fact for you all. The actor that played Joclad Danva was also one of Christopher Lee's stunt doubles.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.20.2012 , 07:05 PM | #9
It's simply an all round form.

Look at what it did for you in KOTORII. It was basically that form when you need a bit of each, and not enough of something else.

Plus if you're going to be more of a diplomat jedi and don't have time to really strenuously train, form VI is the best for you.

I consider it the Tae Bo of lightsaber combat

Though with Exar Kun, it just shows you can take a simple form and make it deadly tum-de-dum
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.20.2012 , 07:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
It's simply an all round form.

Look at what it did for you in KOTORII. It was basically that form when you need a bit of each, and not enough of something else.

Plus if you're going to be more of a diplomat jedi and don't have time to really strenuously train, form VI is the best for you.

I consider it the Tae Bo of lightsaber combat

Though with Exar Kun, it just shows you can take a simple form and make it deadly tum-de-dum
Niman is my go to Form on KOTOR II. Very good form on that game.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus