Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Updated Tanking Spreadsheet (TFB HM damage numbers!)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Updated Tanking Spreadsheet (TFB HM damage numbers!)

dominius
10.23.2012 , 02:00 PM | #21
When in doubt, use your combat logs.

Powertech Tank on our TFB kill this week: http://www.torparse.com/a/33495/9
Assassin Tank on our TFB kill this week: http://www.torparse.com/a/33492/9

Click on "Damage Taken" or "Log" and just look for Monsterous Swipe. That is the melee ability The TFB uses if you tank on the proper lower platforms. That attack can be shielded and avoided. If there is another ability he uses that looks like a melee ability but isn't, I haven't seen it so I can't help you there.
Guildmaster of
Elitist Isolationists
Website | Forums | The Harbinger
Domineus || Malego || Trotsky || Ava'rus

tigervol
10.23.2012 , 04:50 PM | #22
We tank him up top so our healers will have something to do! They tend to zzz mid-fight if we don't keep 'em busy.

tigervol
10.23.2012 , 05:10 PM | #23
Here is a link to my parse from last Tuesday's 16-man Hard Mode run: http://www.torparse.com/a/36213

I tank from platform 9, when the spit comes, I drop to 15, run back to 1 to clear my debuff, then go back to 9. By the time I get back to 9, it's time for me to taunt again, so I tank at 9 until the green pool goes away on 15, and when the green pool goes away, I hop back up to 15 and tank there again until the next spit. Rinse repeat until final burn phase when I move down to platform 9 for the final burn.

*NOTE: Platform numbers are based off of this map: http://i.imgur.com/XnkOy.jpg*

I see that based on my total damage taken vs. both of your tanks' damage taken, I took roughly 200k more damage than the 2 of you over the course of the fight, but I also had substantially more absorbed damage. It's important to note that I'm a guardian, so our classes are different.

I'll try to get our vanguard to post his logs from last week to see how they compare to your powertech logs. If I'm not mistaken, he tanks almost exclusively on platform 2.

Our main reasoning behind tanking much of the time on platforms 2 and 15 is that it gives the DPS more freedom to move around without the worry of getting smacked by being on a tank platform. We have no problems clearing the content at all.

tigervol
10.23.2012 , 05:39 PM | #24
What is void disturbance? Internal damage that both of you guys took that I did not take any of.

glomeo
10.23.2012 , 10:11 PM | #25
http://www.torparse.com/a/36224 is the log of the Vanguard from the same fight. I tank on platform 2, using platform 3 when necessary and platform 11 only when 2 has a Phasic Spit Pool and 3 has an Anomaly. Consequently, I take no hits from Monsterous Swipe, and considerably more from Phasic Spittle. This contributes to considerably more damage over the course of the fight, but in a very predictable fashion which our healers aren't having any trouble managing.

I had a bit of a chat from our heal crew during this week's Operation, and they have assured me that tank damage isn't a concern for them during P2 and that I don't need to do anything to mitigate damage taken. While it runs counter to my instincts, the simple truth is that predictable damage on a tank - even when it's high - is preferable when it allows the DPS certainty in positioning and healthy freedom of movement. And really, that's true throughout TFB, and the basic problem that I'm having with this thread. Incoming damage on the tank simply isn't enough to be concerned in this Operation, and there's precious little reason to mitigate it. Our heal squad is doing well, our tanks are taking the damage and handling positioning, and our DPS are free to pew pew. When that stops working, I'll be happy to start considering alternatives to reduce incoming damage.

KeyboardNinja
10.24.2012 , 12:21 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by tigervol View Post
What is void disturbance? Internal damage that both of you guys took that I did not take any of.
That's the swirly thingy in phase 1. They spawn periodically while you're burning the tentacles. Running into them puts a moderate DoT on you (about 900 per tick), and applies a fairly large amount of damage to the tentacle (about 2.7k per tick). This can be useful if you're having DPS problems on the tentacles. Our group's DPS are all in the 1.8k-2k range, so we generally just ignore the void disturbances.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

dominius
10.24.2012 , 12:53 AM | #27
Void Disturbance - it damages the tentacles and increases threat for the tanks. Can you avoid them? Absolutely. You can also hold threat doing as little damage as possible but why would you do that? Personally, anything that ends that boring phase 1 faster is fine by me.

Tanking on the upper platforms is clearly inferior, by hundreds of thousands of damage taken. The fact that your healers can heal you through it doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible strategy.

There is only one point during the fight where the DPS have to cross platforms 11 and 15 and it's when transitioning from the first Irregularity phase to the point where you have to kill the tentacles on the back platforms. And even then, it's only one side they can't cross so you just have one side for the DPS to cross and the other side being tanked on. Or do what we do and leave platform 17 unassigned so that once the DPS kill their Irregularity they head towards platform 17 and kill that one so all the DPS are already back there before the Irregularity phase ends.

Even the DPS assigned to kill Anomalies can just jump off those back platforms to spawn at the start point, likely getting to the Anomalies quicker anyway. Or they can pay attention to who is tanking on what side and use the other side.

So basically, the only reason I can see for you guys using the strategy that you're using is that the tanks and healers in your guild have so little faith in your DPS to pay attention that you have to use an inferior strategy to make up for their incompetence. *shrug*
Guildmaster of
Elitist Isolationists
Website | Forums | The Harbinger
Domineus || Malego || Trotsky || Ava'rus

dipstik
10.24.2012 , 12:16 PM | #28
jumping off platforms kills you now i think... at least it killed me..

i have a few questions about this fight...

1. which platforms will give tail damage?
2. how long does spit stay from the tanks dropping it?

glomeo
10.24.2012 , 01:06 PM | #29
First of all, there's been a lot of instances of insta-death bugs after a player uses the teleport trick. Yes, the teleport seems to be an intended mechanic, with a few ways to trigger it and helpful hints that you should try it. But the truth is, ultimately it causes player-killing bugs. That's an unacceptable outcome, and it makes it an unacceptable strategy.

Secondly, I don't understand this "tail damage" thing. Normally tail damage implies damage taken by the DPS if they stand behind the boss: think Karagga's exhaust pipes. To the best of my knowledge, there's no tail damage in the TFB encounter anywhere, or in SWTOR anywhere except Karagga.

For your question 1, I assume you're asking about the Monstrous Swipe. That seems to be a boss melee attack, which would apply per http://i.imgur.com/XnkOy.jpg* to platforms 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17, only if the current tank is on that platform.

For your question 2, the acid lasts about 35-45 seconds. I have never timed it, but it lasts a while longer than a complete cycle on one tank, which is 30 seconds long. The acid pools are always cleared when the boss starts an irregularity phase, after the 2nd and 4th tentacles die, but they don't appear to be cleared when the boss enters his third phase (the burn).

glomeo
10.24.2012 , 01:29 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by dominius View Post
Tanking on the upper platforms is clearly inferior, by hundreds of thousands of damage taken. The fact that your healers can heal you through it doesn't change the fact that it's a terrible strategy.
Quote:
So basically, the only reason I can see for you guys using the strategy that you're using is that the tanks and healers in your guild have so little faith in your DPS to pay attention that you have to use an inferior strategy to make up for their incompetence. *shrug*
The ad hominem attacks aren't helping your case. Terrible strategy is clearly subjective here. We're presented with a choice, and there are two wholly legitimate options for dealing with the encounter. Moreover you can, if you want, pick hybrid strats as suit your guild. The first option requires more work from healers, in order to heal the increased damage taken by tanks. The second requires more location awareness from DPS, in order to avoid taking unnecessary damage. Either one of these strats is okay, as long as you trust your healers enough to cover the predictable damage. LD50 has an amazing heal squad, who rock this encounter, without mistake or complaint. I frequently trust them with my figurative life, and they don't let us down. This buys us all the coverage we need to perform a cleaner strat with less obstruction in the middle of the arena, so why not do it?