Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pink screen of death . . .

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Serenii
10.20.2012 , 02:59 AM
When I log in, as soon as I press 'Play' I get a solid screen of colour - usually Pink but can be Yellow or Blue
As I close it down, I can see the normal screen with the character choice etc for a split second.
It's like the solid screen of colour is in front of the other screen.
I've tried repairing installation / changing firewall setting etc etc.
But this baffles me - any ideas?!?

Tirvaak
10.20.2012 , 03:12 AM Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Serenii,

This "red/pink/yellow screen" issue appears to be related to a multi-monitor setup in combination with the game running in fullscreen mode.

I would like you to try the following steps:
  • Deactivate your secondary monitor in Windows
  • Start the game
  • Change the graphics settings to Fullscreen (Windowed)
  • Close the game, re-activate your secondary monitor and restart the game

Please let me know if this workaround helps. Thanks.

Tirvaak | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

LydMekk
10.20.2012 , 03:13 AM
Pink screen of death is your graphics cards memory going bad.

Change with a new one.

Is it an old card?

Serenii
10.20.2012 , 06:29 AM
Hiya - thanks for responses.
I'm playing on a new laptop - so I don't think it's the graphic card or a secondary monitor thing . . .
I've tried a few other similar games I have - and they all work.
Um - all my characters are on Red Eclipse - I notice there seems to be an issue there - could that be linked?
PJM

Tirvaak
10.20.2012 , 07:16 AM Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Serenii,

Sorry to hear that suggestion didn't work. I have another suggestion but first I'd like to take a look at your system. Could you post a copy of your DxDiag in this thread so I can have a look.

Before you post it, please remove your PC Name from the DxDiag.

Please post the DxDiag within code tags or spoiler tags

Go to Start menu:
  1. Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
  2. Select the "Save All Information" button
  3. This will create a dxdiag.txt file(Please remove your PC Name before posting)

Thanks.

Serenii
10.20.2012 , 07:31 AM
Cheers for help here - hope this means something to you
Spoiler

Slurmez
10.20.2012 , 07:45 AM
I have heard of people resolving the red screen that 1.42 brought by deleting diskarenacache file

Tirvaak
10.20.2012 , 08:00 AM Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thank you Slurmez,

That is definitely worth a try. The Diskcachearena file can be found in the main SWTOR installation directory in a folder called"swtor". Once you launch the game again it will be recreate the file but you don't need to worry about constantly deleting it.

Another suggestion relates to your graphics card, but as it does not show on your DxDiag, I have to ask; do you have a Nvidia card in your system? It is currently only showing an integrated card but I know that your model of laptop normally has a switchable Nvidia mobile graphics card.

Thanks.

Serenii
10.20.2012 , 10:21 AM
Did the diskcache thing - thanks a lot - can now log on.
Not sure about the graphics card thing - I haven't put a new one in . . .

Tirvaak
10.20.2012 , 10:36 AM This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi Serenii,

That's great, I'm glad you able to login now. About the graphics card, the reason I was asking is because we have come across one or two players that have had this problem and by changing a setting in the Nvidia control center, they were able to stop it from happening.

Now that you have gotten it working though I don't think it will be a problem, but just so you know, if you have the Nvidia Control Center on your system then most likely there is a switchable graphics card built in to your laptop.

Anyway, have fun in game and if you need help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks.