Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Operative, Just feels, not right.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Operative, Just feels, not right.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.24.2012 , 03:33 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by inknform View Post
^THIS. I could never understand that either, especially since the IA uses a blaster pistol exclusively in the cutscenes >.>
Me as well, never did get why the bounty hunter doesn't have the blaster rifle and the IA has a blaster pistol.

then when the bounty hunter goes to merc give them access to blaster pistols so they can duel weild.

just my two credits.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Jynzal's Avatar


Jynzal
10.24.2012 , 03:33 PM | #22
Every class has some idiosyncricies. IA is no different - but I love my Operative. I hit 50, did the PvP grind to War Hero and loved it....very different from my BH and you end up approaching the game completely differently. Sure, it's not perfect, but when well played, the class is fun and incredibly deadly.
WANTED FOR CRIMES AGAINST THE REPUBLIC
Name: Jynzal (50 Mercenary)
Known Crimes: Murder, extortion, kidnapping, bribery, robbery, espionage, smuggling, sedition and four counts of Bantha shagging.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.24.2012 , 04:40 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jynzal View Post
Every class has some idiosyncricies. IA is no different - but I love my Operative. I hit 50, did the PvP grind to War Hero and loved it....very different from my BH and you end up approaching the game completely differently. Sure, it's not perfect, but when well played, the class is fun and incredibly deadly.
Oh don't get me wrong! I love my IA Operative, it just doesn't feel quite correct. I mean do you think a secret agent is going to lug a blaster rifle around. I mean now that i've hit around 25, my knife attacks are picking up and in close combat i don't feel like such a waste, but there are just things they could of done to open up different syles of play with the IA.

Take my unarmed combat. Most agents whether you believe it or not would be trained in some form of hand to hand combat. Sometimes best way to take down a target depending on if you have time and such is a quick hit to the temple or such.

Again, just feels half done. It feels like the IA was geared more to go into the sniper role and the Operative was tossed in as an afterthought. I got the same kind of feeling with the scoundrel. to me take cover is all of worthless and detracts from the class more than helps it, with stealth and such, this class should to me always be on the move and mobile.

again the astetic and feel just are off to me. but i still love my operative.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Jynzal's Avatar


Jynzal
10.25.2012 , 07:20 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Oh don't get me wrong! I love my IA Operative, it just doesn't feel quite correct. I mean do you think a secret agent is going to lug a blaster rifle around. I mean now that i've hit around 25, my knife attacks are picking up and in close combat i don't feel like such a waste, but there are just things they could of done to open up different syles of play with the IA.
True - the one area where IA seems off is the choice of weapons. The knife makes some sense due to the stealthy nature of the class....but the monster assault blaster we haul around seems...REALLY incongruous. But it's a great class - minor tweaking will keep it near the top of the SW:TOR fun charts.
WANTED FOR CRIMES AGAINST THE REPUBLIC
Name: Jynzal (50 Mercenary)
Known Crimes: Murder, extortion, kidnapping, bribery, robbery, espionage, smuggling, sedition and four counts of Bantha shagging.

warultima's Avatar


warultima
10.25.2012 , 07:46 AM | #25
A low damage spammable 4m range melee move with same damage as rifle shot (aka our current auto attack), but help us regen energy like diagnostic scan does for medicine).

So it makes a lot of sense IMO, we get our melee auto attack same damage as our ranged auto attack, sacrificing the 30m range for a small energy regen. But I doubt anything useful would happen tho. BW is too busy making F2Per limitation and buffing warriors, knights and shadowsins.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

Infalliable's Avatar


Infalliable
10.25.2012 , 08:16 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by warultima View Post
A low damage spammable 4m range melee move with same damage as rifle shot (aka our current auto attack), but help us regen energy like diagnostic scan does for medicine).

So it makes a lot of sense IMO, we get our melee auto attack same damage as our ranged auto attack, sacrificing the 30m range for a small energy regen. But I doubt anything useful would happen tho. BW is too busy making F2Per limitation and buffing warriors, knights and shadowsins.
I think something along those lines would help immensely with the early game awkwardness.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.25.2012 , 09:23 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
I think something along those lines would help immensely with the early game awkwardness.
Doesn't if feel akward from about level 11 till about 25? You have two maybe 3 knife attacks that take A LONG time to reload.

Once you get in concealment that one knife attack it's great, but then you are reliant on having Tactical Advantage to use it, and yes your primary shiv attack generates one but the cool down on that can take a while.

Some kind of knife attack that basically does the same damage as our ranged attack would greatly benefit the Operative, i don't think the sniper really needs it, they already have an amazing chain of attacks off the bat with snipe and the explosive attack off the bat.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

warultima's Avatar


warultima
10.25.2012 , 12:26 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Doesn't if feel akward from about level 11 till about 25? You have two maybe 3 knife attacks that take A LONG time to reload.

Once you get in concealment that one knife attack it's great, but then you are reliant on having Tactical Advantage to use it, and yes your primary shiv attack generates one but the cool down on that can take a while.

Some kind of knife attack that basically does the same damage as our ranged attack would greatly benefit the Operative, i don't think the sniper really needs it, they already have an amazing chain of attacks off the bat with snipe and the explosive attack off the bat.
Isnt that exactly what I said in my post?
A spammable melee attack that does the same damage as rifle shot?
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.25.2012 , 03:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by warultima View Post
Isnt that exactly what I said in my post?
A spammable melee attack that does the same damage as rifle shot?
I was basically re-iterating and agreeing with you.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Karadinx's Avatar


Karadinx
10.25.2012 , 05:57 PM | #30
Personally I think that it depends on how you build your operative depends on how fluid the combat is. Personally I went the healer rout and I agree that your personal damage routine is a little wonky because of the lack of attacks, you have to realize that since you spec into healing you are going to face that. Looking at the other trees it seems like they have more than enough poison/knife attacks to make up the difference if you were to go that direction instead of being a healer.