Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Operative, Just feels, not right.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Operative, Just feels, not right.

Infalliable's Avatar


Infalliable
10.22.2012 , 08:42 AM | #11
I always though operatives were very clunky early on, especially before L20. I'd alway been turned off by this when I tried leveling in beta and earlier on. Now I'm working on passing through the awkward stage.

You don't have enough knife attacks to be a real melee character, so you need to alternate blaster & knife attacks. You can even use cover attacks b/c you don't have anything else worth using. It feels weird to mix all these from a thematic standpoint.

You also can't generate TA as a healer all that easily, so you have only 2 practical heals.

This does seem to change as you level though, with L20 as the point things start to gel.


Snipers on the other hand are much more coherent in their rotations/theme from the start. You know immediately what the class is all about. It's all ranged attacks from cover with some anti-melee crowd controls.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.22.2012 , 09:56 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
I always though operatives were very clunky early on, especially before L20. I'd alway been turned off by this when I tried leveling in beta and earlier on. Now I'm working on passing through the awkward stage.

You don't have enough knife attacks to be a real melee character, so you need to alternate blaster & knife attacks. You can even use cover attacks b/c you don't have anything else worth using. It feels weird to mix all these from a thematic standpoint.

You also can't generate TA as a healer all that easily, so you have only 2 practical heals.

This does seem to change as you level though, with L20 as the point things start to gel.


Snipers on the other hand are much more coherent in their rotations/theme from the start. You know immediately what the class is all about. It's all ranged attacks from cover with some anti-melee crowd controls.
I guess i hadn't gotten far enough, i'm only up to level 24 and ^ this nailed it right on the head. You kinda get stuck with Rush in, hit with 3 knife attacks, then use your 2 heals for a while waiting for your strong knife attacks to cycle through.

I guess once you hit higher levels you start getting a good chain going, just once you become an operative, taking cover for me, becomes almost worthless. why i was asking for instead of taking cover, you go into a something of a martial arts stance and you have access to things that replace sticky bomb and snipe, make the operative feel more fluid.

I personally think that's what missing for the operative at levels say 10-about 25 or so, that fluid feeling.

I mean look at the vanguard and Commando, their skills mesh, as does most other classes, but the smuggler and agent their two classes, only one class benefits from take cover, the scoundrel and agent kinda get left in the breeze.

I guess that's why i lean towards if you pick agent or scoundrel, you lose take cover and you get something else that makes up for it. I mean look how agents really attack. Or atleast I do. I go in stealth i hit the defib attack first to stun and go into my knife array of attacks, but once the chain is done...it's like..ok now what?

I can drop back and heal, or i can go into my gun attacks i guess but again doesn't seem fluid. If you are already up close and personal with the shiv attacks you don't back off to use your gun, you keep up close and personal and keep attacking, and that is what is missing for the operative.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Anysao's Avatar


Anysao
10.22.2012 , 10:01 AM | #13
I guess the operative just isn't the class for you. No offense, but it happens. Can't expect to love every class.

Personally, I love my operative. He's lethality, so I get melee, ranged, and healing. Do NOT remove my snipe. It's my best friend.

Of course, if you're looking for pure melee, try knight/warrior?
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.22.2012 , 12:23 PM | #14
I like the Operative, I have played every spec thoroughly, but still, they could do a lot to make the class feel more solid in its role. They're mostly solid as healers, but if you were to put a group together from scratch, I can't think of any reason to be like, "we really need a dps Operative!". I'd probably say the same of a dps Powertech as well, though.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.22.2012 , 03:53 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
I guess the operative just isn't the class for you. No offense, but it happens. Can't expect to love every class.

Personally, I love my operative. He's lethality, so I get melee, ranged, and healing. Do NOT remove my snipe. It's my best friend.

Of course, if you're looking for pure melee, try knight/warrior?
naa, what i am more driving at maybe not melee combat, but i don't think IMO that take cover really helps the operative. I mean i guess you can take cover and throw out heals, but i like being mobile in my operative, and i think you just need more skills so the operative can STAY mobile better. Just feels like the operative should always be on the move and snipe and the sticky grenade just feels like it has no use for me as an operative.

Who knows maybe the choice of having snipe or have it replaced with something else. Don't get me wrong not hate the operative or don't like playing it, it just feels to me half done, like there could be so much more done with it.

I mean the operative could open up open handed martial arts which is one combat style i feel missing out of the SW universe. I mean in KOTOR II the jedi could have equipment to help unarmed damage and his unarmed fighiting damage did go up, but it felt undone.

Hell with the operative you could open up a whole chain of attacks that could be done unarmed. Give them echani unarmed fighting style and instead of taking cover, you put your rifle away and you can launch into shiv or unarmed attacks that could put the operative more into it's own.

just trying to find more of a niche for it to where you can heal, or be the super secrete agent, hit with a few shiv attacks then launch into a bunch of punches and kicks that could do some real damage. I mean if you look you do get some legacy unarmed attacks, but you can't use 2/3 of your skills when you are unarmed. I just want something a little more like those unarmed attacks but if i choose to i can still use my healing skills and shiv attacks.

Just me and my ideas i guess.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

CryoftheCarrots's Avatar


CryoftheCarrots
10.22.2012 , 10:51 PM | #16
I play a concealment operative and I can tell you right now that it gets way smoother with your knife attacks as you get to higher levels. I remember it being very frustrating at early levels you are right about that. You have to learn to work your tactical advantages to your favor to keep knife attacks rolling in. When you say sticky grenade I assume you're talking about the explosive probe, it does nothing until the next attack hits that target everytime you use a flash bang you should be using that explosive probe, or in pvp when someone is running away I find it handy. As for removing the rifle that can't work without getting some form of gap closer. A no energy 30m ranged attack is the only thing that keeps me in the fight sometimes when people are running away using force jumps and what nots.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.23.2012 , 08:59 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CryoftheCarrots View Post
I play a concealment operative and I can tell you right now that it gets way smoother with your knife attacks as you get to higher levels. I remember it being very frustrating at early levels you are right about that. You have to learn to work your tactical advantages to your favor to keep knife attacks rolling in. When you say sticky grenade I assume you're talking about the explosive probe, it does nothing until the next attack hits that target everytime you use a flash bang you should be using that explosive probe, or in pvp when someone is running away I find it handy. As for removing the rifle that can't work without getting some form of gap closer. A no energy 30m ranged attack is the only thing that keeps me in the fight sometimes when people are running away using force jumps and what nots.
I guess for pvping what you are saying is true, but what i was talking about is know how you have that different bar when you "Take cover" My idea was to take out take cover for the operative, since for me it kills the mobility of the class anyways, and have it to be a martial arts stance you can turn on and off at will like take cover.

That way if you get into an up closer and personal, you have different choices for fighting at range or up close.
I hope that cleared it up some.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Ardim's Avatar


Ardim
10.23.2012 , 10:30 PM | #18
Personally, I think the Operative should get a pistol as a weapon for blaster attacks. Gives a more Secret Agent-like feeling. I'm a stealth fighter, so why the heck am I lugging around a giant blaster rifle!?
The Alabaster Legacy
Server: Jedi Covenant
Isaac: Sith Marauder Aerios: Powertech Avran: Sniper

Griad's Avatar


Griad
10.24.2012 , 07:52 AM | #19
I love my lethality spec op, and calling me useless..?? well if pulling 1400-1500 dps in a boss fight is useless in not even fully augmentet and optimized gear, then fair enough and the ability to quickly use cover and use the explosive probe, then move on is awesome. But then again thats just my opinion
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse

inknform's Avatar


inknform
10.24.2012 , 09:55 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Personally, I think the Operative should get a pistol as a weapon for blaster attacks. Gives a more Secret Agent-like feeling. I'm a stealth fighter, so why the heck am I lugging around a giant blaster rifle!?
^THIS. I could never understand that either, especially since the IA uses a blaster pistol exclusively in the cutscenes >.>