Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Operative, Just feels, not right.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The Operative, Just feels, not right.

TalonVII
10.19.2012 , 09:56 PM | #1
I've been rolling an Operative and don't get me wrong, so far story is awesome, and i like the heals. Where I have a problem is that you are reliant on the blaster rifle equipped to do things like heal. This is slowly ruining the fun with combat with my operative.

Honestly I want to feel a tad more like james bond with the operative, able to go hand to hand when i need to, but still able to grab my blaster and fire. Don't get me wrong, i love the shive attacks and the stealth, but once those are gone, you're just like 'well shoot what the hell do i do next?!"

I have a few possible ideas to change this to make the Operative feel more fluid and organic.

1. When you become an operative, you lose all the take cover skills and instead get un-armed combat, so snipe and the grenade go bye bye. Instead you get a quick spool down [like 2-3 second] lower damage shiv attack, or unarmed attack much like the legacy punching attacks. Except they can be upgraded by levels with appropriate damage. So in this set up, instead of ducking for cover you, put away your rifle and go into hand to hand combat much like bond.

2. Allow operatives to have more shiv attacks, or another attack that again does low damage but you can have a spam shiv attack instead of just your rifle one. Just to make it when you are in close combat make it again feel more fluid and organic. I mean lets face it, if you have a shiv[knife] in close combat and a rifle, what the hell are you going to use, the KNIFE!

I am sorta out of ideas at this point but again, just something to make the operative feel a bit more like a well trained operative would really fight.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

chuixupu
10.20.2012 , 01:22 AM | #2
I do agree that some further seperation/specialization between the two AC's would be a good thing.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Valentuhr
10.20.2012 , 01:53 AM | #3
Not a bad idea at all. Nevertheless, I rolled as a sniper so enjoy your healing abilities if anything!

TalonVII
10.20.2012 , 09:50 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Valentuhr View Post
Not a bad idea at all. Nevertheless, I rolled as a sniper so enjoy your healing abilities if anything!

Oh i am. don't get me wrong, kinda nice to back off sometimes heal myself and just sit there letting my companion tank while i keep them alive. Just wish i had some better hand to hand combat stuff instead of just a few awesome shiv attacks then just stuck with a rifle feeling like a quasi trooper.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Kiaxn
10.20.2012 , 11:24 AM | #5
I went sniper because tbh i despise operative, Hack op in pvp (easy mode), 100% usless in raids, Too many ppl play them as heals in PvE and ahve no idea how to heal properly therefore ive only seen ONE op healer taht can keep up with a merc and sorc. Sniper ftw in my view.

chuixupu
10.20.2012 , 12:26 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiaxn View Post
I went sniper because tbh i despise operative, Hack op in pvp (easy mode), 100% usless in raids, Too many ppl play them as heals in PvE and ahve no idea how to heal properly therefore ive only seen ONE op healer taht can keep up with a merc and sorc. Sniper ftw in my view.
Wow, I have no idea where you play but this is so opposite of the truth I've experienced, and I have an operative, merc, and sniper. Don't blame people's lack of being able to play their class on the class itself.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

TalonVII
10.20.2012 , 01:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiaxn View Post
Only reason i chose an Operative cause i already have a gunslinger, so i went the opposite on the Imperial side.

Honestly i see more snipers than i do Operatives on Ebon Hawk server.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Syberduh
10.20.2012 , 05:50 PM | #8
Cover is one of the few mechanics that dps operatives can use to mitigate their extreme disadvantage in huttball since it prevents juggs/marauders from leaping to you.

Shiv, backstab, lacerate, debilitate, and sever tendon aren't enough knife attacks for you? Explosive prove, flashbang, corrosive dart are also rather secret-agenty skills imo.
Ushanev Syberjugg<Illegal Test Kitchen>
Because chicks dig orange overcoats and guys who don't die.
And streams. Chicks totally dig streams. I mean, right guys? They do, right?

TalonVII
10.20.2012 , 07:00 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Syberduh View Post
Cover is one of the few mechanics that dps operatives can use to mitigate their extreme disadvantage in huttball since it prevents juggs/marauders from leaping to you.

Shiv, backstab, lacerate, debilitate, and sever tendon aren't enough knife attacks for you? Explosive prove, flashbang, corrosive dart are also rather secret-agenty skills imo.
yeah i guess, i just wish they had a quick low damage fast refresh shiv attack instead of i burn through all that and all i got is that rifle...
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

KEKHAN
10.21.2012 , 09:18 AM | #10
Yeah I agree, I have skills at my trainer for sniping and cover that I just never use so havn't upgraded to them. It's like 'oh yeah these sniper skills are usless to you as a concealment operative but it's all we can be bothered to give you, oh and once you go past 34 there's no skills worth upgrading to until you hit 46+ too... sorry"