Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help please!

Atreous
10.19.2012 , 05:41 PM | #1
I have been reading the forums and even asked in general chat. I just started an Assassin and I want to do well in DPS in PVP. I have been getting all sorts of different responses. Someone suggested all Darkness. One suggested hybrid. I am all sorts of confused. Can I please get a little help?

1) What is the best tree or hybrid combo for PVP DPS?

2) Is gear the deciding factor and tree doesn't matter?

I appreciate any help and thank you.

Xethis
10.20.2012 , 11:45 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Atreous View Post
I have been reading the forums and even asked in general chat. I just started an Assassin and I want to do well in DPS in PVP. I have been getting all sorts of different responses. Someone suggested all Darkness. One suggested hybrid. I am all sorts of confused. Can I please get a little help?

1) What is the best tree or hybrid combo for PVP DPS?

2) Is gear the deciding factor and tree doesn't matter?

I appreciate any help and thank you.
Gear is huge for pvp. So no matter what in the beginning you will be squashed routinely by everyone even healers. Your questions are not as simple as you think so I will try to answer them best I can with out writing a book. This is objective based pvp so just wanting to maximize dps is not ideal. In the way these war zones are set up the team that lives is the team that usually wins. The game for Assassins is to try to find as much defense and utility as possible with out sacrificing too much dps. It is very challenging to find the best of both worlds.

Darkness is great because of the survivability and the utility that it offers. Wither with an aoe snare and debuff is nice, you get Force Pull and your sprints break snares and roots so you are always on the move. Now of the three trees Darkness does offer the least dps but it is a fair trade off for how survivable you are. With 3 stacks of HD your Force Lightning is your bread and butter for dps, only problem is that you have to wait for your 3 stacks and other than Force pull you lack a real ranged interrupt for caps and doors. Hutball is your game however. You will excel at ball carrying and stopping their ball carrier. This game will be very fun for you setting people up in fire traps and pulling/knocking them off of ledges.

Madness is very much more dps orientated and sacrifices quite a bit of survivability. Your dots do give back pretty good healing to make up for your lack of defense and the pressure you put on healers is unrivaled. The best utility offered by this spec is an instant cast whirlwind which is a win every time you use it, and Death Field. DF is great for stopping multiple people on a cap from very good range. Not only do you have quite a bit of sustained dps with your dots, you can also be very bursty taking advantage of some Exploit Weakness and Raze procs. This is also the most challenging spec to play, you have to keep your dots up, keep Unearthed Knowledge and Death Marks up, at the same time watching for your EW and Raze procs. Takes a bit of practice.

Deception as you know has had some pretty good changes recently to give this spec a significant buff to pvp. It has always had the best burst potential with 4 different abilities hitting for over 5k. Shock/Chain Shock has combined for 7k dmg for me, my Mauls are hitting for 6k consistently. Discharge is good for 4k-5k depending on your Static Charges and Assassinate is always good for 5k damage. This is also a very easy spec to play, all you have to do is have 2 stacks of Induction up via Voltaic Slash and watch for your Exploit Weakness procs. The only utility offered by this spec is your damage. There are no unique abilities that you can bring to the table to help your team other than your damage. Take advantage of your defensive talents and you will find you will always be in the fight. Your Black Out skill is now one of your favorites as it offers 50% damage mitigation as well as 50% force regen. This is what is going to make or break you in pvp.

Hybrids, there are several hybrids being used and being very successful in pvp. There are two main hybrids from the Darkness tree. Either Darkness/Deception or Darkness/Madness. 23-15-3 (Dark Maul) or 23-1-17. 23-15-3 is basically using the defense and utility out of the Darkness tree while taking advantage of some hard hitting Mauls. During your Dark Embrace buff you can Maul spam for some of the best dps potential the Assassin can offer. But when your Dark Embrace is down your dps will be way down. Either force starved trying to Maul all the time, or just getting by with Thrash/Shock spam with mediocre results. 23-1-17 offers the best utility the Assassin has taking advantage of both Force Pull and instant cast Whirlwinds. You also have Death Field to stop caps from range. The dps in this hybrid is very simple again but pretty affective. You are still Thrash/Shock spamming but your Thrash is buffed by Claws of Decay and your Shocks are buffed by Chain Shock and your filling with Maul on your EW procs.

My personal favorite hybrid is the Arika or Mad Maul (0-14-28). With this spec you are taking advantage of the sustained damage and utility from the Madness tree but this time your Mauls are hitting extremely hard via Unearthed Knowledge and Induction. And just like with Deception the new Darkswell talent is a key talent giving this hybrid the staying power to get the crit train rolling.

/sigh, I wrote a book. Sorry I still tend to ramble on despite all my efforts to keep it short.

nosmos
10.20.2012 , 01:06 PM | #3
I started using my Assassin again when 1.4 came out - and therefore started pvp'n again. I am now all BM with a couple warhero - aug'd, and I can usually drop people in and around 10 seconds or less - or at least get them below 30 percent health. Using deception, of course.
55 Assassin - 55 Sorc - 55 Jug - 55 Marauder - 55 Sniper
55 Operative - 55 merc - 55 Powertech

Atreous
10.20.2012 , 02:22 PM | #4
Xethis thank you for that. I appreciate it. I now have a better understanding and can make a better decision. Thanks again!