Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crash to Deskop any updates yet?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dvrocc
10.19.2012 , 03:00 PM | #1
Since 1.4 nothing but crash to desktop so was wondering if there is any input yet to what the cause is? maybe you all should start a "sticky" up top of the forum requesting dxdiag reports and any other info you can think of from the folks crashing, this will help you all narrow it down faster since you will have a vast amount of info.

I myself know when I am close to crashing to the dekstop because my......

sound will start stuttering missing random sounds & cutting out all together for a second or two till crash.

quest movies will have long delays when selecting a response before the NPCs continue talking.

after leaving movies, phases or flashpoints random hitching/stuttering with movement and camera.

6+ second delay when selecting a vendor before the vendors window opens up.

very very long delays heading into or out of your own ship the loading screen sounds stop all together.

when the crash to desktop happens there is little warning other then what I mention above, and if you bring up the task manager you will find that swtor.exe is totaly gone from the list, its like the game just cleans up after it self there is no indication it was running.

Beesodd
10.19.2012 , 03:33 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi dvrocc,

When the game crashes, is it after a set amount of time, or do the symptoms below appear randomly? Do you use temperature monitoring software, and if so, does your computer appear to be running hot as this happens?

Also, could you please post up the crash report, it may help. You can do so by taking the steps below:
  • Open your Start menu and type "View Reliability History" into the search box.
  • Select the most recent SWTOR.exe failure denoted with a red circle with a white X in the middle.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
  • Copy the full description to the clipboard and paste this in to your reply.
Thanks.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Tenenial
10.19.2012 , 04:53 PM | #3
Ok so since 1.4 i have crashed over 75 times and here are the two scenarios that take place before crashes.
First If i get on one toon and have plans to log back and forth between my several toons to craft and re for mats I have around 15 to 20 mins of play time The last few mins of that play time goes like this I log back into character X craft for 3 min then log to character Y to craft and re When character Y logs in the load screen clears and a few seconds later sound stutter, crash. When i log back in the screen is still on character X like i had never logged into character Y
Error reason: Timed out
Second scenario is If i log into one character and stay on that character for an extended amount of time i get around 1 hour play time before it will crash and its always after i load a new zone.
Error reason: Timed out
So it does seem to me as if some kind of memory thing is going on and it can only hold so much information before it crashes to the desktop
I have made no changes to my system since patch 1.4 except one or two of the suggestions that have been made
Not sure what else to do but i hope this gets to someone that can make some sense out of it.

Beesodd
10.19.2012 , 04:57 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thanks for the further information, Tenenial.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Jmenks
10.19.2012 , 05:00 PM | #5
does anyone know if switching to 64bit insead of 32 worked with the crashing??
I'm Confused
Saber of Exar Kun

mdawson
10.19.2012 , 09:08 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi dvrocc,

When the game crashes, is it after a set amount of time, or do the symptoms below appear randomly? Do you use temperature monitoring software, and if so, does your computer appear to be running hot as this happens?

Also, could you please post up the crash report, it may help. You can do so by taking the steps below:
  • Open your Start menu and type "View Reliability History" into the search box.
  • Select the most recent SWTOR.exe failure denoted with a red circle with a white X in the middle.
  • Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.
  • Copy the full description to the clipboard and paste this in to your reply.
Thanks.
Here's what happened when I crashed. I had just clicked on a shuttle to take me back to my ship from Taris. Only a reboot of the system got me working again.

Source
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎10/‎16/‎2012 9:23 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swtor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 50772e59
Fault Module Name: MemoryMan.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 507729b3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00005883
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3201077237

mdawson
10.19.2012 , 09:21 PM | #7
There was actually two items listed for my single crash to the desktop. Here is the 2nd one.

Source
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎10/‎16/‎2012 9:23 AM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swtor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 50772e59
Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.6161
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dace5b9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003734d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a7aa
Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
Additional Information 3: a7aa
Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3201077280

Beesodd
10.19.2012 , 09:33 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thank you, mdawson.

Can you please try running the game and launcher in Windows XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility Mode, and see if the issue persists?

If it does, can you please create a ticket by emailing support@swtor.com, and with it please include your Launcherdiag file. This can be obtained by running the launcherdiag.exe that is in the SWTOR directory. This will create a .tgz file, which can be attached to the aforementioned mail. This .tgz file will contain system information which will help investigation.

Also, please double check that you have all available updates for your windows (including .NET framework and Visual C++ features). Also, can you please run a fresh copy of the setup file over your existing install. This is a quick process and will help check the integrity of the game install.

Thanks again.

mdawson
10.19.2012 , 09:38 PM | #9
The issue isn't persisting. It has happened only once and that was 3 days ago. I've been playing fine since then, excepting the normal lag.

mdawson
10.19.2012 , 09:42 PM | #10
I forgot to mention that I did repair the installation after I got back up and running.