Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The future of SWTOR, and what I think needs to happen with end game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The future of SWTOR, and what I think needs to happen with end game

Karasuko
10.25.2012 , 08:14 AM | #21
I think you're onto something OP but like somone has already said now is not the time to ve implementing it.
But theres two other things that need to be happening before we even look at removing incentivised loot.

1. Dynamic hardmodes and the removal of Sm/HM/NiM. Taking the ulduar model as an example 1 instance, multiple levels of difficulty. Ulduar ranged from simple (FL,Razor) to medium difficulty(most of the normal modes) to challenging (yogg and a few of the easier HM's) to "*** am I doing in here (Algalon,yogg +1,+0)

2. More bosses. 5 bosses at release, 5 a few months later, 5 a few months after that and then finally TFB is frankly just not enough. While I consider the fights reasonable quality the difficulty of HM/NiM just didn't last.
Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed alot of the fights and each one was pretty different but there just was not enough to keep raiding guilds going.

Just to reiterate, I really like the idea of unique rewards for killing raid bosses, they do keep people going back and that is what this game lacks is longevity. Using my guild as an example it took us 5 weeks to fully gear out our raid in 61's, if there had been something cool or noteworthy (aside from the one panther skin and speeder we saw) there was no incentive for my guildies to log on after that.

Spatology
10.26.2012 , 12:40 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by RageFury View Post
Here's a mental test to take to tell the difference between real content, and just garbage. Take away the loot. No reward at the end. Would you ever do it again more than once or twice, ever? (MAYBE 3 times?) No? Then it's not content, it's just filler garbage. Virtually every boss encounter in WoW, ever, fits into that; and most bosses in SWTOR, too.

End game PvE needs to be designed as if there are no rewards; THAT is the key to longevity. WoW's a fluke. They came into the MMO scene at the right time with the right product, and it caught on fire in terms of popularity. Every other WoW-esque MMO as far as end game goes has been a tiny drop in the bucket, and virtually all have lost money, because it's not sustainable. WoW gets away with it, no one else will ever be able to again.
Games of this type require a much more inventive and engageing combat system. I have not played a game ever in my life that i enjoyed the combat enough to just go kill stuff without a reward. Sorry. Half the fun of kiling mobs is getting uber lewts to come back and own the mob that gave you trouble before.

anstalt
10.26.2012 , 03:05 AM | #23
No matter what game or what the content is, players will always fall in to three categories:

1) Fall in love with the content/mechanics and repeat it ad nausium
2) Hate the content and never play it again
3) Like it, play it a few times, then move on

Most players, no matter what the content is, fall in to category 3. We enjoy the content but after a few repeats we stop enjoying it and move on. Thats just the way it is. Its human nature.

Providing a strong motivation to repeat content is the key to longevity. In most MMOs, that motivation is gear because people love to see their characters progressing and becoming more powerful. Its addictive. So, whilst I agree there could be other motivations provided for repeating content, loot is one of the easiest and most powerful motivations for repetition once the content has become boring.

My personal opinion on what needs to happen with endgame is move from vertical gear progression (tiered) to horizontal gear progression (comparable incomparables) combined with rare loot drops. There is basically no character customisation in this game when it comes to stats: there is BiS and thats it. We need multiple different ways to build our toon, multiple gear sets that we can customise and use for different fights. We need to remove the tiered nature of gear so that old content stops becoming obsolete so quickly.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

xxIncubixx
10.26.2012 , 03:29 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
If you all think taking away loot progression in Ops and PvP is the saving grace of this game, you've all lost your minds. It'd be the complete oppposite because there'd be no reason to pvp or raid. Therefore, the game would be worse off than it is.
this.

Raideag
10.26.2012 , 03:54 AM | #25
I'm going to say they need to start adapting to the idea of having staged content! Instead of just giving everything to the players as soon as it hit's the live servers. They need to make the community work together to unlock stuff.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFcEW5nyGI&
The Wampas Legacy - lvl 50 - Jedi Covenant
Genla (50) Ossktini (50) Aldius (50) Dodman (50) Senturi (50) Maffis (50)
Raideag (50) Osskto (50)