Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The need for a clone army....

Kholvan
12.20.2011 , 01:55 PM | #21
You're forgetting that the army wasn't made for the good of the Republic, it was made for the good of Palpatine.

What Palpatine needed was to scare the Senate into giving him emergency powers, and then to legalize an army. You can't conscript a galactic force without word getting out - but you can create a secret clone army.

Thus when the army is finally legal, you can immediately demonstrate the effectiveness of putting you in charge - without taking a year of losses (which you then have to explain to the Senate) while the army is being raised.

And, of course, you know Jango-clones are going to be OK with killing Jedi, whereas regular soldiers might stop to consider the legitimacy of the order.

Stuntie
12.20.2011 , 02:13 PM | #22
Time.

The Droid army was ready and on the march, with reinforcements pouring off the assembly line.

The Republic had small planetary militia, but nothing like a standing army.

Even a small volunteer force would have needed months of training and equipping, if not a year or two for the big items like Star Destroyers.
time the Republic did not have. By the time they were ready the Droids would have been on Corusant and in control.
But they were gifted the Clones - a pre made army to match the droids, and ready when needed.

Ideally they should have been supplimented with a newly raised non-clone army of the Republic. But funding, and politcal manipulation would no doubt have blocked that. Not only Sith scheming, but politicians fear of sending their own to way when handy clones could be sent instead.
Cheers
Stuntie.
:

Damarog
12.20.2011 , 08:56 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by thesupermanj View Post
Yes, he knows that. He is refering to Episode IV aka Star Wars before the whole story was put together, the Clone Wars was mentioned and Darth Vader was not Luke's father.
And Luke was originally supposed to be a chick. Saw it on some documentary a while back, they even had concept art I believe.
I loved Episode 1 and Qui Gon is the best Jedi ever.

TJkillyou
12.20.2011 , 09:04 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Believeit View Post
I cannot figure out why the empire needed a clone army. Seems a little overkill considering how many people they could effectively conscript throughout the galaxy...
the empire wonted to be able to take an enemy out
for the republic

ToEasy
12.20.2011 , 09:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Believeit View Post
I cannot figure out why the empire needed a clone army. Seems a little overkill considering how many people they could effectively conscript throughout the galaxy...
Palpatine and order 66 is the answer.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Bielduwyn
12.20.2011 , 10:18 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Stuntie View Post
The Republic had small planetary militia, but nothing like a standing army.
And that my friends, is plot convenience.

Quote:
Even a small volunteer force would have needed months of training and equipping, if not a year or two for the big items like Star Destroyers.
time the Republic did not have. By the time they were ready the Droids would have been on Corusant and in control.
But they were gifted the Clones - a pre made army to match the droids, and ready when needed.
Problem there is that the Republic started the war. Yoda single handedly declared war on the Separatists by flying in several dropships of Clone Troopers and then has the moxy to act like he regrets the advent of war later on. (Note: This is not how Yoda should act, Lucas can't even get Yoda right)

So basically, if Yoda had practiced what he preached, and let Anakin and Obi-Wan fend for themselves on Geonosis even if it might have led to their deaths, which it wouldn't have since they need to be in Episode IV, then the war wouldn't have started there and then there would've been more time to scrounge up an army, which shouldn't be that hard given that most of the thousands of systems in the Republic must have at least some sort of planetary guard and navy on standby.

But then, the very premise of the Clone Wars makes no sense to begin with, so even trying to rationalise what is going on is just an exercise in futility.

Believeit
12.21.2011 , 12:53 PM | #27
So, having read all of this, I understand that the need for a clone army was primarily Order 66. This is understandable. So, my next question is, do they continue with the clone productions? Are storm troopers clones?

JonahGrimm
12.21.2011 , 02:12 PM | #28
... for the fun of it, I'd propose that Palpatine needed his second sock puppet (the first being the droid army) to be trustworthy to the Jedi.

Clones work better than droids for that - droids don't have personalities. Clones do. You can be friends with clones, you can fight with them, share meals with them, bond with them as human beings. And so, the Jedi - who didn't initially trust them - came to believe in them as people and rely on them as friends.

That's the key - the trick Palpatine plays: he creates an army of living, breathing troopers, then hides them behind masks to that they can become symbols. Heroes of the Republic. It all cleverly masks the fact that they're really just droids in a form the Jedi will come to accept, and they're utterly loyal to him.

Seriously, such /wasted/ potential in these stories.

Bielduwyn
12.21.2011 , 02:37 PM | #29
The sad thing is that the Clone Wars as Lucas portrayed them in the prequels was that they were a war without effect. It didn't affect the lives of anyone in the Republic aside from the Jedi (and arguably the clones), Joe Average on Coruscant didn't feel anything of the war, life just went on as usual for him.

I always figured that the clones were the bad guys in the Clone Wars, and that as such the Jedi and millions of conscripted and/or volunteering troops had to go to war, weakening the Republic and its economy as it dragged on and thus facilitating Palpatine's takeover.

But that was clearly too logical for Lucas who instead had to show off his computers could render a thousand robots AND a thousand troopers.

DuchessOfDork
12.21.2011 , 02:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by bielduwyn View Post
but that was clearly too logical for lucas who instead had to show off his computers could render a thousand robots and a thousand troopers.
amen..