Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The need for a clone army....

Believeit
12.19.2011 , 05:56 PM | #1
I cannot figure out why the empire needed a clone army. Seems a little overkill considering how many people they could effectively conscript throughout the galaxy...

DuchessOfDork
12.19.2011 , 05:58 PM | #2
Trying to figure out the plot behind the prequils is like trying to figure out why George Lucas tried to name Yoda Buffy.

The answer: Brain parasite.

Geladius
12.19.2011 , 09:20 PM | #3
Before there was the Empire remember it was the Republic. It was a group of governments with a chosen leader to act as a guide. Planets only had armies to defend themselves, but were not organized or equipped to put up a offensive on the droid army. After all they could just pump out countless numbers of droids.

After the clone wars though they severely reduced the number of clones made after Kamino tried to turn on the Empire with their own clones. So the Empire did opt for drafting, volunteering, etc.

Wolfninjajedi
12.19.2011 , 09:32 PM | #4
So you'd rather spend a ton of money, training, equipping a bunch of regular guys then get soliders who are bred for war and follow orders without question?(Least the reg clones do that.) There was a need for a clone army, because almost all of them followed every order to the letter(save for a few select) which is somewhat bad/good because you have loyal soldiers(which is what Palpatine wanted). However they cannot question their orders from good or bad.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Baitling
12.19.2011 , 10:34 PM | #5
Well, with conscripts, you get a wide variety in terms of physical size, abilities, intelligence, aggression, etc, etc, etc.

A clone army pretty much guarantees uniformity in these areas. Couple that with the "Soldier" (good movie, look it up) type brainwashing teaching, and you get a near robotic army, only with more versatility.

Wolfninjajedi
12.19.2011 , 10:40 PM | #6
I do have to agree with the OP somewhat though...I mean I would rather have 10 Rebellion specforce members then 10 clone troopers just because the specforce wouldn't betray me because of some order.

MadDutchman
12.19.2011 , 10:50 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I do have to agree with the OP somewhat though...I mean I would rather have 10 Rebellion specforce members then 10 clone troopers just because the specforce wouldn't betray me because of some order.
True in a sense, though there is now nothing stopping them from betraying you for money or power or whatever.

Pros and cons to both I guess.

However, the Empire used clones mainly as leftovers from the republic, with the betrayal of Kamino they lost their source and the second/third generation jango clones weren't as good anyway. The Imperial Army was entirely non-clone and the stormtroopers were mixed, fewer and fewer clones over time

BrandonSM
12.19.2011 , 10:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Believeit View Post
I cannot figure out why the empire needed a clone army. Seems a little overkill considering how many people they could effectively conscript throughout the galaxy...
Because they were losing greatly...
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Wolfninjajedi
12.19.2011 , 10:53 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
True in a sense, though there is now nothing stopping them from betraying you for money or power or whatever.

Pros and cons to both I guess.

However, the Empire used clones mainly as leftovers from the republic, with the betrayal of Kamino they lost their source and the second/third generation jango clones weren't as good anyway. The Imperial Army was entirely non-clone and the stormtroopers were mixed, fewer and fewer clones over time
While true, it wouldn't happen right away like Order 66 would they would actually need to think about it.

zumbledum
12.20.2011 , 06:45 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Believeit View Post
the empire needed the droid army to cause enough panic and fear to do a 9/11 and sweep away rights get themselves absolute power and overturn democracy.

the clone army was required to first hold that at bay so it was only fear not reality, second they could be controlled and used to mass assasinate the whole jedi order simultaeneously.

lastly they would be required to sweep away the droid army and used to crush his former allies who are now the republic is dealt with the only things strong enough to threaten him.

the conscri[ts would of struggled to beat the droids and couldnt of been manipulated to assasinate all the jedi. and besides ebtter to have them at thier jobs making more weapons/tools/food whatever.