Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

scullzomben
10.17.2012 , 01:33 PM | #1
As title asks, will we?

A few other F2P games allow this. Some call it a grind fest, but it is a 100% optional grind fest. Things that could earn Coins

*Completing both world and bonus series quests
*Killing ALL champions on the planet, including World Boss
*Killing X/Y/Z of certain creature on a planet
*Full map exploration of a planet
*Etc

Of course these wouldn't have to be huge rewards. I can't really say "Only about 5-20" or "100 minimum" because we don't know the value of coins relative to the items on offer in the store, but these rewards should be kept low.

Anyway, would love to hear from a Dev on this issue. And please, your whole "HAH! EA giving away money for free" thing isn't funny anymore. New material yo.

Maviarab
10.18.2012 , 04:41 AM | #2
Dev's have already stated that there will be NO way to obtain coins/tokens in-game...

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. Do EA even know what a F2P MMO looks like I wonder? And why they are successful?

amnie
10.18.2012 , 04:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Maviarab View Post
Dev's have already stated that there will be NO way to obtain coins/tokens in-game...

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. Do EA even know what a F2P MMO looks like I wonder? And why they are successful?
all I know is that I think it's extremely stupid on their part to blatantly copy the lotro-model but make it worse.
in lotro even the subscriber do the farming you do for getting turbine poins and they spend them en masse too. lotro has an 'in-between' model for people who used to be subscriber but stopped paying for a bit, too.

I still have hope that this is just a 'first test' and the f2p model will be adjusted according to it.

MajikMyst
10.18.2012 , 05:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Maviarab View Post

Well.. People need to understand is that F2P isn't really free.. You pay for it else where.. That is the way of things.. Name one major MMO game that is 100% free?? There isn't one.. This is why so many people are against F2P.. Those that are all for it, really don't understand it..

There is nothing wrong with the restrictions.. And people will be able to pay for the parts of the game they wish to play.. That means they won't have to pay for the parts they don't want..

If you don't want any restrictions, then stay a subscriber..

This is a business and EA and Bioware are out to make money.. The sooner people realise that the better..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

amnie
10.18.2012 , 05:39 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
Well.. People need to understand is that F2P isn't really free.. You pay for it else where.. That is the way of things.. Name one major MMO game that is 100% free?? There isn't one.. This is why so many people are against F2P.. Those that are all for it, really don't understand it..

There is nothing wrong with the restrictions.. And people will be able to pay for the parts of the game they wish to play.. That means they won't have to pay for the parts they don't want..

If you don't want any restrictions, then stay a subscriber..

This is a business and EA and Bioware are out to make money.. The sooner people realise that the better..
believe it or not, but some of my biggest concerns is simply that these restrictions are so heavy that they will turn people away from the game rather then lure them in.

f2p only works with people that pay for nothing - and I mean nothing. because for every player that is enjoying the game there is a second player that .will. spend the money. and most money in f2p is made with 'convenience' stuff and 'fluff' anyway. what do you think why even completely free (?) games give out gimmicks every once in a while? to hook people. so make them browse the cash shops and spend more than they planned.

just like in real life. I call it the 'IKEA-phenomenon'

Maviarab
10.18.2012 , 08:21 AM | #6
Majik..

Seems you are not counting 'time' as 'free'...

But sorry to say this, Lotro is completely FREE...'IF'...you choose to make it so. It is actually a hybrid, with full VIP, full F2P, and a middle ground of anyone not VIP who is either no longer subbing or has spent real money at 'some point' in the game. But you 'can play for free' the ENTIRE game and 'content' for no monetary cost, if you put the time and effort in.

@Amnie..Agree completely. Said it in a different thread (you may have replied lol, not checked yet). The current 'known' restrictions are not going to drag in the people EA are hoping to, even on a free basis.

Eszi
10.18.2012 , 08:22 AM | #7
This is ea, letting us get poo coins with ingame activities would potentially lower their income thus no.

PlagaNerezza
10.18.2012 , 08:31 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
As title asks, will we?

A few other F2P games allow this. Some call it a grind fest, but it is a 100% optional grind fest. Things that could earn Coins

*Completing both world and bonus series quests
*Killing ALL champions on the planet, including World Boss
*Killing X/Y/Z of certain creature on a planet
*Full map exploration of a planet
*Etc

Of course these wouldn't have to be huge rewards. I can't really say "Only about 5-20" or "100 minimum" because we don't know the value of coins relative to the items on offer in the store, but these rewards should be kept low.

Anyway, would love to hear from a Dev on this issue. And please, your whole "HAH! EA giving away money for free" thing isn't funny anymore. New material yo.
Someone will post something to that effect from Bioware and say yes. Then you'll ask about it and get a Soon(TM) response if you get any at all. Because that is the standard mode of operation.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!

Jaing
10.18.2012 , 11:14 AM | #9
heh, I firmly support the addition of earnable Cartel Coins to the game.

Bioware has said that there will be no earnable coins when F2P launches. They didn't say they would never have earnable coins, just that there wouldn't be any when F2P launches.

I'm holding out hope that they will implement earnable coins in the future. It is the same hope I am holding out for guild ships and the ability to decorate our personal ships.

It's all stuff on the wall of crazy. All we can do is keep telling Bioware that we really want it.
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Maviarab
10.18.2012 , 12:06 PM | #10
Jaing..

Is all psychology. The 'ability' to do everything for free, earning CC in game is a huge draw and will keep people playing. It will also cause a lot of people to sub, when they realsie, hell, it's just easier.

As for cosmetic fluff, I really don't think EA (surprisingly) realise how much of a pulling power/money maker that side of the game is...