Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free-to-Play Preview #1

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

maxetius
10.19.2012 , 07:58 PM | #71
Lightsaber crystals

Sheike
10.19.2012 , 08:18 PM | #72
Let's see release after constant release of pvp map packs and the start of the 1st PvP season please.

Lou-Saynus
10.19.2012 , 08:46 PM | #73
Quote:
If they start at zero, I would be better served to create characters now so when FTP launches they are sitting on a stack of coins.
This is exactly why it won't be per character.

Snazzy video, but no new info...

RickyBOL
10.19.2012 , 11:33 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by macabdul View Post
So why bother asking? Do you really think people like you and me could in any way answer your question?
I just hope someone in bioware sees it and gives me an answer

JimG
10.20.2012 , 03:21 AM | #75
Not a fan of the "packs" at all. If people are going to spend coins that they purchased with real money or coins they earned from subscribing (which also costs real money), then they should be able to get an exact item. I think it is a HORRIBLE idea to have these "packs" where certain items are not available for direct purchase and instead are only available as a possible random result from a pack. Based on developer comments elsewhere, that's what was said too....that certain items would only be available through packs. So if I want a particular item, I might have to buy 10 packs just to get it because of random luck as to what's in the pack? If I have to RE an item 20 times in the game before I hit on a schematic, fine....even though that's annoying enough as it is. But if I'm paying real money and have to purchase packs over and over to finally get the item I want, then that's just plain stupid. Then I end up paying for a bunch of stuff I never wanted in the first place. That's going to just lead to really bad experiences by your customers.

Also, by this video it appears there will be lightsaber crystals for sale. I really hope some of these colors like purple, white, etc. are available for purchase. While you're at it, how about adding some new colors into the store that aren't even in the game right now? Even KOTOR 2 had colors such as silver, viridian and bronze.

danpen
10.20.2012 , 04:48 AM | #76
I'm not a big fan of this FREE TO PLAY At all so i will not get involed in it. I'm not beeing mean !!
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

EkimusMarkV
10.20.2012 , 06:33 AM | #77
Other than playing some City of Heroes way back in the day, I've never been a big MMO guy (I played one 15 day trial of WoW before as well), so I have not seen other games that have gone F2P (guys that I game with have mentioned to me that several other MMO's have done it, and it has helped their bottom line). I guess for me, I had a different vision in my head of what this would entail when I first heard of it. I figured F2P would be the equivelent of the "Weekend Pass/Guest Pass" but on a permanent basis ("Hey, everyone come play whenever you want...Oh you like?...How about you support us and subscribe, then?"). Now that I see it is "Two ways to play", I'm a little irked. I had always intended to subscribe until the day, as another poster put it, that I stop playing completely and unintall from my computer. I figured if I like the game, and want to play, then I will support it by paying my dues. A lot of thses posts are about getting more options into the F2P, which to me, makes me wonder what is being done to keep subscribers? Cartel Coins to buy more stuff? Is this stuff limited to subs only? As a sub, I feel a benefit of that should be no additional out-of-pocket expense. Will I have to pay for some stuff now as well? Am I now going to have to do cost analysis to play this game (Can I cancel my sub and spend less than the $150/yr on the options/stuff that I want)? Great that you want to get more people on. I love this game and tell everyone I know and meet about it. But I hope there is some loyalty to those who have been, and will continue to be, subscribers. :end rant:

EightysixedGamer
10.20.2012 , 09:22 AM | #78
So I missed the section, that says what happens to existing - inactive accounts that come back as F2P.

What happens to characters rolled as other races (twi'lek, sith, rattataki, and M & M)? Do they lose the access to them all together?

Eszi
10.20.2012 , 11:44 AM | #79
Too bad they blurred the prices on items.
Makes me think what they don't want us to see

Kaze-Yama
10.20.2012 , 12:38 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Not a fan of the "packs" at all. If people are going to spend coins that they purchased with real money or coins they earned from subscribing (which also costs real money), then they should be able to get an exact item. I think it is a HORRIBLE idea to have these "packs" where certain items are not available for direct purchase and instead are only available as a possible random result from a pack. Based on developer comments elsewhere, that's what was said too....that certain items would only be available through packs.
I think you are jumping to conclusions. They will have packs of items as a bargain deal. So each individual item may be 2 dollars or something but then a pack with 5 items could be only 8 dollars just as a way to encourage people to spend more.

I think the random item packs are something totally different. I imagine the random packs will be cheaper and you have a chance of getting expensive or cool items in addition to other stuff. So basically it is like a gambling system built in to keep people spending with a relatively low chance of "hitting the jackpot" so to speak.

F2P is all about making cash and monetizing the game in every way which means if you only want to buy a single item you will be able to since Bioware knows that and they still want your money. If that option isn't in there it will be added once Bioware realizes the potential cash flow they are missing out on.