Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free-to-Play Preview #1

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZeroPlus
10.19.2012 , 08:22 AM | #51
REGARDING CHARACTER CREATION/SELECTION

A number of post have already touched on this and I too would like to know more about this.

Preamble:
I currently have a friend who is on the free trial and slowly trying out the game. He has created a Sith "Sith Warrior" and is currently at level 9 (took him over 3 weeks to get here, he has very little free time ). He is enjoying the character and the game immensely and is planning on choosing the Juggernaut advanced class when the time comes.

Question:
When the game goes free to play, will he still be able to play this character or will it now be locked (in essence forcing him to start over again with a Human/Cyborg/Zabrak)?
In other words: is the restriction mentioned in the preview *only* on character creation or is it *also* in effect for currently created characters?

(NOTE: I plan on staying a subscriber as long as I'm playing SWTOR. But I do play enough to justify that. My friend on the other hand, really is unable to justify subscribing to something he is able to play for maybe an hour a week. I think that Free2Play is a great model for him and others like him. I really don't get why so many people are talking of dropping their subscription when F2P comes as if it is a mandatory change. F2P is "another" option to play and *NOT* the only way.)
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

RickyBOL
10.19.2012 , 08:38 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
I really don't get why so many people are talking of dropping their subscription when F2P comes as if it is a mandatory change. F2P is "another" option to play and *NOT* the only way.)
Here is my case: I'm a student so there are times (months) when it'll be hard for me to find enough time to play in order to justify the subscription BUT I may have some spare time so I'd like to play SW:TOR (like your friend does). Fortunately, there are also times when I have more free time (like when I only have to study for my exams) and I can spend more time with TOR. In this case, I won't have any problem to pay a subscription 'cause I wouldn't feel like wasting my money!

frostien
10.19.2012 , 08:39 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by zeroplus View Post
regarding character creation/selection
question:
When the game goes free to play, will he still be able to play this character or will it now be locked (in essence forcing him to start over again with a human/cyborg/zabrak)?
In other words: Is the restriction mentioned in the preview *only* on character creation or is it *also* in effect for currently created characters?
^ This, is exactly what I believe should be added in, or at least be addressed so some of us can play worry-free.

jeardawg
10.19.2012 , 08:54 AM | #54
Hey I have a couple more suggestions about things that should definately be restricted at free to play,
Loading Screens---------------Limited Access
Croud Control in Stunball-------------------Limited Access
Dancers Outfitts---------------More Limited Accesss
General Chat----------------Limited Access
Hood Toggling----------------Limited Access(or any access

I will start by saying that I pay my subscription fee every month and will continue to do so until I un-install this game from my computer and quit playing. I used to be all worried about the impact of free to play on this game, now I am more insulted at the amount of time wasted implementing it, when they could have been doing something productive. With this new list of free to play restrictions I suspect this will go over about as successfully as the free trial to lvl 15 did.

xGuyotx
10.19.2012 , 09:50 AM | #55
I am a subscriber, and will continue to be one. My question to any Dev is this: Will my cartel coins that I am showing now be PER CHARACTER, or PER ACCOUNT. I have 1500 coins now, so will each character have 1500, or will i have to split them up? If it is per character, will new characters I create get 1500 coins, or will they start at zero? If they start at zero, I would be better served to create characters now so when FTP launches they are sitting on a stack of coins.

Devs, please respond to this, as it has a major impact on new characters for those of us that are subscirbers.
OOOooottiiniiiii!!!

xGuyotx
10.19.2012 , 09:58 AM | #56
For those worried about their existing characters when they go FTP, this was on the FTP FAQ:

"What happens to my existing characters if I become a Free-to-Play member?

We will not be deleting any characters from player accounts. Any characters already existing on your account at the time of the Free-to-Play launch will still be available to you afterwards. The choice of which of your characters are active under the Free-to-Play system is entirely up to you, and you can choose from any of your existing characters with no restriction other than the number of active character slots available. "
OOOooottiiniiiii!!!

HarleysRule
10.19.2012 , 10:32 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by xGuyotx View Post
I am a subscriber, and will continue to be one. My question to any Dev is this: Will my cartel coins that I am showing now be PER CHARACTER, or PER ACCOUNT. I have 1500 coins now, so will each character have 1500, or will i have to split them up? If it is per character, will new characters I create get 1500 coins, or will they start at zero? If they start at zero, I would be better served to create characters now so when FTP launches they are sitting on a stack of coins.

Devs, please respond to this, as it has a major impact on new characters for those of us that are subscirbers.
I am 99.9999999% certain that is per account, like other MMOs. They're not going to give people with 20 characters 100 dollars worth of cartel coins while giving people with 1 character 5 dollars worth (or whatever 1500 CC is worth).

xGuyotx
10.19.2012 , 10:41 AM | #58
Ouch, so with 8 char slots your 150 cartel coins a month for subbing will give each toon about 20? They should bind cartel purchases to your legacy then so all your characters get whatever you buy. Or hopefully all the cartel stuff is just fluff and has no influence on stats/game play.
OOOooottiiniiiii!!!

Vespassian
10.19.2012 , 10:51 AM | #59
This. Looks. Amazing.
JOREL
COLE

BadOrb
10.19.2012 , 11:02 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by xGuyotx View Post
Ouch, so with 8 char slots your 150 cartel coins a month for subbing will give each toon about 20? They should bind cartel purchases to your legacy then so all your characters get whatever you buy. Or hopefully all the cartel stuff is just fluff and has no influence on stats/game play.
It won't be just fluff items , there is going to be gear to help you level from 1-50 ( no end game gear though ). Also armor skins , which are only available in the cash shop. Anyways with news of this video surely we are close to getting it all implemented now.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12