Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Clone Wars 2008 Animated Series Major Fails (Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Clone Wars 2008 Animated Series Major Fails (Spoilers)

Makavelieazy's Avatar


Makavelieazy
10.17.2012 , 04:05 AM | #1
I'm a 10% Clone Wars Fan, I mostly watch it to see how they keep messing up our favorite Lore. I also understand that their target is kid to enjoy star wars, but not at the expense of killing what was written by comics, games, and book. I loved the original Clone Wars 5 min Mini Series because it wasn't cheesy like in the new series. But I object on the following reasons.

- General Greivous made into a wimp and gave him his crippled voice, unlike the Mini Series he had an intimidating voice and they gave the reason why he was coughing in EP 3.
- Anakin given an Annoying Padawan, super cheesy lines
- 501st not as cool nor tough as in Battlefront 2, Ep 3, and EU. I mean really these guys kill the Jedi at the Temple and destroy many rebellions.
- Captain Rex, replaces ARC-17 as Anakins and Obi-Wans Clone Buddy and commander.
- No Durge as a CIS commander
- Battle of Mon Calmari soo CHEEZY,
- ARC Troopers not so commando like

There is so much more, but i don't want all that fun for me alone. Please share your dislikes on the Animated Series. Not to be so negative since I like 10 percent of it, I LOVE the idea Maul survived, but him using a single hilt saber (although its the same saber from Ep 1), the Zilo Beast and Palpatine still being wicked.
"Answer: Yes. It mean you will "never" understand. When I kill, when i dispatch a target, it is not about wanton slaughter. About body count. It is about finesse, function. Doing more with less. It is "art". " - HK-47 schooling some HK-50s

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
10.17.2012 , 10:19 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Makavelieazy View Post
- General Greivous made into a wimp and gave him his crippled voice, unlike the Mini Series he had an intimidating voice and they gave the reason why he was coughing in EP 3.
- Anakin given an Annoying Padawan, super cheesy lines
- 501st not as cool nor tough as in Battlefront 2, Ep 3, and EU. I mean really these guys kill the Jedi at the Temple and destroy many rebellions.
- Captain Rex, replaces ARC-17 as Anakins and Obi-Wans Clone Buddy and commander.
- No Durge as a CIS commander
- Battle of Mon Calmari soo CHEEZY,
- ARC Troopers not so commando like
I find that the new series is far more canonically accurate than the original series which seriously overpowered absolutely everything and was generally weak in terms of character development.

-You say general grievous has been made into a 'wimp' (a bit of an exaggeration, lets say far weaker) by the new series, but in fact he has been made more accurate and more canon. Take Ep 3, he has his magnaguards fight for him, which is what always happens in TCW. And when he is at a disadvantage, he flees his ship takes a escape pod outta there, again this is well reflected in TCW

When he finally gets him lightsabers out he does not own Obi-Wan with a twirling wheel of doom move, using his feet to wield lightsabers, but is defeated. The original TCW Grievous would wipe the floor with Obi-Wan (and any jedi for that matter) and then eat his remains. He would have then proceeded to take out the entire clone army on Utapua.

- Anakin and his annoying padawan giving cheesy lines, I can't argue with you their. But this is an American cartoon series which has to appeal to the young audience, and they like cheese. I also find its countered by the darker moments which I found i pleasant surpise.

- No Durge...you mean the guy who can't be killed and turns into the spaghetti monster all the time? I think I know why. (and if they had introduced Durge, it would have probably led to even more retconning, and toning down of his powers etc. best left alone)

- Battle of Calamari Cheezy? I didn't notice any extra cheese factor here, just basic cheddar like the rest of TCW (pardon the pun)

- Arc troopers not being very commando like seems to be being rectified in this next series. I'm no expert on troopers but from the looks of the new trailers their bringing back some famous squad that everyone loves that look very commando like and similar to those troopers in the game Republic Commando.

Ultimately the new series is an overwhelming improvement in my eyes, its more canonically accurate and feels more like a Star Wars thing rather than some spin off made by the directors of Samurai Jack...

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
10.17.2012 , 01:01 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I find that the new series is far more canonically accurate than the original series which seriously overpowered absolutely everything and was generally weak in terms of character development.

-You say general grievous has been made into a 'wimp' (a bit of an exaggeration, lets say far weaker) by the new series, but in fact he has been made more accurate and more canon. Take Ep 3, he has his magnaguards fight for him, which is what always happens in TCW. And when he is at a disadvantage, he flees his ship takes a escape pod outta there, again this is well reflected in TCW

When he finally gets him lightsabers out he does not own Obi-Wan with a twirling wheel of doom move, using his feet to wield lightsabers, but is defeated. The original TCW Grievous would wipe the floor with Obi-Wan (and any jedi for that matter) and then eat his remains. He would have then proceeded to take out the entire clone army on Utapua.

- Anakin and his annoying padawan giving cheesy lines, I can't argue with you their. But this is an American cartoon series which has to appeal to the young audience, and they like cheese. I also find its countered by the darker moments which I found i pleasant surpise.

- No Durge...you mean the guy who can't be killed and turns into the spaghetti monster all the time? I think I know why. (and if they had introduced Durge, it would have probably led to even more retconning, and toning down of his powers etc. best left alone)

- Battle of Calamari Cheezy? I didn't notice any extra cheese factor here, just basic cheddar like the rest of TCW (pardon the pun)

- Arc troopers not being very commando like seems to be being rectified in this next series. I'm no expert on troopers but from the looks of the new trailers their bringing back some famous squad that everyone loves that look very commando like and similar to those troopers in the game Republic Commando.

Ultimately the new series is an overwhelming improvement in my eyes, its more canonically accurate and feels more like a Star Wars thing rather than some spin off made by the directors of Samurai Jack...
Completely agree with this guy.

I love TCW and I especially love the Independent Faction Story Arcs and the Sith Arcs because they always impress me.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
10.17.2012 , 01:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Completely agree with this guy.

I love TCW and I especially love the Independent Faction Story Arcs and the Sith Arcs because they always impress me.
Same here, the only thing I dislike about this series is it is a bit cheesy in place (but thats to be expected) and they had Grievous, one of my favourite characters, owned by gungans - as you can imagine i was not impressed

What I also love about the series is those 'Darth Vader' moments, and how their elaborating on his fall to the dark side which seems a bit fast in Ep 3 (and also filling out other characters in general who didn't get much or any limelight in the movies)

CassusVerda's Avatar


CassusVerda
10.17.2012 , 02:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Makavelieazy View Post
I'm a 10% Clone Wars Fan, I mostly watch it to see how they keep messing up our favorite Lore. I also understand that their target is kid to enjoy star wars, but not at the expense of killing what was written by comics, games, and book. I loved the original Clone Wars 5 min Mini Series because it wasn't cheesy like in the new series. But I object on the following reasons.

- General Greivous made into a wimp and gave him his crippled voice, unlike the Mini Series he had an intimidating voice and they gave the reason why he was coughing in EP 3.
- Anakin given an Annoying Padawan, super cheesy lines
- 501st not as cool nor tough as in Battlefront 2, Ep 3, and EU. I mean really these guys kill the Jedi at the Temple and destroy many rebellions.
- Captain Rex, replaces ARC-17 as Anakins and Obi-Wans Clone Buddy and commander.
- No Durge as a CIS commander
- Battle of Mon Calmari soo CHEEZY,
- ARC Troopers not so commando like

There is so much more, but i don't want all that fun for me alone. Please share your dislikes on the Animated Series. Not to be so negative since I like 10 percent of it, I LOVE the idea Maul survived, but him using a single hilt saber (although its the same saber from Ep 1), the Zilo Beast and Palpatine still being wicked.
Absence of ARC-17 "Alpha" from the show other than the "George didn't like the aliteration of three main characters with names starting with A" excuse can be explained by him being reassigned to training the Clone Commanders like Cody, Bly, Bacara, Gree, and all that jazz. This all happened after he and Obi Wan were captured and being tortured by Assaj Ventress on Rattakk and later escaped. Well...until they find a way to retcon that at least...That's what I would go by. TCW (2008- ) takes place after Anakin was knighted and Alpha was reassigned when Anakin was still a Padawan.

I agree about ARC Troopers to a certain degree. Seeing them lecture regular clones on Teamwork is kind of redundant because the idea of an ARC Trooper, at least an Alpha-Class ARC trooper is that he by himself can take out an enemy facility BY HIMSELF. Granted the Muunilist 7 in Clone Wars (2003) did function as a team...but then again TCW is also the series that tends to IGNORE that one. If anything wouldn't a Republic Commando be more fitting to oversee regular troopers working together since as I don't know that's EXACTLY what they do!

Also Promotion to ARC Trooper is kind of ifish to me anyway as Rex could have simply promoted them to Sergeant or Lieutenant within the 501st. Yea they did perform bravely and gave a good battle speech, but really all they did was was follow orders and blast droids.....which is what other Regular Clones do.... They didn't really exhibit traits one would consider for a potential ARC Trooper. Like I don't know infiltrate a Seperatist Captital ship and take it down from with in. if anything Dave Filoni and Company just made Echos and Fives ARCs just because and also so they could give them cooler armor.

Matter of Fact I doubt the ARC Troopers we saw in TCW were even Alpha-Class ARC Troopers but rather conscripts from the Regular variety that had performed well enough in combat for a promotion.

Also on The Clone Wars Fails......NEW F'ing MANDALORIANS.... = PURE UNADULTERATED HATRED
EBON HAWK
"THE MANDALORIANS"
http://themandalorians.enjin.com/home
Aliit Kohr: Mains: 55 Snip Ba'slan 55 Op AP-XT (Assassin Droid) 55 PT D'Cassus

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
10.17.2012 , 02:50 PM | #6
Clone Wars mini-promo series > TCW any day.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.17.2012 , 03:10 PM | #7
Looking at your sig, I'm reluctant to take you seriously in this matter. However, I'll give you the benfit of the doubt.

TCW has its problems. I disagree with some things, such as retcons, but the show is bordering on G-canon based on GL's involvement.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

Lord_Karsk's Avatar


Lord_Karsk
10.17.2012 , 03:56 PM | #8
Clonewars canon is above game and comics canon.

Jorelle's Avatar


Jorelle
10.17.2012 , 04:11 PM | #9
what i love and find hilarious is that fans of star wars will act whiney and pissy and oh my god the world is coming to an end when GL makes changes or does something to TCW (present version). The ones that say they hate this series compare to the origninal, i say if you dont like it, dont watch it simple as that. But the point is i have a 11 year old special needs child and he absolutely loves watching TCW (present version), i got a version of the old version of the animated clone wars and let him watch it and then this version, he chose this one so i went from there. Myself im also a fan of this one but the choice was his, but anyway i like it and he likes it and that is what is important to me, is what makes him happy.
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."

Jorelle's Avatar


Jorelle
10.17.2012 , 04:12 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Karsk View Post
Clonewars canon is above game and comics canon.

i really like your signature
"Mandalorians Don't make threats. We make promises."