Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Makashi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Makashi

Aurbere
10.16.2012 , 07:42 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
I guess that is true though I haven't seen Makashi as a true counter to Soresu.
Not necessarily. Makashi can perform well against Soresu in the short term. Sort of like a bunker siege. Soresu is like a steel bunker and Makashi is a wave of missiles. If the Soresu user can withstand the 'wave of missiles' that Makashi users bring to bear, they can most likely outlast Makashi duelists. This also relies on a duelists use of the Force. In the example you mentioned, Dooku defeats Obi-Wan with the Force. Yes he does. Now in a straight up duel, a Makashi user uses the Force aggressively in battle, while Soresu uses the Force to keep their defenses up. They use it to keep themselves rejuvinated. That's one of the reasons Soresu is so effective, defensively.

Long story short. Makashi can perform well against Soresu in the short term, but once the duel gets dragged out Soresu will eventually win. Not guaranteed, but a solid chance.
Added Chapter 63 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

ToEasy
10.16.2012 , 08:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Not necessarily. Makashi can perform well against Soresu in the short term. Sort of like a bunker siege. Soresu is like a steel bunker and Makashi is a wave of missiles. If the Soresu user can withstand the 'wave of missiles' that Makashi users bring to bear, they can most likely outlast Makashi duelists. This also relies on a duelists use of the Force. In the example you mentioned, Dooku defeats Obi-Wan with the Force. Yes he does. Now in a straight up duel, a Makashi user uses the Force aggressively in battle, while Soresu uses the Force to keep their defenses up. They use it to keep themselves rejuvinated. That's one of the reasons Soresu is so effective, defensively.

Long story short. Makashi can perform well against Soresu in the short term, but once the duel gets dragged out Soresu will eventually win. Not guaranteed, but a solid chance.
Good point.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

Slowpokeking
10.16.2012 , 09:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
Obi-Wan switched to Soresu after episode 1.
No, even in EP III Dooku still expected Obi Wan to use Ataru and was surprised when he discovered the truth, so clearly he used Ataru in Soresu.

Of course Makashi is good against Soresu, but not bad against Dejm So.

Aurbere
10.16.2012 , 09:55 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
No, even in EP III Dooku still expected Obi Wan to use Ataru and was surprised when he discovered the truth, so clearly he used Ataru in Soresu.

Of course Makashi is good against Soresu, but not bad against Dejm So.
Makashi is an all-around good form. It was designed to for lightsaber combat while the others were meant for fighting blaster wielding enemies. Makashi can beat many forms, but can also lose to these forms. Makashi can beat Soresu, just as it can lose to Soresu. Makashi can beat Djem So, but it can also lose to Djem So. It comes down to the level of mastery the duelists have with these forms.

Say a master of Djem So comes up against a master of Makashi. The Makashi master has the advantage of being able to maneuver quickly around the Djem So master, but the Djem So master can utilize the heavy strikes and strength of that form to wear down the Makashi masters defenses. But Makashi also has a main flaw. There is no real strength in its strikes. The form focuses heavily on flourishes and redirecting attacks to create holes in the enemy's defense. This is why Djem So has the upper hand, and why Soresu can out last Makashi.

Makashi can beat these forms, but can also lose to them.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

TalonVII
10.17.2012 , 12:50 AM | #15
I look at it this way, Makashi is like fencing with a Rapier. Flourishing and parrying work.

Soresu is like fighting with a Broadsword defensively. Djem So, is like hacking somebody to death with said broadsword with powerful sweeping strikes that if you get hit by them, well it might just snap said rapier.

just my two credits on that look.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

Crawelc
10.17.2012 , 07:19 AM | #16
Great read, cant wait for the ataru thread, coming "soon"? lol
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest><Super Bads><Murica Force><The Cream><RSU>
All Imprimis All the time.
GM of 3 dead guilds and counting.

Aurbere
10.17.2012 , 08:54 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
I look at it this way, Makashi is like fencing with a Rapier. Flourishing and parrying work.

Soresu is like fighting with a Broadsword defensively. Djem So, is like hacking somebody to death with said broadsword with powerful sweeping strikes that if you get hit by them, well it might just snap said rapier.

just my two credits on that look.
That's actually an astute (that means good, right? lol) analysis. Count Dooku especially preferred a rapier fencing style to Lightsaber combat. He preferred finesse over strength. It's one of the things that made his such a great duelist. He could maneuver very well and compensate for Makashi's weakness to multiple opponents.

Aurbere
10.17.2012 , 08:56 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Great read, cant wait for the ataru thread, coming "soon"? lol
Yes, Ataru is coming soon. For those of you living in the U.S. Soresu will be coming out this evening. Ataru will be tomorrow. One form every day.

Beniboybling
10.17.2012 , 10:23 AM | #19
very interesting, from how Dooku uses it, it seems very formal and ceremonial. Not very aggresive and more about exposing the enemy like you said, it kind of reminds me of the fighting style in pirate movies and three musketeers etc. (i forget what the swords called)

Oh and could you put a link to the other threads in your future posts, just so its easier to navigate between them.

Aurbere
10.17.2012 , 10:29 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
very interesting, from how Dooku uses it, it seems very formal and ceremonial. Not very aggresive and more about exposing the enemy like you said, it kind of reminds me of the fighting style in pirate movies and three musketeers etc. (i forget what the swords called)

Oh and could you put a link to the other threads in your future posts, just so its easier to navigate between them.
Makashi can be aggressive in the way Ventress uses it, or more focused on finesse like how Count Dooku uses it. You can tell that both have their advantages.

I will edit the OP and put the link to Shii-Cho in there.

The swords are called rapiers, by the way.