Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does anybody do a HM/Normal mode Flashpoint in full anymore?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Does anybody do a HM/Normal mode Flashpoint in full anymore?

Ms_Sunlight
10.15.2012 , 08:24 PM | #11
When I'm tanking, I put my mouse over people's portraits. If they all have over 20K HP I know it's going to be a fast run. If anyone looks less well geared and might be able to use the drops, I ask. Simple.

I actually quite like running newbies through flashpoints for the first time and explaining the bosses.
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

Ms_Sunlight
10.15.2012 , 08:27 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bleidlein View Post
I am on ebon hawk and i have just started doing flashpoints. Took me a bit to understand the setup for them but i got it. I did a group finder for directive 7 and black talon. I do another and dont even remember which one it was. I tell the group that i am new to this fp thinking they may kick me for that but i would be alright with it.

The group does not kick me and we jet off bypassing everything. I try to follow but i get the out of bounds warning and die. Now the group cant get me to res so i had to revive at the start. I don't know the way to get to them and i say that i dont know the way. I figure they didnt want to wait for me so as im about to disband and move along in my adventures... then one of the guys calls me a retard and says they should drop me. I disbanded and left but i suppose there are a lot of impatient players who dont pay attention to others. how am i retarded for not knowing the way in a zone i have never been to. i just assume he didn't see where i stated that i was new to the fp. It can be very discouraging for sure.
I had a very similar experience the first time I ran Taral V HM via Group Finder. The group all went racing off, I didn't know any of the skips and couldn't keep up, I kept pulling stuff by accident, I got called names, people just stood there and watched me die and didn't help. I was the tank, by the way.

Don't worry. That's just one group. You will encounter many nice, helpful groups for every shower of idiots you come across.
Carilie - Scoundrel // Dastelen - Shadow // Dras'yra - Sniper // Elonie - Sorcerer // Undali - Powertech
Server: The Red Eclipse // Guild: The Onyx Guard / The Orbital Guard

Karasuko
10.15.2012 , 10:58 PM | #13
Honestly, No.
Its a personal thing but I have yet to find a group member that says " hey can we clear the bonus?"

I really hate redoing content so i'm always keen to get everything done as quickly as possible then move onto another toon.

lanawinst
10.15.2012 , 11:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ms_Sunlight View Post
I had a very similar experience the first time I ran Taral V HM via Group Finder. The group all went racing off, I didn't know any of the skips and couldn't keep up, I kept pulling stuff by accident, I got called names, people just stood there and watched me die and didn't help. I was the tank, by the way.

Don't worry. That's just one group. You will encounter many nice, helpful groups for every shower of idiots you come across.
Same thing happened here. And to those saying just say you're new, well, I tried twice. I don't know about you but with my pc, I can't chat and make my character move:
1st time: so I tried as soon as i arrived telling about it but i realize the group is rushing and already way forward, so I tell them about it, most seem already furious that i'm 1. a noob, 2. that i'm not catching up. 3. that i want to see the story without spacing. Guess how it ends....
2nd time: i see them rushing before i have time to say anything, so trying not to get too behind this time i stop trying to chat and follow. Make some mistakes. Some do tell me about some things while others bash me, but before i have time to read it properly/answer/ ask questions or anything really (and since it's not my first language it's even harder for me to understand abbreviations and such), they are already rushing and move on, so i hesitate to leave realizing that it's a bad situation that makes everyone mad, me for being hassled and them to have a noob with them but it seemed almost done so I choose to keep going hoping it'd end soon. But guess what, i unintentionally attacked the wrong foe, and, it was it for me.

My advice would be indeed to find a nice guild who's focused on helping out each other and making the game fun for all. Before joining my guild, I swore never to do groupings anymore because it was just not worth the hassle. But now, i've done fp with my guildies and enjoyed it for the first time because when you can communicate and make sure everyone in the group has the same objectives, then you can start to enjoy it so much more.

Gidrea
10.16.2012 , 01:14 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Curlyco View Post
So relatively new to the PVE endgame but have been using the Group Finder for Normal and Hard Mode flashpoints with very limited success. 80% of the time there is no chat, half of the group is experienced and the other half (like me) don't know all the FPs and are actually there for the first or maybe second time. As a result, the experienced ones charge off and leave the newbies trying to figure out where they went and how to catch them up. Some of the experienced guys then come back and help out but most just start with the angry comments/kick or rage quit.

Also, as newbies, we actually want to do the whole flashpoint and not the last boss. We also need the drops from all of the bosses and not the last one.

So I join a guild - maybe my bad luck but they seem focussed on ops where the min need is columi gear.

Seems to me I have a few choices left - keep using group finder and hope that I either learn the speed runs or that I eventually find some like minded users that want to do the whole thing so that I can gear up. Keep getting the BH comms from the weekly and in 13 weeks I'll be geared up. Join a guild that helps out in betweeners like me.

I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation so anyone on Harbinger in the same situation let me know and we can group up to do the whole of the FP and not speed runs.

Any advice, constructive comments gratefully received
There are a lot of people out there who will help you. And, there are a lot who are jerks. You just have to leave the group if they're being jerks, put them on ignore, and try again.

As for a guild, look me up. We have several newly minted 50s that need to start running HMs. I might be able to help you out, depending on your time zone and schedule, of course.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

bsbrad
10.16.2012 , 05:58 PM | #16
Personally I always ask at the beginning of the flashpoint if anyone has not run the flashpoint before or is new to the flashpoint.

I will always help people learn the mechanics and shortcuts of the flashpoints if people ask, the problem is when people just sit back try to run the flashpoint and then overextend aggro and cause wipes. This can be very expensive for geared players.

As always ask people, we have all been in the same position and most people will help new players learn.

If you ever need help, I am on Begeren Colony (look for N'abi)

ronniehenlau
10.17.2012 , 02:19 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by lanawinst View Post
Same thing happened here. And to those saying just say you're new, well, I tried twice. I don't know about you but with my pc, I can't chat and make my character move:
1st time: so I tried as soon as i arrived telling about it but i realize the group is rushing and already way forward, so I tell them about it, most seem already furious that i'm 1. a noob, 2. that i'm not catching up. 3. that i want to see the story without spacing. Guess how it ends....
2nd time: i see them rushing before i have time to say anything, so trying not to get too behind this time i stop trying to chat and follow. Make some mistakes. Some do tell me about some things while others bash me, but before i have time to read it properly/answer/ ask questions or anything really (and since it's not my first language it's even harder for me to understand abbreviations and such), they are already rushing and move on, so i hesitate to leave realizing that it's a bad situation that makes everyone mad, me for being hassled and them to have a noob with them but it seemed almost done so I choose to keep going hoping it'd end soon. But guess what, i unintentionally attacked the wrong foe, and, it was it for me.

My advice would be indeed to find a nice guild who's focused on helping out each other and making the game fun for all. Before joining my guild, I swore never to do groupings anymore because it was just not worth the hassle. But now, i've done fp with my guildies and enjoyed it for the first time because when you can communicate and make sure everyone in the group has the same objectives, then you can start to enjoy it so much more.
I was in a group where your first point happened.. One of the dps hadnt done it before (was FE HM). I was the tank, and the dps said 'I've never done this before, so I could use some help with tactics. If its ok with everyone, I'd like to see the cutscenes'. I said 'Sure, its fine by me '. The healer, instead of saying anything, used the vote-2-kick button, I hit decline and the other dps agreed to the vote. I asked them why they did it, and they didnt want to be teamed with a noob having to watch the cutscenes. I told them they were ******es, wished them good luck in getting a new tank, left the group, invited the dps to group with me and went with him for 2 hardmodes. :> Needless to say, the other dps and the healer got on my ignore list ^^

POPsi
10.17.2012 , 02:49 AM | #18
as long as the inexperienced player is not stupid, I'm happy to kill all the bosses, and explain tactics/or shortcuts.
What I did myself (running FPs the first time) that I read through the guides for each of them to understand what to expect, it helps a lot. Also, don't skip any of the normal mode FPs while you level, do them, do them again and again, and by the time you get to the hard modes you will know what to do and where to go.

Atramar
10.17.2012 , 04:14 AM | #19
Depends on healer too. I don't mind killing extra bosses (with few exceptions like skipable one on boarding party, and 3rd on BOI for example), some depends on healer (bonus on BT), but when I go, I go for fast run.
Want extra boss? Feel free to ask (not demand, 'would you mind killing extra bosses please?' and I bet you 85% will agree 10% will sa 'no, sorry, gotta hurry', and eventually 5% might kick or be rude to you - chance you gotta take)
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Webalienz
10.17.2012 , 11:43 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by POPsi View Post
Also, don't skip any of the normal mode FPs while you level, do them, do them again and again, and by the time you get to the hard modes you will know what to do and where to go.
This was definitely my issue, as I solo'd two characters to 50 without doing any Flashpoints. I've got two other lower-level alts and plan on just getting in the group finder and start running FP's to get Dailies. My other two lower-level alts are going down paths to be healers, so this would definitely be an opportunity for me to learn how to best be a healer (and not having everyone yell at you if they die....which hopefully they won't).