Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't decide what class to pick :(

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Can't decide what class to pick :(

Roda
12.14.2011 , 03:31 PM | #11
This is copied from the Sith Assassin guide sticky. I hope that the information helps. Though it refers to the Empire classes, it also applies to their parallel classes for the Republic.

----------

Q: What's the difference between the three types of tanks?

A: Sith Warrior tanks have the most survivability cooldowns, and once they get rolling, they have the most forgiving resource mechanic. They have the most issue generating threat, especially in ranged or AoE situations. Sith Assassins have the fewest and weakest survivability cooldowns, but have the ability to self-heal regularly, a very high block chance, strong AoE threat and okay ranged threat. Shield Tech Powertechs have a moderate amount of survivability cooldowns, okay AoE threat, great ranged threat/battlefield mobility, and the best straight mitigation. Their resource mechanic is very punishing if mishandled. The two force-users have more apparent flaws at lower levels, but grow into the role fully later.

Cademus
12.14.2011 , 06:23 PM | #12
I agree with your previous post, however I'd add that the BH and SI tanks have the greatest ability to front-load their threat, whereas SW have to ramp up their treat. This isn't so much a big deal at the initial pull, but can be an issue with picking up adds on ranged dps/healers. Combined with almost melee exclusive abilities, this can be seen as a disadvantage. Honestly, after playing all the tanks in beta, it comes down to what class do you want to play story/combat wise. The skill/play style of a tank is based solely on the player.

SushaBrancaleone
12.15.2011 , 07:27 AM | #13
hi, i would like some advice if possible too.

i should be playing with 2 friends, one will go tank and the other healer. I know on of the two wont play much, so i wanna be either tank or healer just in case, leaning more towards tank.

my idea is to go with a jedi consular, to give me more time to decide which of the 2 to go with.

However, I've read somewhere that the jedi shadow tank isnt a very effective one in end game.

from the description provided above it seems is more something like a tank for end game trash mobs rather than for boss fights.

the question after all is simple: is it a viable tank for end game too?

cheers

Crogga
12.15.2011 , 08:00 AM | #14
Go Vanguard or it's mirror powertech. It's unique because it's first "range" tank I've seen in an mmo (my limited experience). Difficult resource mechanics- that should keep your interest. I had a blast with my vanguard. Probably best aoe tank- but have not played others far.
Juggy- felt alot like wow warrior- i know there's alot more to it later. But I want something totally different.
Assasin- similar to juggy (close combat)- If you always wanted to tank with a shammy this might be for you. More of a hybrid- can pull mobs to you. Avoidance tank.

Nightsyte
12.15.2011 , 11:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SushaBrancaleone View Post
hi, i would like some advice if possible too.

i should be playing with 2 friends, one will go tank and the other healer. I know on of the two wont play much, so i wanna be either tank or healer just in case, leaning more towards tank.

my idea is to go with a jedi consular, to give me more time to decide which of the 2 to go with.

However, I've read somewhere that the jedi shadow tank isnt a very effective one in end game.

from the description provided above it seems is more something like a tank for end game trash mobs rather than for boss fights.

the question after all is simple: is it a viable tank for end game too?

cheers
I don't think anyone has played the Shadow at endgame enough to answer that question, but having played it during the beta, I would say that it's not a bad option.

Biggest thing to understand is that the Shadow / Assassin are more Avoidance tanks than Mitigation (similar to Death Knights in that other game) - so you'll be tanking differently.

Even if you're not geared or skilled to Main Tank, the Shadow can make an excellent off-tank for holding adds, because we get Cleave and some good AoE damage.
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge." -Confucius

Roda
12.15.2011 , 07:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SushaBrancaleone View Post
While my informatin is second hand from reading the posts of others, it seems that the main raid guild of the beta end game used a Jedi Shadow as their MT and they were rather satisfied with it. Take that informaiton for whatever it's worth.

qwinnet
12.20.2011 , 08:16 AM | #17
I'm a level 25 Trooper Vanguard and tanked the flashpoints and heroic groups. Vanguard is really not a "ranged" tank because the primary ability - Stockstike - is a melee range skill. Still it's nice to get out of boss ground AOE and still be able to maintain some pressure. Your resource is ammo that doesn't regen very fast. What I do is Stockstrike (2 ammo) and High Impact Bolt (2 ammo) on every CD and fill with Hammer Shot (0 ammo). This way I have ammo available for Explosive Round, Pulse Cannon and Explosive Surge (3 ammo each) to do some aoe damage to pick up adds and Riot Strike (1 ammo) for interrupts. The biggest damage ability I see so far is Ion Pulse (2 ammo). I like to have a full ammo bar toward the end of the fight so I can spam this to finish off the boss. Ion Pulse also has a 10 meter range and this is enough to step out of AOE damage and still hit the boss hard.

It's also a nice level spec with the Elara companion healing me.

DarrkLore
12.20.2011 , 12:06 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AmbientLance View Post
Bounty Hunter : PowerTech
Pro: Heavy armor early, highly mobile, pretty versatile ranged tanking, felt like an easier class to tank with
Con: Couldn't really find any cons
I second this. The only tanking class I've played so far is Bounty Hunter so I can't comment on the others. But I definitely agree with this summary for BH. The class was a lot of fun, very versatile, very beefy, and also packs a decent punch. I've gotten my Powertech up to level 20 in the beta and I'd definitely recommend it based on my experience so far. I can't really come up with any cons either...
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████████████████████)

Bigaus
12.20.2011 , 02:08 PM | #19
The 'Con' of Vanguard/Pyrotech is the somewhat clunkiness of being a character with a gun that wants to run around hitting you in the knees with the gun stock rather than just shoot you.

that's really the only downside... playstyle flavor... I did find i was actually able to kite some boss mobs for short periods alleviating pressure on the healer.
"Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets, and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Lowenhertz
12.20.2011 , 07:05 PM | #20
I've got a level 32 Powertech, specced into shield tech. My objective from the start has been to tank, but at this point my love for it has taken quite a beating. I've tanked all the flashpoints up to my level and plenty of heroic missions. I'm seeing alot of inconsistency in the amount of damage i take, at times it's extremely relaxed and other times i'll drop like a stone. My friend has been healing me all along and the feedback he's been giving me is that he finds juggernauts much easier to heal at the current level (he's healed pretty much all levels of content in most mmos so i trust his judgement).

Additionally with rocket punch being one of the main abilities for powertech you become are not the ranged tank i know many (including myself) was expecting. I know i'm not 50 yet but looking ahead i already have my mitigation abilities and talents.

I dont like to talk things down but that's my thoughts on it right now.