Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scoundrel DPS

Jyklo
10.13.2012 , 01:56 PM | #1
Hi everyone,
I play a scoundrel, and I love to dps with him. However, from what I have been reading, it seems that dps is not really an option for scoundrels at level 50. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but could someone please give me an answer on whether or not they can dps. And if so, could you please tell me something about the talent tree I should be going down? Thank you so much!

Jyklo
10.13.2012 , 02:14 PM | #2
I forgot to mention that this was for PVE.

Tobradex
10.17.2012 , 01:42 PM | #3
I have seen Operatives who can parse decent numbers, but they are few and far between. My understanding (from personal experience and talking to others) is that you can do well as Operative DPS if you are a very good player. There is very little room for error in rotations. Min/Maxing is essential.
Xibrom - 50 Operative Healer

Oculi 50 Mercenary

JacksonMo
10.25.2012 , 09:35 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Tobradex View Post
I have seen Operatives who can parse decent numbers, but they are few and far between. My understanding (from personal experience and talking to others) is that you can do well as Operative DPS if you are a very good player. There is very little room for error in rotations. Min/Maxing is essential.
Yea, I would mention my GM does very well dpsing with his scoundrel, but he's also quite good, and very well geared.
Basically, gear up Guss and go to work. When you are doing well soloing dailies, you are probably ready for group content.
Just bare in mind, all of scoundrel's dps, or mostly, is at melee range. You might be wielding a blaster, but some of your best moves are kicks punches and blaster whips.

Stenrik
10.27.2012 , 03:11 AM | #5
Parse on the dummy to get comfortable with your rotation, so that it becomes second nature. A lot of your dmg should be coming from bleeds. (Think like 35+ percent on MOX parser). If it's a lot lower than that, you're probably doing something wrong. This is of course assuming you're scrapper spec.

The things I struggled with at first:
ALWAYS keeping one stack of upper hand up. I tended to blow them all on sucker punches.
ALWAYS keeping Pugnacity up (again, sometimes blew it on SP).
ALWAYS keeping your DoT up. Gotta keep those free sucker punches coming in.
Keeping Flyby on cooldown. But don't use high energy abilities right after it or you'll sink in energy, always do some Flurry of bolts to get it back up before the next BB, etc...
Using Sabo charge too much (it's good dmg but can make you blow through energy too fast and require an extra flurry of bolts to get back up).
I'm also a cybertech so I like to throw my reusable bombs into my rotation. Doesn't make a huge difference but it's something to do when recharging a little energy.

Additional challenges in raid settings are getting behind the boss. I've found them to be kind of buggy ("effect condition failed" when directly behind). I haven't raided since we got our speed capability from sneak so that should help at least a LITTLE with the gap closing. Try to just refresh your DoT while closing the gap after a knockback so you're at least doing something constructive.

Hope that will help.

SoonerJBD
10.27.2012 , 12:05 PM | #6
I raid like crazy with many different groups and pugs. I've never raided with a Scoundrel DPS. There is a reason for this. They parse lower than any other DPS spec. It's shameful and Bioware has done absolutely nothing to address it despite a previous statement that all DPS specs are intended to be within 5 percent of each other. Scoundrels parse about 15 percent below the top specs.

bryceman
11.11.2012 , 05:02 AM | #7
You can put out amazing dps as a scrapper scoundrel but you really have to know your **** or you will screw yourself over. Keeping your energy in the top tier and controlling your burst is very hard to do. At the beg. of a pull if I use a power adrenal in combination with fle. round and shoot first followed by my rotation I always take aggro. What everyone doesn't realize is that you are the most mobile class in the game because while almost all your abilities are melee range, you have a couple very hard hitting ranged abilities you can use if you are knocked back AND you are the only melee class to have a ranged interrupt which is very useful. You just really need to know your class and have the balls to back it up if you want any invites to raids.