Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag unbearable even though superior computer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Lag unbearable even though superior computer?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Leggomy
10.13.2012 , 10:54 AM | #11
I bet you have your frame rates set to go as high as possible. If you sync the frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate then I bet you see better performance. You cannot see more frames than your monitor allows (most likely 60 fps is the max) so it is pointless to not do this.

A sign of this is you are fine until you start standing still then you get "lag" spikes. When you are standing still sometimes the frame rates can jump to 100+. Another thing is make sure you blow the dust out of all fans and intakes regularly.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 12:17 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Leggomy View Post
I bet you have your frame rates set to go as high as possible. If you sync the frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate then I bet you see better performance. You cannot see more frames than your monitor allows (most likely 60 fps is the max) so it is pointless to not do this.

A sign of this is you are fine until you start standing still then you get "lag" spikes. When you are standing still sometimes the frame rates can jump to 100+. Another thing is make sure you blow the dust out of all fans and intakes regularly.
i got all the dust out and such. but how do i sync the frame rate to my refresh rate? thanks for the help!

Leggomy
10.13.2012 , 12:28 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Broosh View Post
i got all the dust out and such. but how do i sync the frame rate to my refresh rate? thanks for the help!
Its under the advanced graphic options. It says "enable v-sync".

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 12:36 PM | #14
oh, i've already done that as well

SeiferMaster
10.13.2012 , 12:54 PM | #15
how do i check the temperature? i used to have a case that had a temp. control center to make it easier to adjust, but i got a different case.

and i also checked to make sure everything is working. i initially had 8GB but i found out one of the sticks was dead.
You should download this little tool
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Very useful if you want to figure out if your machine is running as it should be. The defective stick of RAM will greatly affect performance if you're in dual/triple channel.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 02:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SeiferMaster View Post
You should download this little tool
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Very useful if you want to figure out if your machine is running as it should be. The defective stick of RAM will greatly affect performance if you're in dual/triple channel.
what are normal temperatures?

100 - 99 - 95 - 98

the 4 i got (give or take a couple)

alexzk
10.13.2012 , 02:13 PM | #17
About 70C degrees should be normal. You need to check fans if it is much more. For example, my nvidia has 65C playing swtor and cpu is 67 under 95-100%% load.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 02:16 PM | #18
interesting, i'll check it out. but i know all of the fans are working so idk.

Petnil
10.13.2012 , 03:04 PM | #19
you probably should look for an extra stick so you can run dual channel with your ram again. Iīm not sure if 2 of your sticks run dual and 1 normal or if maybe the 1 running normal forces the rest to run the same way. No matter what, you cant have too much ram. Also you didnīt write if your temp was in Celsius. If it is then it sounds seriously hot. Hot enough for the cpu to throttle down. you might want to look at getting a cpu cooler upgrade. First i might try to check if the cooler is 100% connected(in lack of better word) to your cpu.

SeiferMaster
10.13.2012 , 03:25 PM | #20
what are normal temperatures?

100 - 99 - 95 - 98

the 4 i got (give or take a couple)
Definitely not. Make sure your fan is installed properly on your CPU and that you have enough thermal paste on the CPU. The I7 decreases their speed in case it is overheating, which is why you have such poor performance from your CPU. I highly recommend shutting down your PC and fixing this problem. If you can't fix it yourself, take your computer to the shop as soon as possible or you could damage your CPU enough that it becomes unusable.