Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc/Commando idea

hunterraaze
10.12.2012 , 03:08 PM | #1
This applies to the Arsenal/Gunnery trees. But, my idea was, removing the activation time on tracer missile/grav round, but adding a cool down time equivalent to the casting time. This way, we can't "spam" the ability, but the ability that the tree is revolved around can stop getting interrupted, we have more mobility and this also gives us time to fire in another attack here and there while the cool down, is cooling down. What are your thoughts on this? Would you like to see this changed?

Newyankalt
10.12.2012 , 10:07 PM | #2
I kinda like the way it is now than I can stack my grav rounds up fast and follow with Demo round and HIB. I want my good cryo grenade back what range class wants too get within 10 meters and my knockback instead of an immobile stun. How long off a cool down are you wanting you wouldn't be able too stack armour reduction if its too long.

xxIncubixx
10.13.2012 , 12:08 PM | #3
Charged barrier should make you immune to Interrupts, period. Instead of lol5% decrease in damage...

Memo-
10.13.2012 , 12:14 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Newyankalt View Post
I kinda like the way it is now than I can stack my grav rounds up fast and follow with Demo round and HIB. I want my good cryo grenade back what range class wants too get within 10 meters and my knockback instead of an immobile stun. How long off a cool down are you wanting you wouldn't be able too stack armour reduction if its too long.
He did say that the cooldown should be the same length as the current activation time.
Spamming the skill would still take the same amount of time, but could not be interrupted. Then of course, this would erase the effect Alacrity has on the skill in question.
Sakků | Faris | Maliris | Sopraano<Reilukerho>Bas'so | Všli | Rai'chu | Jauhe
Delarah | Stilva | Luccia | Ethawn<Lice-Ridden Banthas>Tenori | Baritoni | Weimar | Altto
   The Lihavuori LegacyTomb of Freedon Nadd

BanetheDarkLord
10.13.2012 , 04:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
Charged barrier should make you immune to Interrupts, period. Instead of lol5% decrease in damage...
This I would endorse in full. Put Charged Barrier/Power Barrier at a higher tier in the tree so it doesn't mess giving Combat Medic/Bodyguard too much immunity to interruptions. Example: Put Charged Barrier/Power Barrier in tier 6, move Reserve Round/Power Overrides down to tier 4 and move Cell Charger/Terminal Velocity down where Charged Barrier/Power Barrier is (tier 3). Keep the damage reduction and just add that once you gain 5 stacks of Charged Barrier/Power Barrier it activates immunity to interruptions for X amount of seconds. Once the immunity is over, your stacks reset to 0.

I don't think this would make any huge imbalance issues because it takes the time to gain that immunity and the stacks of Charged Barrier/Power Barrier reset once your immunity timer is out.
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

seektravota
10.15.2012 , 03:12 AM | #6
your dps will drop because you cannot follow grav round instantly with high impact bolt or demo round, you'll add 1.5 sec general cd, and you'll lose the burst you can have with the combo.

Llama-Eight
10.15.2012 , 10:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
A 20% chance to not be interrupted per stack of charged barrier would be nice.

Kitru
10.15.2012 , 02:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Llama-Eight View Post
A 20% chance to not be interrupted per stack of charged barrier would be nice.
The problem with this is that you still suffer the problems of forced build-up time (which means, in order to become interrupt immune, you're gonna need to successfully hard cast 5 Grav Rounds), and it doesn't benefit Assault in the least (Assault uses Charged Bolts the same way that Gunnery uses Grav Round).

A better solution, as I see it, is to do one of the two following things:

Kitru's Idea #1: provide all Commandos (as a passive acquired when you become a Commando) a passive ability that provides you with a stacking buff whenever you stand still for 1 second that stacks up to 5 times. At 5 stacks, you become immune to interrupts. This provides Commandos with the needed utility to play effectively as a turret class that can be mechanically countered with physics effects in PvP and is balanced by a need to "ramp up" (but it doesn't require anything specifically to be cast so it can be used preemptively like Cover). This could even be folded in to other talents/abilities and set bonuses that cause you to gain additional stacks (or automatically gain 5 stacks or get rid of the loss upon movement for a short period of time). Rather than getting behind cover, Commandos simply have to "dig in" (it's a giant gun; it makes sense for whoever is using it to *not* want to move and to take a few to set their feet when they're laying down fire).

Kitru's Idea #2: Make Tech Override useful. It is, by far, the worst of the level 46 abilities in the game. For a class that has no hardcasts longer than 1.5-2.0 seconds (when properly spec'd; remember, channeled abilities aren't hardcasts), converting a single one of those into an instant cast every 2 minutes borders on the ludicrous. It would be more useful if, instead, it had a number of charges (like, say, 3) and was on a shorter CD (like say 45 seconds). This would provide a bit of run-and-gun (3 casts isn't really all that much) without being abusable (the charge limitation would prevent kiting and the CD brings it in line with the actual utility of it).

Simply turning Charged Bolts and Grav Round into instant casts with variable CDs has its own set of problems. First off, the GCD is a static 1.5 seconds when dealing with non-hardcast abilities. The only time it gets shorter is if you're using a hardcast with an activation time below the 1.5 sec GCD interval (which is one of the awesome things about alacrity and Commandos, actually, since most of their attacks have a 1.5 sec default cast time allowing alacrity to bring that below the GCD threshold). Applying the CD to Grav Round and Charged Bolts would be completely arbitrary since they would be restricted by the GCD already (unless the devs find some way to tweak the GCD according to alacrity for *those two abilities exclusively*, barring a complete overhaul of alacrity of course). Secondly, it would make Commandos capable of constant run-and-gun gameplay. The only abilities that any Commando would have to stand still for, ever, would be Full Auto and their AoEs. That would, honestly, be a bit borked (full ranged DPS that can pretty much keep running constantly except to drop a high damage 3 sec channel that, with Gunnery spec, slows the target by 70% for the duration; it would be the kiter's *dream*).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

klham
10.20.2012 , 08:51 PM | #9
^ These are really good ideas. Signed.

TyrellJonez
10.22.2012 , 09:33 AM | #10
Well heres the thing (and i'm not knocking anyones ideas) Arsenal isn't lacking in the dps department. We do fine, its just we are turrets in a PvP world ruled by melee classes. We need something to increase our mobility without adding dps or a utility skill. So i propose this in place of the very useless talent Power Overides in the Arsenal tree:

Power OverRides: Reduces the cooldown of Concussion Missile by [7.5 / 15] seconds and Thermal Sensor Override by [15 / 30] seconds.

Concussion Missle has limited use in PvP. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have an issue with heat as arsenal in pve or PvP. I don't know anyone who uses this at all. Its a wasted space.

Suggested Replacement:

Re-Route Power: When Power Barrier is active and you trigger Energy Shield Your gain a 50%/100% chance to ignore interupts and remove all movement impairing effects. In addition, when you trigger Jet Boost, you gain a 30%/60% movement speed increase for 3 seconds.

No damage increase, but it gives us a mobilty increase we do desperately need without being too broken. Oh, and when you trigger the jetboost, your jetpack flares up so it looks like its boosting our speed.

Oh and one last thing, can Thermal Detonator give a 100% chance to apply the effect of Combustible gas cylinder to the primary target? (for Merc only).
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me