Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lock box debate

Redat
10.13.2012 , 03:10 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
As long as they don't put anything in the boxes that cannot be gotten any other way it should be fine. If they follow STO's example and have items that can only ever be found in Lock Boxes it will be bad.
IF they do not intend to incorporate the lock boxes into the store then WHY bother to introduce such a mechanic in the first place, is it not a waste of time and effort to simply re-arrange the way we get loot/drops? You can bet they are looking at EVERYTHING they can jam into the store, its going to be their meal ticket after all.

Lord_Karsk
10.13.2012 , 03:13 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Ooloi View Post
i'll be walking out the door the day gambling boxes come in, permanently.
THIS ! if i see 1 lockbox like STO i'm gone, so is everyone i know ! bye bye forever !

A ingame store were one knows what he is buying is ok. Any drop ingame that require some key one have to buy to unlock etc would piss the playerbase off ! if that is going to be the norm then this game is trully dead and just a cash cow until it dies.

Mithros
10.13.2012 , 03:37 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post

You want an example of the stuff that they've actually said will go into these boxes at launch?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=541885

There, stuff that we WANT and will most likely end up paying for to get.
Stuff that I can take or leave, but that other people will willingly pay a little extra money to have.

You have a problem with people being given things that they can spend their money on if they want to?

What do you care if someone spends a few dollars to get some spiffy armor?

No guns are being put to anyone's heads here. Your character can wear the gear that they have right now and perform just as well.

Heck, I have no problem not buying stuff. I have never even felt the need to buy the lower-level speeder access as a legacy option. I know that these mystery boxes aren't being put into the game for my benefit.

I won't buy them. Simple and done. If you have a problem with them, I suggest that you don't buy them either.

But other people? They can do what they want to do, and if they buy these boxes, then more power to them. I hope they get what they are looking for.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

utio
10.13.2012 , 03:56 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
Stuff that I can take or leave, but that other people will willingly pay a little extra money to have.

You have a problem with people being given things that they can spend their money on if they want to?

No guns are being put to anyone's heads here. Your character can wear the gear that they have right now and perform just as well.

Heck, I have no problem not buying stuff. I have never even felt the need to buy the lower-level speeder access as a legacy option. I know that these mystery boxes aren't being put into the game for my benefit.

I won't buy them. Simple and done. If you have a problem with them, I suggest that you don't buy them either.

But other people? They can do what they want to do, and if they buy these boxes, then more power to them. I hope they get what they are looking for.
Exactly. My feeling on this is that the majority of complaints are less about gambling, and are really down to people thinking that there's going to be some nice shiney that they can't get unless its from a lockbox.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Setsugetsuka
10.13.2012 , 03:57 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post

See, the fact you don't want to buy it just furthers the part of my post talking about them needing to put more things in the Cash Shop. Don't forget, nor stray your mind from the dead hard fact that EA's main revenue from this game will now be the Cash Shop, so whatever they have to put in there to get you to buy something, by god, they'll put it in there, hell, they'll even put different colours on it and maybe a little flower on top and tell you it's the next biggest thing and expect you to buy that too.

utio
10.13.2012 , 04:27 AM | #46
See, the fact you don't want to buy it just furthers the part of my post talking about them needing to put more things in the Cash Shop. Don't forget, nor stray your mind from the dead hard fact that EA's main revenue from this game will now be the Cash Shop, so whatever they have to put in there to get you to buy something, by god, they'll put it in there, hell, they'll even put different colours on it and maybe a little flower on top and tell you it's the next biggest thing and expect you to buy that too.
What do you expect them to do? Put stuff in there no one will buy? What business would do that?
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Setsugetsuka
10.13.2012 , 05:36 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
What do you expect them to do? Put stuff in there no one will buy? What business would do that?
That's exactly my damn point. Meaning that they're going to eventually put things in there that people HAVE to buy to have an edge, because from what we've seen so far, instead of make the game worth the subscription, they just want a cash cow, so they're going to do whatever they can to milk you, they have thrown integrity out of the window.

Alec_Fortescue
10.13.2012 , 05:41 AM | #48
The only way that will make me tolerate the gambling boxes:
Armor set "x" sold on it's own - more expensive than gambling box - 100% certain
Armor set "x" can be found in the gambling box - cheaper - only a percentage of chance to get the specific piece you want

Should apply to all armor sets in the cash shop.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Alec_Fortescue
10.13.2012 , 05:43 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
Instead of gambling boxes containing random equippable items it would be much better idea to make them contain random consumables (I'd love Valor Boost!)
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Redat
10.13.2012 , 05:44 AM | #50
That's exactly my damn point. Meaning that they're going to eventually put things in there that people HAVE to buy to have an edge, because from what we've seen so far, instead of make the game worth the subscription, they just want a cash cow, so they're going to do whatever they can to milk you, they have thrown integrity out of the window.
QFT! Anyone who was playing STO from launch can remember the "nothing game changing will appear in the store" line by Cryptic, until they did this:

1) Put the "exclusive" pre-order rewards that people payed top dollars for into the store.
2) Put Ships/gear with better stats on the store making it pay2win overnight. (these items MAY be obtainable by other means if you want to grind for a few months if you are lucky....)
3) The great lock-box con......how blatantly cash-grabbing is that?

Mark my words, as soon as FTP hits you will see a raft of items in the store that WERE ear-marked as "content", there will be no more "content" other than store items (including new areas/planets/warzones).