Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lock box debate

Urael
10.15.2012 , 02:02 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
I don't understand "better" in this context. If they do what they have stated, (No advantage items), how would it be "better" than what can be obtained in game?
Quote:
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging." ~ EA CEO John Riccitiello http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE
Listen to the linked interview. If Riccitiello is up for this idea, what make you think EAware won't eventually follow STO and Pay2win?

I trust NOTHING that EAware says anymore.

kooffee
10.15.2012 , 02:04 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by utio View Post
How does there have to be a chance of nothing for it to be random? There will be no empty lockboxes. Of course the odds on getting a certain prize from one box isn't random. For it to be random there would have to be an equal chance to get all prizes. The randomness comes from multiple people opening multiple boxes. They all have an equal chance of getting the big prize, but it's random as to who gets it. It's that randomness that causes players to buy a box/key. I see that guy got a big prize, I'll try my luck kind of thing.

you what? i'm talking from there point of view not ours... like i said its ment to look random to the end user,

lets say 1000 lock boxes, if 999 of them are just fluff and the 1 is the "die for item" the item to drive the sales. there is still a chance no matter how slim, that 1 item may never see light of day or penetration is such no one see's it in game.

the exact opposite is needed however, market penetration they want you to see the item, that is what drives the sales. that's why sto spams your screen with "lucky winner" in fact i wouldn't be surprised if it was all fixed, and the odds are changed accordingly.

Example, Item A comes out, first few hours, the drop rate 1/50 then next day up it to 1/100 after all you don't have to post the odd's so no one knows if your fixing them to meet your own gain. and the silly punters will give u a quid a go regardless.

i know if i ran something smiler that's what i would do... that's why we have laws on gambling, and on odd's etc.

utio
10.15.2012 , 02:26 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Listen to the linked interview. If Riccitiello is up for this idea, what make you think EAware won't eventually follow STO and Pay2win?

Well ATM nothing in the boxes will be pay to win. If it happens then I guess you need to decide if you're willing to play swtor anymore. Just out of interest, what was the pay to win item sto put in a box?
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

Urael
10.15.2012 , 02:28 PM | #144
Well ATM nothing in the boxes will be pay to win. If it happens then I guess you need to decide if you're willing to play swtor anymore. Just out of interest, what was the pay to win item sto put in a box?
Blackavaar will have to field this question.

kooffee
10.15.2012 , 02:29 PM | #145
just about every ship in the sto boxes are more powerful and better than defaults.

utio
10.15.2012 , 02:29 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post
you what? i'm talking from there point of view not ours... like i said its ment to look random to the end user,

lets say 1000 lock boxes, if 999 of them are just fluff and the 1 is the "die for item" the item to drive the sales. there is still a chance no matter how slim, that 1 item may never see light of day or penetration is such no one see's it in game.

the exact opposite is needed however, market penetration they want you to see the item, that is what drives the sales. that's why sto spams your screen with "lucky winner" in fact i wouldn't be surprised if it was all fixed, and the odds are changed accordingly.

Example, Item A comes out, first few hours, the drop rate 1/50 then next day up it to 1/100 after all you don't have to post the odd's so no one knows if your fixing them to meet your own gain. and the silly punters will give u a quid a go regardless.

i know if i ran something smiler that's what i would do... that's why we have laws on gambling, and on odd's etc.
I don't see it as 1 box in a 1000 will have the big prize. I see it as 1000 boxes, all with, say, 1% chance of getting the top prize.

Sweetiepies
10.15.2012 , 02:29 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post

Ok...so why are we discussing it then? If its guaranteed to go down that path, why don't we all quit now and save the trouble?

utio
10.15.2012 , 02:32 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post
just about every ship in the sto boxes are more powerful and better than defaults.
I'm not sure that's right. What about the c store ships and the fleet upgrade ships. And isn't it the weapons, shields, consoles you use that determine power? I thought the lock box ships were just more desirable with a few perks, like on board dabo. I could be wrong though, haven't played sto for a while lol.

Urael
10.15.2012 , 02:40 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
Ok...so why are we discussing it then? If its guaranteed to go down that path, why don't we all quit now and save the trouble?
Did you listen to the end of this interview:

Quote:
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging." ~ EA CEO John Riccitiello http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE
I am all for making money for a company but, I don't want to end up like "John Riccitiello" and spend $5000 per calender year on a "game". Yeah, he said that.

Blackavaar
10.15.2012 , 02:45 PM | #150
I'm not sure that's right. What about the c store ships and the fleet upgrade ships. And isn't it the weapons, shields, consoles you use that determine power?
True, however the special consoles that the lockbox ships come with do make them more useful in many situations than most of the standard ships and even several of the C-Store ships that come with their own consoles. And besides it's not really about P2W that makes it suck. It's the fact that kool things that people have asked for since the game released (Cardassian and Ferengi starships, etc.) have been put in the lock boxes and as such will likely never be found by the majority of players, unless they mind spending mega bucks on keys to open tons of lock boxes that they have to grind to find in the first place.

It's like if SWTOR added the Luke Skywalker outfit from Return of the Jedi (or any really Jedi looking outfit that isn't a brown freaking robe) and put it in a box that had a 0.0006% chance to drop it and then charged you 5 bucks per key to open the boxes and made no other way to obtain the outfit.

Yeah, that's a cheap way to make a buck, BioWare. Don't do that. I will leave.

Do it Champions Online style. Make the boxes like grab bags that come with randomized items that are otherwise obtainable either in the game or sold in the store separately.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]