Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Taris even worth saving?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Taris even worth saving?

SnoggyMack
12.09.2012 , 12:16 PM | #41
On the topic of the thread:

Yes. I think Taris is worth saving.

It's Balmoraa that I think should be abandonded to the Colocoids. I never want to set foot on that planet again.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Mawduce
12.10.2012 , 05:46 PM | #42
short answer, no. long answer, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

maxetius
12.10.2012 , 08:00 PM | #43
A symbol? Sure I can buy that. Rebuilding the symbol what, three hundred years later? Pretty much meaningless. Why do you think morale was so pathetically low.

sithuprising
12.11.2012 , 03:35 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
What you need to remember is that Taris is an ecumenopolis - an entire planet covered in cityscape. Very few full planets, even in Star Wars, boast the same - Coruscant, Corellia, Alsakan and Anaxes are some of the few. Even Nar Shaddaa is merely a moon, far smaller than Taris.

The resources required to recolonize and reconstitute Taris are a microfraction of the resources required to create an entire ecumenopolis even on an already mostly urbanized planet. The original infrastructure is, according to several NPCs, "Surprisingly intact" as well.

It seems to me that it is like the world trade center's, it would cost more to clean up that rubble pile, then it would cost to build new buildings.

not the same scale but sometimes its easier to clean a slate and start again, the only reason Taris is being rebuilt is because of the symbol it provides the republic, and with a Sith empire on my arse i would probably be more worried about how many ships i can built this week, not how many repairs i can do on Taris.

xNYROx
12.11.2012 , 03:44 AM | #45
I HATE Taris, It is extremely boring. You would think with Rakghouls,a swamp and tons of other insane dangers they could have made it interesting but NO.

FINNT
12.11.2012 , 08:24 AM | #46
I feel Taris shows realistically how people in charge are eager to use money on completely useless and expensive projects (and take their own cut in between).
:laser:

Hyde_v
12.11.2012 , 09:18 AM | #47
If you ask me, knowing the future makes any kind of saving or reclaiming scheme rather fruitless. As far as Taris goes, we already know that even after three thousand years, Taris never recovers. So, would I want to help in a recovery project there? No. It would be futile. Of my characters, my Jedi would not mind helping. My smuggler wouldn't mind running supplies there (as long as she is paid, of course.) But that's about it.

Taris would seem to hold two purposes: one, it's a, if not THE, source for study of the rakghoul plague. Second, there is still that vault where the leaders of the planet in the past are frozen in carbonite. In that, there is still some value. Beyond that, I cannot think of any reason to restore the planet or what value it has.

Well, it can be a great source of scavanged metal. But recycling metal does not seem to be something those in the Star Wars universe seem to care to do. Especially when you consider that there are whole planets used for trash and old ship disposal.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

CrimsonOrigin
12.17.2012 , 03:43 AM | #48
Taris' purpose right now does seem silly. Well, for the Republic that is.

The Republic has not need to save the planet. It is in total ruin. Even if they were able to conquer the planet back, it would take even more resources to jump start it once more. Those resources should be distributed elsewhere.

Imperials know Taris' true purpose, however. A few of them stated that they are battling Republic forces on Taris simply to keep the enemy busy. As long as the Republic keeps spending, the Imperials are winning.