Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Taris even worth saving?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is Taris even worth saving?

RevanKnight
10.14.2012 , 09:15 AM | #31
Rakghouls were, at some point, completely gone. By the time of Cade Skywalker, they were extinct (except for the ones used by Celeste Morne).

natashina
10.14.2012 , 03:08 PM | #32
Another question I have is how they would get rid of the rahkghouls? Sure, they have an extremely long amount of time between ToR's point in the timeline and CWs. However, I do wonder how they could even get rid of the rakhghouls to make Taris worthwhile? I agree that the power of symbolism is very strong and perhaps even enough to clean up the planet fully. Just...how?

MGriffith
10.18.2012 , 03:46 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.
The arguments for reclaiming Taris are explained when you first arrive on the planet, and now that the Republic actually started with the work they have to see it through. It now must either become a symbol for the Republic or for the Empire. Any consideration if it was worthwhile to sink in billions of credits into the project have been made before the project started and are now largely irrelevant. The only reason the Republic can give up is when they have bigger problems that make losing this propaganda battle against the Empire seem insignificant. At that point it truly has become pointless as the Empire will have effectively won the war already and Taris is just a footnote in the story of that war.

The second, unvoiced but much more pressing, reason to go on with the reclamation is that Taris in its current form is pretty much a zombie factory chock full with an incredibly valuable hoard of metals, precious and regular. Scavengers will come to the planet and sooner or later they will bring the plague off world. And if not them then the Empire or another lunatic hell bent on galactic domination will seek to weaponise the rakghouls. With a disaease that virulent and that mutable it will fail as a weapon but it will still cause the death of triillions of people and turn any planet effectively uninhabitable that gets infected.
So the Republic needs to establish a foothold there and study the rakghouls and ways to contain or erradicate them. Before somebody else does the same and dumps a few dozen rakghouls on each of their major planets.

TalonVII
10.18.2012 , 08:05 AM | #34
Guys, it doesn't matter if it is worth to save Taris or not.

By the time of when Jacen Solo becomes Darth Caedus, the planet is back to the state it was before malak wrecked it.

Boba Fett has apartments on the planet and it's home away from Mandalore when he is out and about.

Whether or not it is saved is a moot point. It has already BEEN saved in cannon. Moot Point.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight

gronkmaker
10.20.2012 , 01:25 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

Speaking of politicians...

Spoiler

I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

Thoughts?
Taris is worth saving, even though it costs precious time and resources, it will remind the galaxy of the Republic's power and determination. And if any Rakghouls come along i'll either or them.

QuiQuaeQuod
12.08.2012 , 12:02 AM | #36
Taris is by far my most hated planet in SW:ToR. I mean, they're all just mario-levels with no value other than combat grinding and quests, but Taris is my least favourite. It's a complete pain in the arse, it's riddled with random aggro mobs every 10 paces and is a pain to travel around.

Tatooine a close second.

So many wasted worlds, a game full of set mario level planets with no lasting appeal after you've done the killing and quests on them.

bionamaster
12.08.2012 , 01:04 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by MGriffith View Post
The arguments for reclaiming Taris are explained when you first arrive on the planet, and now that the Republic actually started with the work they have to see it through. It now must either become a symbol for the Republic or for the Empire. Any consideration if it was worthwhile to sink in billions of credits into the project have been made before the project started and are now largely irrelevant. The only reason the Republic can give up is when they have bigger problems that make losing this propaganda battle against the Empire seem insignificant. At that point it truly has become pointless as the Empire will have effectively won the war already and Taris is just a footnote in the story of that war.

The second, unvoiced but much more pressing, reason to go on with the reclamation is that Taris in its current form is pretty much a zombie factory chock full with an incredibly valuable hoard of metals, precious and regular. Scavengers will come to the planet and sooner or later they will bring the plague off world. And if not them then the Empire or another lunatic hell bent on galactic domination will seek to weaponise the rakghouls. With a disaease that virulent and that mutable it will fail as a weapon but it will still cause the death of triillions of people and turn any planet effectively uninhabitable that gets infected.
So the Republic needs to establish a foothold there and study the rakghouls and ways to contain or erradicate them. Before somebody else does the same and dumps a few dozen rakghouls on each of their major planets.
First of all, the Galaxy already almost had a brush with Rakghoul Disaster. Several, in fact. First, the basic Rakghouls on Taris. Then, the Stardream brought the plague to Tatooine (yes, the Outbreak was canonical). Then, finally, the Lorrick crisis, bringing zombifying chaos to Kaon and Ord Mantell. So yeah, your opinion is quite valid.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

LegendaryBlade
12.08.2012 , 01:12 PM | #38
Someone please tell me i'm not the only lightside character that chose to kill the Rakghouls (both the first time with the ambush, and then later against the holo-jedi's wishes)
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Eillack
12.08.2012 , 01:25 PM | #39
Well obviously it does get restored seeing that it was very active and rebuilt by the GCW.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

SnoggyMack
12.09.2012 , 12:02 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by RevanKnight View Post
No. The sith emperor used a dark side ritual to kill the planet as a way to become immortal.
I wouldn't put Nathema on a list of destroyed planets though. The planet is fine. Everything there is in perfect working condition. And the atmosphere is fine.

It's just been wiped clean of all living things. Poof. Gone.

And it's probably not a fun place for force sensitives to be around.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"